All Choked Up ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put my new pair of U2's on the Beretta,amazingly light,doesn't effect the balance at all,and they look great,was a bit worried they would have a picture of Bono on the side :)

I've got a Browning Ultra XT with a 32" barrel that came with 5 Briley Titanium Chokes. I have heard nothing but good reports about the Muller chokes but is it going to make a considerable difference or should I just stick with what I already have.

I've got a Browning Ultra XT with a 32" barrel that came with 5 Briley Titanium Chokes. I have heard nothing but good reports about the Muller chokes but is it going to make a considerable difference or should I just stick with what I already have.
I shoot fixed choke only, but I would say that if what you have works for you, then leave well alone!

I shoot fixed choke only, but I would say that if what you have works for you, then leave well alone!
Les I disagree...

One must mess about with as many different chokes as possible and also every conceivable comb and stock length setting. Then and only then can you start to change your natural style untill you dont know if you are coming or going. Then 5 guns, 20k and ten years or so later you will go back to a bog standard gun with bog standard settings and start shooting happy in the knowledge that you have got it out of your system....................sound familiar to anyone ??

Im proud to say 15 odd years and 2 proper guns. Krieghoff for about 10 I think... And wont change brand (although getting a new one this year) until I pack up or cant see!

I have used the same gun for 3 years and I feel very comfortable with it, however I am prepared to experiment with chokes, cartridges etc and will listen to all the advice I can get. If you don't try something different you have no way of knowing if it effects your performance as ips says I will probably end up back where I started in a few years time but by then I will know for myself what changes make a difference and what doesn't

Les I disagree...

One must mess about with as many different chokes as possible and also every conceivable comb and stock length setting. Then and only then can you start to change your natural style untill you dont know if you are coming or going. Then 5 guns, 20k and ten years or so later you will go back to a bog standard gun with bog standard settings and start shooting happy in the knowledge that you have got it out of your system....................sound familiar to anyone ??
Not me I stuck 2x 3/4's in fitted and adjustable comb, raised it 6mm and have left alone since. Now I am fitting an adjustable comb to my Silver Pigeon Sporter as it needs to be the same as my 682.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your lucky to have that strength of character to leave well alone :)

Les I disagree...

Oh dear Ian, yes we have been there, done that! :banghead:

Les

thought you would find that familiar .... me too :)

I bought my 682 about 5/6 years ago, off the peg.

Never touched it, don't spend money on it, don't twiddle chokes a lot, buy cheap cartridges, don't buy clutter and sh*te because it's all bollocks :hyper: :ike: :p

I bought my 682 about 5/6 years ago, off the peg.

Never touched it, don't spend money on it, don't twiddle chokes a lot, buy cheap cartridges, don't buy clutter and sh*te because it's all bollocks :hyper: :ike: :p

i like you, lets be friends x

Les I disagree...

Sounds very much like my love life back in the 70s & 80s..

So my Muller chokes arrived on Saturday just as I was going out the door to do a registered at Dartford. Quick service I only ordered them on Wednesday. Anyway using a combination of U1/U1 and White Gold 24g steel I started to see what difference it made. I was quite gratified to see that I was getting very good breaks, no chips, then it went downhill from there!! Conclusion the chokes, ammo and gun worked in perfect harmony the only problem was the addition of the bloke holding them!!

Anyway I will persist, it was windy!!, as I believe it has made a difference and I have confidence in the combination.

As I have said on here before I am a sucker for trying different makes of choke even though I accept that there probably isn't much to choose between any of them.I usually finish up selling them on at a loss.

Consequently I had to try Muller didn't I ?

I usually use a 1/2 choke but bought a U2 which is a tight 1/4

The first thing you notice is the extreme lack of weight.

I am very impressed with the performance in that clean breaks at 40yds are not a problem and anything showing a bit of face just disappears.

The Muller choke does not work loose like all the others and it is easily cleaned by spraying it and wiping it out.

I have bought a U3 to try,which is tight 1/2.

They are not cheap but so far I can recommend them.

Vic.

So my Muller chokes arrived on Saturday just as I was going out the door to do a registered at Dartford. Quick service I only ordered them on Wednesday. Anyway using a combination of U1/U1 and White Gold 24g steel I started to see what difference it made. I was quite gratified to see that I was getting very good breaks, no chips, then it went downhill from there!! Conclusion the chokes, ammo and gun worked in perfect harmony the only problem was the addition of the bloke holding them!!

Anyway I will persist, it was windy!!, as I believe it has made a difference and I have confidence in the combination.
Glad to hear you like them.  What might interest you, to see where the Mullers really shine (their whole point)...is to stretch the boundaries.

Get on station 4 and start stretching out the lead and notice you will get chips, where previously you might have had a miss....

Are there any pattern plate pictures for mullers,in comparison to other make chokes? Maybe some could be posted up to compare?

Back