Coaching/ Gamefair & Great Wall Motor Series

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Thought I'd give a review on all three, as i managed to combine them all today

I popped down to the Sussex game fair today at Parham house.

Initially it was to have a coaching session with a BASC coach, and then to look at participating with an entry to the Great Wall Motor World Series Clay Shooting Championship

After some trepidation about rocking up with my OU and a bag of shells, a quick look at the FAQ on the show's website,  clarified this was perfectly OK 

(As it was I wasn't alone, as there were loads of people wandering round all day with gun slips over there shoulders)

Next up was a session with a BASC coach,   it was either a 10 shot have a go, or a coaching session with birds of your choice + gun fit & eye dominance checks .

The eye dominance was no problem as we thought, and the coach commented that the comb had been set well to give me the correct rib eye  relationship.

One thing he spotted, was an inconsistency with my mount which caused  rib./ eye position to move slightly in the height plane .  He then showed me a very quick way to mount the gun, which brought my head into the comb every time, and reduced the height difference.

Onto the shooting...  I wanted help with my crossers & going away birds, so a suitable stand was selected, and we went to work.

We worked out a way I can select the correct lead, and  consistently hit the bird, 

we then finished on a Sim pair of an incomer and a going away.

I was asked how I would take the pair, and after some mental analysis I described my initial thoughts, and  reasons  I rejected it.  moving on to my second choice of taking the pair.

The coach agreed that my approach for the second choice was how he would have taken them

So after talking through the shot  took it.

Broke them both :)

Then we had another discussion on areas for me to practice on at home.

All in all I was very pleased, and it gave me a big boost :)

Not bad for £20   would have been £15 if i was a BASC member

Great Wall Motor World Series Clay Shooting Campionship

Moving on from the coaching session, i wandered over to the shooting are proper, and  entered the 50 bird sporting qualifier  for the Great Wall Motor World Series Clay Shooting Campionship   I didn't do it by halves .

Signed on and wandered out to survey the stands  .. I hadn't got more than 15 feet away from the registration stand, and i was approached by the paparazzi..  Bugger the disguise had been rumbled  .

They asked if I was happy to do a quick interview  for the game fair and the Great Wall Motor World Series Clay Shooting Championship

Now as you know I'm a  rather handsome and debonair  chap so I was more than happy to present my best side to the ladies , sorry I mean camera  ;)

Interview over it was onto shoot ..

Nothing like baptism of fire, not only was stand number one a BIG stand, it was right on the edge of the main  event, so there were lots of spectators,,, 

A world apart from your local straw bailer, with only other shooters to watch you ...

Standing waiting to shoot the enormity of what I had taken on sunk in ... 

Watching shooters in front of me miss the birds presented, wasn't a good feeling, although a small part of me, figured each shot they missed, pushed them down the leader board, 

Not that  a certain anyone in the U/C  class was going to walk away with the prize money . . but we have to aspire to something.

Eventually my name was called and I stepped into the cage

Stand 1

L/R looper OR L/R Crosser

(Read Ferris wheel and scud missile) 

That was one big looper, and the crosser was quick too

You had to get under the  looper, shoot,  then bounce up and right at 45 degrees with a mighty rapid swing to get onto the disappearing  crosser ... 

First  pair called ...

Lets just say the Ferris wheel completed its rotation, and the scud missile  was last seen heading into low earth orbit ...   dam it was quick

And the crowd didn't see m that impressed either, well that's what it felt like to me

2nd pair

Missed the looper again, but  the technique I picked up from the coaching session worked, and  the scud missile was shot down over enemy territory :)   happy Santa

3rd pair 

Stopped the Ferris wheel at 3 0cklock, but couldn't catch the crosser and it escaped .

So I knew I could hit them, it was just a matter of timing

4th pair

Yay,  nailed them both,  Happy or what, not much else to say here

Last pair

Disappointing, I  missed the looper, but nailed the crosser,  although it  felt good that i got the crosser again though  ..

Didn't win the crowd over with my shooting prowess, but hey you cant win them all

5ex10

OK I was on the leader board,  at the bottom, but i wasn't going out with a duck.

Stand 2

Rabbits!!!

R/L  or L/R  going away

Not just normal rabbits, but  wild angry rabbits, boy did these bugsy's jump.. 

