Clay Shooting Classic - EJ Churchills

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciated the sim pair with mega r-l crosser and r-l battue. Watched a whole squad screw it up taking closer bird first. I was very glad to hit 7 ex 8 doing it the other way round..
Didn't look like that when we got to it. The wind had changed and the crosser stalled in the wind and dropped down like a stone. I would have preferred it with some speed in it but by he time I'd shot the chondelle it was slowing/dropping and horrible to try to hit

Had a good day yesterday, had a good laugh on the way round especially a.m thought the red course was great, underwhelmed on the blue course thought it needed to be on virgin ground, however i am a local so should of shot better regardless. For me the break was too long and i didnt manage my energy levels at all well coupled with an early shift that finished at 8am by 1.30pm i was knackered and was not giving the course the respect it deserved
Consequently when making mistakes in the afternoon i changed nothing, so nothing changed. Should of had a kip but decide not to.

Overall a good day out. Interesting targets, no delays hardly any no birds freindly refs and a good squad with plenty fluffy rabbits

Thought the food was poor so i would consider bringing your own, i wish i had, mine endedup in the bin.

Didn't look like that when we got to it. The wind had changed and the crosser stalled in the wind and dropped down like a stone. I would have preferred it with some speed in it but by he time I'd shot the chondelle it was slowing/dropping and horrible to try to hit
Yes, it did stop when we shot it also. But I shot the long bird first, under power, a long way out. It was at least going in a straight line there.

First time at EJ's for me. Was impressed with the size of the ground,thought both layouts were good,red especially. Well run,no hold ups,good refs. Over 2 hours was too much of a break for me,midway through the second round I was mentally knackered and feeling the recoil. Pulled myself together for our last stand on blue (grouse butt) and shot a straight 8,to end on a high. Finished on 112. 58 red/54 blue. Was great to watch Ed shooting well and walk into our last stand knowing he needed a straight to equal George,held his nerve and blasted a straight 8 on a tough stand that we already knew took 4 targets from George. If it wasn't for that bad bounce on the rabbit,he'd be sitting pretty in second place. Well shot mate.

Seemed a lot of folk enjoyed it. Agree, the long break was a bit long.

Amused to witness the squad in front of us. They had some shooters who were not exactly in it to win. Each time a stand was blanked a duck-call was blown by their supportive squad colleagues. :)

Lovely day - really glad to be back out with the gun after 4 weeks off (elbow still not fully mended, but no severe pain today)

Started slowly - with a 40 on red, nothing blanked, but a few that caught me out - better this afternoon with a 55 on the Blue Course, including straighting a few stands.

Squad was very depleted, only three of us, me, a gamekeeper from the Dashwood Estate, and Cheryl Hall - who was an absolute pleasure to watch and shoot with - and finished on a stellar 138 - really good shooting.

As said before - organisation good, no breakdowns, and well set up - glad I made a late decision to do it. Saw loads of ShootClay members, will be seeing a few more this weekend as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a great day today with Jem, Teepee, Ian & 3 other guys which I do apologise I can't remember their names, but I am sure Jem will put me right with them.

Top day started on stand 8 red course and a full house! so pleased just set my day up. I think overall my score was 81 good for me.

Fantastic day, great squad, great weather and loved the set up, so pleased I went!

Thank you to the guys for all your encouragement as we went round :)

Well, just back from a great day out, meeting friends and new shooters alike. Have to confess to having one of the worst shoots for a long time, only managing a total of 59 for the day, I would have hoped for 75 ish on a normal shoot. A mixture of nerves and a lack of concentration did it for me. No question I found the Blue course easier.

I can't recommend the experience more, the only way to appreciate these type of events is to take part. Next year we will be there and our scores WILL be better.

Great to talk with everyone we bumped into and well shot everyone who was there (especially ShootClay members)!!

Had a good day here today. Shot red first started on 8 not a good start for me but ended struggling for the rest of the course! I took about four stands to warm up and get into it, gonna have to get that sorted!

Blue was much better for me started on 8 and I enjoyed it more, even managed to hit a few driven (as crossers) .. Everything seemed to run smoothly and well organised.

All in all a good day and happy with 99.

Had a good day here today. Shot red first started on 8 not a good start for me but ended struggling for the rest of the course! I took about four stands to warm up and get into it, gonna have to get that sorted!

Blue was much better for me started on 8 and I enjoyed it more, even managed to hit a few driven (as crossers) .. Everything seemed to run smoothly and well organised.

All in all a good day and happy with 99.
Well shoot Jason ....! :good:

Good prizemoney and Bens setting the targets this year so should be worth shooting. Ive felt the last two have been real let downs on target quality, although organisation is great as ever with the Classic. It really needs to revert to a greenfield site in my mind as it just isnt the same being at an established venue.

Id say give it a go this year, but hopefully it will be off to pastures new next time which should be a bit closer to what the classic used to be.
I remember shooting what may have been the first one of these shoots when it was held at Gurston Down back in the 90's. Followed a very young Richard Faulds round, this was just before he went to his first Olympics I believe.

It was a really great shoot and one that I fear will never be repeated.

As you say it should be on virgin ground, well for clay shooting anyway, it's just not the same when it's held on an established ground.

42 and 60 Red then Blue.
Rued a poor blue course. Should have done better.
Hey ho 102.
Light of my target.
But happy overall.
Great day great squad.
Shot with Paul Simpson he can put a score together. Well shot Paul.
esysenur.jpg

Who's that young scamp on the left?!

Amended as it seems I cant add up or hit that many clays!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember shooting what may have been the first one of these shoots when it was held at Gurston Down back in the 90's. Followed a very young Richard Faulds round, this was just before he went to his first Olympics I believe.
It was a really great shoot and one that I fear will never be repeated.
As you say it should be on virgin ground, well for clay shooting anyway, it's just not the same when it's held on an established ground.
Gurston Down - what a shoot that was!
Agree it should be on a virgin ground, I enjoyed it better two years ago when this was the case at Churchills.

Latest posts

Back