Are some guns quicker than others?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebo

My DT10 is in at the gunsmiths having some work done on it, so the last few weeks I've got the Silver Pigeon out of the back of the cabinet for the first time in about 8 months.  Stock is the same length as my DT10 and the sight picture seems to be the same for me, so I've not had any real issues with swopping back for a while. In fact, I've actually found on some of the slower targets I'm really enjoying using in, seems easier to control when not much gun movement is needed. However, I have noticed that on some of the quicker targets where I'd normally rely on increasing my gun speed I've not done so well.  It seems harder work to get the Silver Pigeon moving quickly and the swing doesn't seem as smooth and consistent.

Is it just me or would the relatively small difference in weight have that much effect?

In some cases a small difference in overall weight can have a drastic effect! It also depends on exactly where that weight is too. It's a vast subject and there are more variables than you can shake a stick at.

In some cases a small difference in overall weight can have a drastic effect! It also depends on exactly where that weight is too. It's a vast subject and there are more variables than you can shake a stick at.
Would that be a fast or slow stick? ?

...and the weight distribution along that stick. A greater concentration of weight between the hands gives a faster pointing gun; conversely weight spread out to the muzzles and the end of the stock give a more stable weapon.

Overall weight and weight distribution can make a difference, and so can a difference in lock time - the time between pulling the trigger and the detonation. Changing from one gun to another can often cause them to feel and behave very differently, even though the actual differences may be miniscule.

My DT10 is in at the gunsmiths having some work done on it, so the last few weeks I've got the Silver Pigeon out of the back of the cabinet for the first time in about 8 months.  Stock is the same length as my DT10 and the sight picture seems to be the same for me, so I've not had any real issues with swopping back for a while. In fact, I've actually found on some of the slower targets I'm really enjoying using in, seems easier to control when not much gun movement is needed. However, I have noticed that on some of the quicker targets where I'd normally rely on increasing my gun speed I've not done so well.  It seems harder work to get the Silver Pigeon moving quickly and the swing doesn't seem as smooth and consistent.

Is it just me or would the relatively small difference in weight have that much effect?
Do you know what each set of barrel weights ? In my experience, fit/balance/dynamics being roughly equal, the biggest contributing factor to how different guns shoot and behave is barrel weight. 

Latest posts

Back