Now I like rabbits, and the R/L ones were almost at waist height when they jumped , so keeping the gun level paid off, and I took 4 out of the 5 presented

The L/R going away rabbits are going to require work,  no matter what I did they didn't  break, either that, or they have developed lead immunity as I'm sure I got them 

4ex10

Stand 3

Going away or R/L crosser

One of those stands where you realise the gulf between a shooter and a good shooter

Everything is big,  very big!

The chap in front of me had minimal gun movement, and every clay broke with virtually no travel into the stand..   how the hell was I going to hit them 

Missed the going away but I managed to get the crosser, 

(crossers are my new best friend :))  

Something must have clicked, because i got the next two pairs  ( Omg....  Santa taking pairs  )Then a wobble and the going away's started to escape, but i managed to bring it back, and  finished the stand on a killed pair

7 ex 10  

Wow  that was a buzz   my best yet :)

Stand 4

L-R Looper & incoming std Sim

Another big looper, and a rapid incoming bird   

Initial thoughts were mixed, I really didn't have a plan with this stand, other than see the looper and try to get back for the incomer.   

How to do that wasn't in the game plan by this stage it was just  see and shoot

Started off badly,  missed the looper but got the incoming ...    

Then took the next 3 pairs clean ...   hang on, I must have made a mistake ...

the run didn't last though, and i missed the last incoming bird

8 ex 10    yup  8!!    

The huge grin on my face was evident to see as i walk away from the stand..  

8 ex 10   8 ex 10     :)    ok you get the Picture i was happy

Stand 5

Going away Std + LR std  Sim

Stand 5  

Buoyed by my recent outing at stand 4, I watched the others shooting stand 5.

The going away didn't look to bad, but the crosser finished up in the bows of a very large oak tree, so you didn't get a huge  amount of time to shoot it .

Most people were taking the going away first and then the crosser, so i elected to follow suit 

Missed the first going away but nailed the crosser ...

Then it was a dream, took the next 3 pairs, and only dropped the last crosser

8 ex 10   AGAIN!!!!

Final score on the card ... 32 ex 50

And to cap it all  I was 5th on the leader board for  UC entrants  

(although this did drop to 14th after the afternoon session)

So all in all a very good day ,

really pleased about having a coaching session ,  and absobloodylutly  ecstatic  with my score for the Great Wall Motor World Series Clay Shooting Campionship

Cant wait for my next straw bailer  :)

:santa:

Think it's time to get out and do some registered shoots Santa ?

Although if he does, let's hope we don't get a review of all 50 pairs every Sunday night.. ?
Although I really loved Santa's description of a shoot he did a good while back - really wish I could find it again as it had me in stitches.

Although I really loved Santa's description of a shoot he did a good while back - really wish I could find it again as it had me in stitches.
Funny i was looking for it as well,   it seems to have  vanished   

Nice write up. I did watch at kelmarsh earlier in the year. I wish i had entered rather than walking round the game fair tbh

If planning on having a go or a lesson with BASC best you turn up well before the end of the show. For some reason at Parham they closed the doors well before show end although there was no information on display to actually tell you this fact. So having been told that there was one hours wait we then trudged around the show and returned after one hour and ten minutes to find they were closed - a tad frustrating. Even more so that shooting was still ongoing and a number of instructors were standing alongside, wonderfully adorned in BASC jackets but doing eeerm nothing!  So much potential...................

If planning on having a go or a lesson with BASC best you turn up well before the end of the show. For some reason at Parham they closed the doors well before show end although there was no information on display to actually tell you this fact. So having been told that there was one hours wait we then trudged around the show and returned after one hour and ten minutes to find they were closed - a tad frustrating. Even more so that shooting was still ongoing and a number of instructors were standing alongside, wonderfully adorned in BASC jackets but doing eeerm nothing!  So much potential...................
I got there at 11, and went and did that first ..

Once that and the shooting was out of the way, i wandered round the show :)

Watch this space, i'm sure Webby will be along immininently to give further details to the 2015 shootclay cup :)

We need to arrange a strawbailer Santa, I spend way too much time at Fareham, haven't shot anywhere else!
Always OWLS lodge next saturday :)     

Sporting, skeet, & OT  :)

Latest posts

Back