30 year old cartridges!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L

I got given some cartridges today that have been in a mates shed for 30 years!

there are kynoch primax, eley Grand Prix in cardboard, and some pointer cartridges by townsend guns of Brighton in plastic.

whats the consensus on usability?

mike

I am no expert and barely a shooter at all but old explosives strike me as the wrong thing to take a chance with. 

In a shed the chances of it having absorbed moisture are good to say te least.

I have read that shot can oxidise and clump together which could be a challenge at the choke end!

They should be OK if there is no sign of any dampness. Paper cases can 'expand' when they have been wet, just do not force them into the chamber, they can just eject the brass and leave the paper tube stuck in the chamber. I am not a collector but the Kynoch Primax may be of interest to someone that is. If  Townsend guns are still open, they may be interested in their own brand or possibly a collector in the Brighton area. Remember you can GIVE cartridges away to someone, without a Shotgun Certificate.

The Primax are more than 60 years old and collectable. Sacrilege to fire them off. Grand Prix and Townsend marginal. Would wince to see anyone waste them away. A cartridge is only 15p, so why use them up.

The greatest discovery of my life is that I lack the collector gene.  Some people - well, I'm not going to get into that.  So what I have to offer is find some twit that is serving posterity and needs those carts to do it.  

Or just use them like they were meant to be.  Don't tell anyone and no one will ever feel the disturbance in the Force.

The greatest discovery of my life is that I lack the collector gene.  Some people - well, I'm not going to get into that.  So what I have to offer is find some twit that is serving posterity and needs those carts to do it.  

Or just use them like they were meant to be.  Don't tell anyone and no one will ever feel the disturbance in the Force.
surely it would be better to see someone aghast at the sight of you using them :D

The greatest discovery of my life is that I lack the collector gene.

Could it be mr Sane that you only have one Perazzi?

Latest posts

Back