Another Blinking Choke Question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebo

All this talk about chokes made me go and look at mine to make sure I had the tighter one in the top barrel.  I found that I had, but to my surprise I also found that what I thought were quarter and half 18 months ago when I got the gun are actually half and three quarters.

After not worrying about chokes for all that time I'm now starting to feel paranoid that I've been missing targets because my chokes are too tight.  Multiple choice question for you all.  Should I:

A. Sod it, leave 'em in and forget about it, your average is steadily improving with them so they can't be causing you many problems

B. Change for a quarter and a half, your scores will immediately go up by 5%

C. Panic, abandon those grotty factory chokes and go and buy some Mullers / Brileys / Rhinos (delete as appropriate) and you'll shoot like GD from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
B - 3/4 is really too tight for most targets and by and large the more experienced shooters who do use it do so for different reasons than it being necessary to actually hit the targets if that makes sense. 

By the way, you should normally have the tighter choke in the top barrel but do make sure you use the barrel selector to put the more open pattern on the simpler/closer/more face on targets.

Doh, sorry, that's what I meant.  I've got the half in the bottom and the three quarters in the top.  I'll edit my original post.

I should say A but I want to say C! Sooooooo.................B? .............Nah sod it get some mullers! Impulse buying is the best anyway!

And just to add, they have been taken out and cleaned each time I clean the gun, I just haven't bothered looking to see what they were as I was certain I'd put in a quarter and a half.

Have you got a Specsavers nearby?

Joke BTW...don't know how to do smileys on me iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
im told by much better shots than me to use quarter /half and a quality 8 cartridge ,   seems to work   , there is a massive industry selling  chokes  , I doubt they are any better than the originals that came with the gun .    missing targets is usually pilot error .

Trust me..............A.

Mine are 3/4 Full.

If you put it in the right place you get awesome kills. Much better than chipping your way round is my thought track. Teach yourself to hit them. If you miss any...then sod it...we cannot all be Cheryl Hall......just enjoy the ride :wink:

Or.....be an anal choke changer and stress the whole way around a course. 

C. Panic, abandon those grotty factory chokes and go and buy some Mullers / Brileys / Rhinos (delete as appropriate) and you'll shoot like GD from now on.

B - But...go with two "half" chokes.  Mullers work just dandy, but you could seek out another Beretta stock one, in the meantime :)

m79vk3.jpg

Clays mostly ;-)

Sporting and a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1
I meant cartridge ;) choke is only half the equation the coke effects different carts different amounts..... The pattern is the result of the cart choke equation .....

I said clays mostly, but there is also a fair proportion of thin air and the occasional tree as well!

Mainly Hull Comp X 28g, but occasionally Power Blues.  Either plastic or fibre depending on the ground restrictions.

Latest posts

Back