All Choked Up ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guerini Guy

So, it is quite obvious to everybody, that I am a big fan of Caesar Guerini. Very true . . . . . hands up to that one.

However, I am also very lucky to own a rather beautiful Grade 6 Browning 525, and this is the gun I have considered using for FITASC Sporting, as it has a plain hard butt plate with no recoil pad, and therefore less likely to get snagged up from a gun down position.

Mind you it has 30" barrels and I really wanted 32" for this discipline. Possibly not necessary as I'm sure many will advise, but its been in my head and after having read through the blurb on Muller Chokes I noted that their replacement for standard Invector chokes gave a big 2" extension out of the barrels. So, I took the plunge and ordered a U2 (for bottom barrel) and a U3 (for top barrel) which I figured would give me a good all round range for FITASC Sporting.

Today was the big day and, I have to say, after some extremely prompt, pleasant and professional communications from NickyT at JustChoking.co.uk, the chokes arrived in the post. As described they were noticably extremely light in weight and did look pretty special.

Once they were in the gun they looked stunning and I couldn't wait to try them out. A local friend has a single trap in a nearby field and agreed to meet with me. By moving round the trap I was able to pick off crossers both L-R and R-L, initially at approx 25 yards and moving away bit by bit out to approx 55 yards. Now I have to say that some of the kills were pretty awesome even at the longer distances.

Only put 75 cartridges through the gun, but even so just as the ads claim, the chokes were completely clean. I felt that both chokes performed excellently and the quality of the kills, particularly at distance, has given me a lot of confidence and enthusiasm and I can't wait to get out to the FITASC at Dartford on Sunday.

Whether or not my score improves from my first FITASC attempt is yet to be seen, but I am confident there will be a lot more dust in the sky.  :sarcastic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think your last sentence sums it up.

". but I am confident there will be a lot more dust in the sky" Confidence in your equipment,which generally brings confidence to your shooting,is key.....whether it makes a difference to anything or not,you'll shoot better.

I shoot fitasc with my 32 summit. I have a gracoil reducer fitted and have never found it a problem.
Good luck at your shoot.

You wont find a better man to deal with than Nick, great service all round. They will of course make the gun longer but as they are so light it wont have any handling effect, so will be the same as shooting your 30". Much easier to clean (if thats your thing), and wont come loose either!

Hope they work out for you :)

You wont find a better man to deal with than Nick, great service all round. They will of course make the gun longer but as they are so light it wont have any handling effect, so will be the same as shooting your 30". Much easier to clean (if thats your thing), and wont come loose either!

Hope they work out for you :)
Cheers Ed, thanks for the steer. I shoot with Nick most weeks at Worsley, so should see him soon. :)

I already shoot 32" tube Zoli with extended multi-chokes, so will just have to get used to the extra length the Mullers put on her.

Cannot agree more, really happy with my Mullers and the confidence boost has my scores climbing once again, great chokes and nice people to deal with :preved:

I took a look at the Muller web site and was thinking about getting a U0 and U1 myself but this would give me effectively a 32" barrel and I am worried that adjusting to this for skeet shooting will outweigh the benefit of the better chokes, any comments/advice?

I took a look at the Muller web site and was thinking about getting a U0 and U1 myself but this would give me effectively a 32" barrel and I am worried that adjusting to this for skeet shooting will outweigh the benefit of the better chokes, any comments/advice?
Nothing wrong with a pair of U1's for Skeet.

If you have optima bored barrels, the extension is about 20mm.  That is my Silver Pigeon in the article, on the Skeet layout, with U1's.

No adjustment needed, have no fear.

Read the review/article in my Sig below.

I wouldn't worry, Skeet seems to be favouring 32" barrels at the moment and as the weight of the chokes is negligible you should be fine!

Nothing wrong with a pair of U1's for Skeet.

If you have optima bored barrels, the extension is about 20mm.  That is my Silver Pigeon in the article, on the Skeet layout, with U1's.

No adjustment needed, have no fear.

Read the review/article in my Sig below.
I have 686 White Onyx uses Mobil Choke rather than Optima is the length of extension the same? and yes I get your point about 2 x U1 makes sense

I have just bought a Muller U2 and used it for the first time today in my auto.

The first thing you notice is the lack of weight so I would say that there is no need to worry about point of balance in use.

The choke is very well made and good to look at.

As per the sales pitch it did not work loose. 

I was very impressed with the performance considering that a U2 is more open than what I am used to where I have been using a 1/2. The U2 is a tight 1/4. The weather,very windy and affecting the line of flight of the targets.

We will see what familiarisation with the choke and better weather brings,maybe on Sunday.

'Just Choking' and Nicky T were excellent to deal with even allowing for the delay in the choke coming from the US.

Vic.

theywill increase the actual length, but there will be no real world difference as they are so light, so will handle if anthing faster, not slower than your old gun.

Is there a chart anywhere which compares the different 'U's to their comparable standard chokes, e.g. which U is comparable/to be used in place of a Mod or Imp/Cyl etc?

Thanks in advance.

Bren.

Is there a chart anywhere which compares the different 'U's to their comparable standard chokes, e.g. which U is comparable/to be used in place of a Mod or Imp/Cyl etc?

Thanks in advance.

Bren.
If you read the ShootClay review I done (link in my sig) it is all in there....there is a reason why I don't tell you now, which you will see when you read it.

Back