Collecting Prize money.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

Just thought i would ask the question based on something that happened to me the other day regarding picking up outstanding prize money from June. I was told by the very pleasant young lady at the counter that i should consider myself lucky it was still there because had the ground owners been present that week it would have been withdrawn.

Are there any rules at registered events that the ground should state clearly the time limit for collecting winnings due to the fact we cannot always get back as soon as the next event takes place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never known a limit shun in fact I have known of money being collected after a year. As you say clear rule should be displayed if there is a limit on time

I have known people pick up money at mid-norfolk after 2 years. Not so sure about other grounds. Sporting targets has the best system

They send a cheque.

This came up recently after an experience I had. I believe that it has to be clearly displayed that prize monies are only to be held for a limited time if that's their policy. However, if you ask, they have to post you a cheque, you do not have to return to the ground to collect it. I was told my money had gone to charity - although couldn't be told which one! IMO I totally disagree with this, I will avoid grounds that do this where possible, I cannot see how it's justified at all.

Cheque sounds a good option obviously minus clerical and postage. i would rather it be donated to a good cause then see it disappear into the back pocket of the ground owner. (no offence intended)

I was told my money had gone to charity - although couldn't be told which one!

Yes that will be the ground owners benevolent fund ... disgusting behaviour by the ground. If you are going to steal people's money under the guise of giving to charity at least let the benefactor know the charity they are helping!

edit

i would rather it be donated to a good cause then see it disappear into the back pocket of the ground owner

Yes but surely it would be better if a ground has a policy of doing this they state their policies and name their charities before they take your money! That way you have a sense wellbeing of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone that shoots with us will know we have a long list of prize money going back years and our view is it is always the shooters money and not ours top give away. We are always happy to post out or have it picked up by a friend. And there will never be a time limit.

Why don't grounds all have a common policy of say 3 months to collect it.

All winnings not collected after this time is then put into a pot and shot for at X-Mas with the prizes equally divided between the classes.

Anyone not there on that day who wins forfeits to the next score.

I have asked for cheques to be sent, most won't. Most times it costs more to collect it than you get.

Today I won 1/2 entry fee for joint 1st. Well happy with £20.

Anyone that shoots with us will know we have a long list of prize money going back years and our view is it is always the shooters money and not ours top give away. We are always happy to post out or have it picked up by a friend. And there will never be a time limit.
Totally agree with the above, it s the shooters money, the only ground where I am aware of a timeframe for collection is Kegworth (that being said its not something I've paid much attention to in the past as it's rare for me to actually win anything). Kegworth do advertise on their website that the they will hold winnings for a period of one Year.

Until the CPSA makes rules regarding prize money - not "guidelines" (def grey area) - grounds/clubs will do their own thing!

Prize money should be displayed for all to see that the total prize fund is going back to the winners - and NO, the prize money does not include VAT

If I were the ground owner I would prefer to get rid as otherwise it is a pain carting around envelopes to shoots or keeping the records of who is owed what.  

Strikes me the system is almost banking on shooters not collecting or forgetting about their winnings over time.  

Much easier to write a cheque and put it in the post and then there is evidence that its been paid out and not given or taken by the wrong person.  

No doubt some shooters will say they don't want it posted as the wife will open the envelope and see the cheque!

Tough - I'd send out cheques!

Strikes me the system is almost banking on shooters not collecting or forgetting about their winnings over time.  
There's no maybe about it, I doubt more than a fraction of the many thousands that go walkies every year actually get donated  :rolleyes:  anywhere other than the purse keepers pocket.

It actually isn't at all hard to keep records, a single blank A4 book could be split into many years worth of winners lists and you don't have to cart around envelopes everywhere either, just hand the readies over or deduct from their entry when they turn up. 

It is absolutely NOT the ground owners to give away and I would consider 1 year as a minimum time limit. It's almost a good job the sums we're talking about are so paltry otherwise I could imagine some pretty irate arguments.

All this talk of cheques....... BANK TRANSFER anyone, you could even write your account number and sort code on your scorecard......

I've won prize money on at least 10+ occasions over the past few years and have only collected money twice (sporting)

The most recent was 1st in class at Detling 2 months ago but unlikely to be going back for a while so I'm guessing the money will have gone haha!

Sporting Targets is great and I believe cheques are the answer! I received a cheque from the CPSA for being placed in the English Open at Nottingham (skeet)

Although, last year at the Skeet Doubles British Open, I came 2nd in class, won prize money but the system put me in the wrong class so someone else got my medal and money! After emailing CPSA, I received my medal 3 months later but no money nevermind

Please let's just clarify - to the best of my knowledge it's a fairly small number of grounds that don't hold onto prize money indefinitely

The way we view prize money is that it is not ours. We collect it, we look after it, we distribute it back to the shooters based on results. We do not bank it or account for it (hence no cheques or bank transfer).

We do hold prize money for 2 years, if it has not been collected in that time it gets recycled back into the prize fund pot (if we have a £35 prize to split we use £5 out the pot and give both shooters £20). That policy is stated on our website.

The CPSA does need to tighten up all it's rules across the board not just with prize money, then you guys, the shooters, will get the same service levels at all grounds. Or maybe I'm just living on cloud cuckoo land!

Peeps...CPSA has no control over prize money unless it is their competition....fact.

Prize money is the shooters money not the grounds...as many above have said.

You pay your competition money...and if you win...IT IS YOURS...no one can decide a time limit...or give it away.

Not all grounds can send a cheque because of restricted bank access for clubs on small accounts.

But....if you really want your money...then get your ass back to collect it. The answer is in your own hands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back