Coaching

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Simon,

Like you, I'm a 'Joe Bloggs' shooter who's just trying to improve - I have goals in shooting, but these are conservative and, realistically, I don't expect to be winning any event's High Gun any time soon. That's just where I am with my shooting. I've only just reached a stage where I'm consistently batting mid-60s in reg comps, but it wasn't all that long ago I was batting in the late 20s-early 30s ex 100.

So the realisation was: do I just keep turning up for both reg comp's and practice days and fling lead down a range, and just hope to improve, or do I do something about it and seek the advice of someone who has probably forgotten more about shooting clays than I'll ever know? Someone with the pedigree of winning major events and with whom I'd progress?

There is, frankly, only one answer to these two questions: I needed a coach if I was to improve.

Don't be intimidated or "anxious due to their level and achievements" - remember, like the rest of us, they had to start somewhere, too. Grasp the nettle and get yourself a coach - it's amazing the progress you'll have made after only one half-day session.

And remember, coaching is like any other endeavour: you can't expect to speak fluent French or drive a car safely after only one lesson; take a series of lessons and you'll watch yourself improve.

As to which coach you should use, my only advice is take soundings from other shooters whom you respect; those who've used a named coach and can tell you about how they've made progress. I chose my coach on that basis and have seen my scores improve. I'm confident yours can too with the right coach.

Good luck. 
There is another route, which is a compromise between the totally self taught (unadvisable if you want to progress and potentially awful unless you want to cement bad habits) and the full on coaching route. It is what I did; which was to have a regular practice shoot, with a caddy at a decent established ground such as EJC, WLSS, RBSS. While this is NOT coaching or a lesson, the caddy will offer enough tips for you speed the learning up. They will stop you doing anything daft, unsafe or pointless. If like me you are fairly analytical and prepared to read up a bit, this combined process is another route to progressing reasonably quickly and enjoyably. just a few good lessons dotted through the process (1 every 10 or so sessions) are of course a benefit. I am not saying it is the ultimate learning route, but I did enjoy it and it was sufficient after 8 months of weekly practice to put me straight in B class when I went competition shooting.

To repeat, it's not the ultimate progression tool, but it may suit some, especially given geographical location and time constraints etc.

Don't make me me wear a tin hat for this one folks. It's just a way of going that may suit some. I actually enjoyed finding stuff out for myself, even though I went down some daft dead ends. You just need to know when to stop and turn back some times. :)

Lock stock and barrel..

Thanks for the reply, I to am averaging your scores 60/70 and seemed to have hit the wall, I think I would have reached for the help of a top coach through frustration in the end and sod the embarrassment..

As an ex 2 handicap golfer, I would suggest reading Bob Rotella's books. They are brilliant. Did Jack Nicklaus need them ? No!
However to win now you need all the help you can get.

What has this got to do with shooting?
Lots!

They are both quantitative sports.

In golf, you compete against yourself. Same with shooting!
Read " its not a game of perfect" and use it to prepare your mind to shoot.

Some key points-

To play golf as well as he can, a player must focus his mind tightly on the shot he is playing now, in the present.

A golfer's brain and nervous system perform best when they are focused on a small, precise target.

The difference between a dream and fantasy is commitment.

Keep it in the present.

Never look at your score card during a round.

Ring any bells with your last registered?

Ac

Ps. I have been on one of Phil Coley's masterclasses and it was brilliant!

Lock stock and barrel..

Thanks for the reply, I to am averaging your scores 60/70 and seemed to have hit the wall, I think I would have reached for the help of a top coach through frustration in the end and sod the embarrassment..
On the upside, as was explained to me by my coach recently, with your current batting average, you still have 30/35 clays to find on a course, so plenty more to go for  in terms of improvement - whereas once you're in the 90s, you can seriously struggle to find those extra 8/10 birds. Indeed, a good proportion of shooters never do. That's not an indictment on them, just the nature of the sport.

...  Keep it in the present. Never look at your score card during a round. Ring any bells with your last registered? ...
Agree completely. I've only just stopped doing this and am happier for it. Concentrate only on the next clay - you can't change what you've already shot and hit/missed* (delete as appropriate).

Agree completely. I've only just stopped doing this and am happier for it. Concentrate only on the next clay - you can't change what you've already shot and hit/missed* (delete as appropriate).
I was told many years ago that....."what's hit is history, what's missed is mystery". Basically one must focus on the next bird and not dwell on the ones that have already gone. That was told to me by an old mentor of mine, a great shooter and a great coach too, he wouldn't have even known what  sports psychology was, in fact it probably wasn't even invented back then!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that as Nic stated earlier, sports psychology has always existed we just didn't call it that. The difference now is that instead of learning over time and then implementing your own "psychology" that works for you we are now told we need to be "taught" as opposed to "learn" it by a qualified chap for goodness knows how much per hour otherwise we will not improve or ever be able to compete properly. A kind of "experience fast track"

I was told many years ago that....."what's hit is history, what's missed is mystery". Basically one must focus on the next bird and not dwell on the ones that have already gone. That was told to me by an old mentor of mine, a great shooter and a great coach too, he wouldn't have even known what  sports psychology was, in fact it probably wasn't even invented back then!
He may not have called it sports psychology but that is exactly what it is - back then it would have just been wise words from someone who has been there and done it.  Just the same as advice such as 'only worry about the variables that you can control', 'take one shot at a time' 'you can do it' etc.

------

Sorry just noticed that i cross posted with ips.  I just took a long time to actually click the post button.

I have now been throwing lead in the air, and having a lot of fun for around 10 months, I am averaging around 50-60% and have been for the last 4 months.

But have recently started entering competitions and I want to improve. So lessons it is.

Until reading this thread, it would probably have been a couple of lessons at a local club with the old guy that does it for a few extra quid at the weekend. I would never have dreamed of approaching a big name coach, for all the usual reasons new guys like me to the sport probably have in theirs heads.

Why would they want to coach a regular Joe like me?

I couldn't possibly approach these people, they would just laugh and send me on my way.

But now maybe I will make a few inquiries. 

My wife on the other hand is a different matter entirely. Shooting 5 months. Really hacked off she only got 50% the first time she picked up a gun. Must win everything and only the best will do.

I have now been throwing lead in the air, and having a lot of fun for around 10 months, I am averaging around 50-60% and have been for the last 4 months.

But have recently started entering competitions and I want to improve. So lessons it is.

Until reading this thread, it would probably have been a couple of lessons at a local club with the old guy that does it for a few extra quid at the weekend. I would never have dreamed of approaching a big name coach, for all the usual reasons new guys like me to the sport probably have in theirs heads.

Why would they want to coach a regular Joe like me?

I couldn't possibly approach these people, they would just laugh and send me on my way.

But now maybe I will make a few inquiries. 

My wife on the other hand is a different matter entirely. Shooting 5 months. Really hacked off she only got 50% the first time she picked up a gun. Must win everything and only the best will do.
Go to a good coach that knows, understands and preferably shoots the same discipline as you do. If you shoot sporting I would suggest our very own Ed Solomons, he seems to be very well thought of on the forum. If you shoot trap, well Claudio Capaldo, Peter Croft or Ian Coley are three that spring to mind. If you shoot skeet, well I'm not sure who are the best skeet coaches these days to be honest, I think Alan Warren used to be well thought of!

Oh Matthew, Im so very disappointed in you...

Gene, any questions then feel free to fire away both on here or through my website, always happy to chat.

Ed

Latest posts

Back