Back pain from the cold

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 The key to reducing low back pain is movement and strong muscles...
My Mrs whos back was sore after a patient decided to give up helping being moved was told this by the Ward physio.

In the past rest and not stretching was the deemed the best way of dealing with the pain. Instead she was told to keep moving. Seemed to work more quickly. 

I guess that is ok for muscle related strains but I guess if there's a degenerative  bone /disc issue the advice might be different. 

My Mrs whos back was sore after a patient decided to give up helping being moved was told this by the Ward physio.

In the past rest and not stretching was the deemed the best way of dealing with the pain. Instead she was told to keep moving. Seemed to work more quickly. 

I guess that is ok for muscle related strains but I guess if there's a degenerative  bone /disc issue the advice might be different. 
Nope, the advice is still to keep moving. The only time you might want to rest the area is if there is an unstable fracture which could lead to spinal cord damage but that is usually sorted with surgery. Degenerative problems (such as osteoarthritis, and very common it is too), the main advice is to keep moving. A stiff back will become more painful the stiffer it gets generally. Moving the back is very important in keeping the area mobile thus reducing (not necessarily getting rid of) the pain. 

Stiffness = pain = decreased movement = increased stiffness = increased pain = further decreased movement and so on.... 

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, when I first had sciatica in 1985 at the tender age of 21 the advice was do not move for two weeks. Since about 2000 my physio advises "pottering about" but no lifting or twisting it seems to help. Trouble is even pottering is difficult if the pain is that bad you cant get up. I have found hot baths and a hot water bottle under the back just above the buttock is very effective. I have also found that I have not had as many "episodes" since having a dog so presumably regular walking etc has helped having said that getting pooch coincided with effectively semi retiring so who knows.

re the back support. Just to clarify. I only wear it when shooting or working when I am suffering and my physio has not advised its use but hasn't told me not too

yes, when I first had sciatica in 1975 at the tender age of 21 the advice was do not move for two weeks. Since about 2000 my physio advises "pottering about" but no lifting or twisting it seems to help. Trouble is even pottering is difficult if the pain is that bad you cant get up. I have found hot baths and a hot water bottle under the back just above the buttock is very effective. I have also found that I have not had as many "episodes" since having a dog so presumably regular walking etc has helped having said that getting pooch coincided with effectively semi retiring so who knows.

re the back support. Just to clarify. I only wear it when shooting or working when I am suffering and my physio has not advised its use but hasn't told me not too

wow that makes you 63 you are doing well for that age !

Back