Big Teal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have agree with Hamster's comments that provide a grown up balance, something I am not very good at.

Richard Faulds is nice bloke although i have only spoken to him a couple of times and has a nice ground although only shot there once.

Ian is a great bloke whose opinions and efforts in the sport will be missed very much and will be difficult to replace, really helped me over the last year so cant agree with Nicola's opinion here.

Nic does make me laugh with her comments on here that are always welcome, but as the saying goes you can't please all the people all of the time.

For FACT sake I'm going to summarise the relevance of Big Teal. 

Yes it is possible to hit and break a looooooooong clay with bigger than usual pellets such as 5's.

It is largely luck and falls well below the real achievements of men such as RF and GD.

RF is a nice bloke, so is his ground.

Wylye is a nice bloke, so is his ground.

If you can pull the trigger of a gun I can personally coach you to the standard necessary to achieve these feats.
Sorry Hamster I'm going to have to disgree with you on some points here.  :spiteful:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I was joking, honest.  No , really! I just never wanted to see this thread disappear. It's given everybody hours & hours of interesting conversation.

It's good to talk!!!!!  :biggrin:

Those "Z's" are only about 50mm or two inches in old money...got some way to go hammy to make 75 yards

Those "Z's" are only about 50mm or two inches in old money...got some way to go hammy to make 75 yards
hahaha they might look like that but they are about 12".....and if they are at fast revs they will make more than 75 yds....but remember....chips do not count :wink:

At Rugby if wound up...they take of on A layout and land the otherside of B layout....true story...!

Not if you use the right Italian 24g  :nyam:   :nhl: .
24 grms can hit them....but not all the time....and baseball bats are no use in this discipline....you need skill AND luck :laugh:

What are you on about....you strange man.

When does reporting a fact become a promo...?? Are you really that jealous that you could not do it or those at your 'ground' could not do it. I do hope that you keep trying when you find another one.

131.5 yds was shot ....twice...!! FACT.

Owls Lodge run a great friendly ground.......!! FACT

Lots of people like shooting there (including me as it is the nearest...yet does not have my own discipline).....!! FACT

Not sure how saying that I missed this teal......will benefit me...?? You will have to explain that one.

What exactly is the point to your post.....come on man....man up and say clearly what you are hinting at.

For those who do not know Wylye's ways on here.....I had better issue the following disclaimer.

1. I do not own any part of Owls Lodge.....I just enjoy shooting there. Just like I love shooting at A1.

2. Who ever asked above (cannot see from iPhone).......no I am not Tanya.....she is the very pretty thin glamorous one. (I am the fat old one who is some times shooting there)

3. I do not work at Owls Lodge. (If fact Ian....I do not have to work at all since selling the Engineering Company....although I still choose to do so in various little things that give me pleasure :wink: )

4. I pay for all my shooting when at Owls ...A1....or where ever else I shoot.

5. However.....I did not pay for my 6 goes at the teal....i forgot in all the excitement...but I did try.....because i went back in to offer.

Hope that help for those that do not know Ian's little ways.....he is know for them....
Must replace that fly, its getting to be a bit ragged and worn out.  

You owe Richard two quid by the way! More if he supplied the cartridges, which I expect he did. I doubt those F-Pink things you shoot would break it.

Well ian, i see you are using avoidance tactic again ....when you have been called out....this .....is you M O.

Can I suggest that you do not make spurious comments that you are not comfortable explaining to those reading.

It just makes you look weak....or lacking a backbone to not be able to say what you want.....something I have never had a problem doing.

As for the teal.....back on topic, I did in fact use my own cartridge.....I just lacked the skill to break it.

I would love pink cartridges by the way....what a good idea....and how in touch with your feminine side to suggest it. Thank you.

If you follow the same logic that it can be done, then you can shoot  pheasants that are 150 yards out as they are a bigger target...but would anyone in the right mind do it? NO!  It CANNOT be done consistently....and I would be more than happy if anyone would like to try and break 5 on the trot at 131.5 yards to put on a wager on the subject.

I don't think consistency has ever been mentioned... The question was can it be done past 100 yards. Yes it can, comfortably. Consistently past 100-110 then no, but doable

If you follow the same logic that it can be done, then you can shoot  pheasants that are 150 yards out as they are a bigger target...but would anyone in the right mind do it? NO!  It CANNOT be done consistently....and I would be more than happy if anyone would like to try and break 5 on the trot at 131.5 yards to put on a wager on the subject.
Now you've gone and done it!

If that isn't "throwing the gauntlet down" I don't know what is!

Good luck to you all!........................I'm out!!!

Well it is probably only one or two pellets that would hit.....so you would not attempt it at game.......

But pigeon.........now you are talking....!!

:wink:

according to a certain world champion who did a pattern test at that range there were 3 pellets on an 8ft by 8ft board...... following that you could quite easily be in the "right" place 25 times in a row, however the chances of your 3 pellets being in the right place at the same time are it seems quite slim  

Yes everyone needs a lot of luck that is sure.

Maybe there is lucky grass at Owls.....because 2 did it in less than 10 minutes apart.....mind you....they both know how to handle guns....rather than talk about them......just saying folks..!!

Wonder how the guy who did 155yds did it...? Must have been awesome......because it was truly awesome yesterday.....even I jumped and punched the air..... :laugh:

It really is a great test of skill (with a little luck......but hey......that s shooting).

according to a certain world champion who did a pattern test at that range there were 3 pellets on an 8ft by 8ft board...... following that you could quite easily be in the "right" place 25 times in a row, however the chances of your 3 pellets being in the right place at the same time are it seems quite slim  
Perhaps they missed the board! Amateurs!!  :sarcastic:

I say this as a beater who was hit at about 150 yards once, and I can assure you I was hit by more than 3 pellets, and I'm nowhere near 8ft square!  :biggrin:

Perhaps they missed the board! Amateurs!!  :sarcastic:

I say this as a beater who was hit at about 150 yards once, and I can assure you I was hit by more than 3 pellets, and I'm nowhere near 8ft square!  :biggrin:
I have been lurking :)

You make a very astute comment topdog how would you know if you centred the pattern on the board? What I would say is IF there are only three pieces of shot in the 64 sq ft of board area and you are trying to hit an area measured in sq ins then any hit is complete and utter luck there is no other answer. BUT can anybody explain how the great man GD managed to make consistent hits every 5 yds out to 120 odd yds which was seen by many a spectator ? That was not luck, it could not be he shot the target on the first barrel most times!!! No it must be possible by the right person on the right day and it cannot be luck to make such consistent hit. I am going to use a term that could be important at this distance "shot string" ! :)

Perhaps they missed the board! Amateurs!! :sarcastic:

I say this as a beater who was hit at about 150 yards once, and I can assure you I was hit by more than 3 pellets, and I'm nowhere near 8ft square! :biggrin:

I have been lurking :)
You make a very astute comment topdog how would you know if you centred the pattern on the board? What I would say is IF there are only three pieces of shot in the 64 sq ft of board area and you are trying to hit an area measured in sq ins then any hit is complete and utter luck there is no other answer. BUT can anybody explain how the great man GD managed to make consistent hits every 5 yds out to 120 odd yds which was seen by many a spectator ? That was not luck, it could not be he shot the target on the first barrel most times!!! No it must be possible by the right person on the right day and it cannot be luck to make such consistent hit. I am going to use a term that could be important at this distance "shot string" ! :)
Now you've done it! just when we thought this thread might be coming to a close, you mention the "ss" words!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back