Beware the demon drink

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

A mate of mine recently had his shotgun cert revoked, with armed police at his door at 10.30 on sat night.

The reason ?. In a general discussion with his doctor about his lifestyle six months ago the doctor said he was drinking to much. ( he's a travelling salesman ) having a couple of pints with his meal while staying in a hotel all week. He then changed surgery's because it was more convenient to home, he then renewed his certificate with all the relevant info on it. Unbeknown to him that discussion with the doc went on record

And when the police did their checks it flaged up, leading the police to his door.

Now my mate is in his sixties never been in trouble with the law (ever ) and fairly new to shooting was left a bit bewildered to say the least, after a few days he found out the reason for this act and went to see his old doctor who was mortified at the consequence of his notes. Fair play the doc contacted the new doc

And they both wrote letters of character for my mate to present to the police. After six weeks he managed

To get his cert and gun back. Lots of hassle for no reason. True story

That got to be a worry! I live in France now, if they removed guns from everybody who liked a drink there would be none in circulation! :)

Here is  another story all though I did not know the person I have to say the story is true. You must know at the current time there is or was a fashion for people to get signed off work with stress. Well this guy fancies a bit of quality time off so he visits his doctor complaining of work related stress. So the doc signs him of and he starts a nice holiday or so he thought after about a month of continually time off the old bill turn up and take his guns away! I think someone at his work place informed the police of the stress situation and they went to his doc for confirmation of the facts. Morale of the story don't be a cheating B, absolutely true story though.

If I were him, I would appeal the decision AND get my lawyer to start proceedings against the GP as well as reporting him to the BMA, the context of that conversation should have been private and not shared with anyone, in its simplest it has no basis of medical evidence to warrant the action the police took. Disgraceful display by the GP and the Police

If I were him, I would appeal the decision AND get my lawyer to start proceedings against the GP as well as reporting him to the BMA, the context of that conversation should have been private and not shared with anyone, in its simplest it has no basis of medical evidence to warrant the action the police took. Disgraceful display by the GP and the Police
Not so if the doc has put any of that on his medical records the old bill can ask to see them and if they see that the game is a bogy !

:king:  Don't believe half of what read and bugger all of what you hear! :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:

:king:  Don't believe half of what read and bugger all of what you hear! :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   :fie:

Why so Guru ?

The guy I was relating to was in fact signed off with depression it turned out he thought he was having a stress related holiday backed up with a prescription for anti depressants ends up without any guns, don't actually think he ever got them back because he ended up taking early retirement because of his "illness".

Reports along these lines are of some concern considering that medical check-ups are being suggested as becoming a routine part of firearms licensing enquiries and some authorities have already started doing so.

This before any standardised form of query has been decided upon.

The simple question, " Is Bloggs a fit person to hold a firearms licence." is not good enough.

Vic. 

Back