Afternoon All.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt101

Afternoon.

Just getting into clay shooting. Wife has treated me to a new gun. I am an FAC holder too.

Just wondering which from the many many cartridges out there I should start with.

I have bought a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 3. Full set of chokes.

Thanks

Matt

Afternoon.

Just getting into clay shooting. Wife has treated me to a new gun. I am an FAC holder too.

Just wondering which from the many many cartridges out there I should start with.

I have bought a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 3. Full set of chokes.

Thanks

Matt
Lots of good cartridges out there. You need to figure if you must shoot fibre wads, or can / wish to shoot plas wads, which are cheaper and better, where allowed.
Realistically it’s all about what is available in your local shop. I would probably go with 24g to start with as a good middle ground. Don’t bother buying anything expensive thinking you will hit more (until you are shooting extreme targets).

I agree with Will, I'd buy the cheapest that's available to you, (24 or 28g) until you feel you are experienced enough to benefit from more upmarket ammo (which could take some time.)

If you are just getting into it I would recommend Eley Select in either 24 or 28gm 8’s through two 1/4 chokes if possible.
All cartridges are expensive now but Select are nice and comfortable to shoot and are at the mid to lower price end.

I'm in agreement with those above - don't worry about cartridge brands in the short term. Go for the cheapest you can get and get lots of shooting practice. Develop a sound gun-mount and technique, THEN start to consider the characteristics of specific cartridges. Have fun!

If you are at the very beginning I would suggest to take some lessons with a good trainer. Would have saved me a lot of cartridges when I look back.
Fiocchi TT Two, Eley Olympic Blues, Clever Mirage T2 all in 24g do the job for me. But the brand is not crucial.

Back