Cartridge mini test

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Holmes

Inadvertently carried out a mini comparison/test at the weekend.

Mrs H and myself went off to Maulden and shot the 70 bird sporting with Fiocchi Top1s.

Then hooked up with a couple of friends and did the 50 birds sporting at Flitwick. only I didn't chuck enough carts in the van, so we had to buy some at the ground. 

They only had Rio Target load £4 a box

Both carts were 28g 7.5 fibre.

I shot 47ex70 with the Top1s and 41ex50 with the Rios

This is the first shoot for a while for Mrs H after surgery around her shoulder area, but she had no problem with the Top1s she even had  perfect starburst breaks on a really distant looper, that I missed all of.

The Rio's in comparison, kicked like a mule, the clays turned to dust, but we were both suffering a little after using them.

Having heard how "clean" the Fiochi's are supposed to be,. I checked the gun after the 70 bird shoot. There seemed to be the usual amount of crap evident. No more, no less.

The Rio's were about the same. However, there was a lot of black confetti with the Rio's

So there you go. Not an in depth test, just a comparison that was kind of forced on me.

The Fiochi's were nice and soft, but appeared to break everything well.

The Rio's dusted everything, but kicked a bit harder.

Personally I've frequently used Rio and the Fiocchi top 1s occasionally. The fibre version of both will leave stuff in the Barrels but nothing like the muck from an Eleys first fibre. However the plastic versions of both are much cleaner. As I've said on another post Rios leave virtually nothing in my barrels and I don't notice any recoil which is why they are my favourite for everything from sporting to OSK when I'm on target they smash things to bits!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I've frequently used Rio and the Fiocchi top 1s occasionally. The fibre version of both will leave stuff in the Barrels but nothing like the muck from an Eleys first fibre. However the plastic versions of both are much cleaner. As I've said on another post Rios leave virtually nothing in my barrels and I don't notice any recoil which is why they are my favourite for everything from sporting to OSK when I'm on target they smash things to bits!!
The Rio's certainly did destroy everything we managed to hit.But shooting them at the same time as the Top1 the recoil was noticeably more.

Had I shot them on their own, I probably wouldn't have noticed that much.

Latest posts

Back