Where do I start?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my first comp, a reg fitasc about 3 months after starting to shoot. I managed a whole 40 but I was as chuffed as punch about that. Yes take a couple of coaching sessions but the best way is to jump in ( like a cold swimming pool ) 

You don't need to be CPSA member to actually enter a comp. Just pitch up, pay and shoot Birds Only, once you join the CPSA your first 300 targets are used to classify you. ( and then the fun starts of chasing your scores ever higher ( or lower in some cases ) )

If the ground doesn't find you someone to shoot with then a few guidelines........

Wait till shooters are changing in the stand before handing the ref your card.

Keep the chatter tame, there's no need for cathedral quiet but you get the drift.

Look at the targets when you are waiting to shoot, see others hold, pickup and kill points. You are entitled to 'see a pair' if you arrive at a stand and no one is shooting. ( You can actually see them when you step in but it's taking the piss ) 

Be ready to step in when it's your turn.

Pick up and/or bin your empties.

Keep the gun over the bar and facing downrange. ( don't load with the gun in the cage and lift it over the bar )

Sporting shoots are actually usually very relaxed and after a while you'll bump in to the same faces and have a natter.

Thank the ref ( its a sh*tty job and you are having all the fun )

Above all enjoy yourself, this is a hobby for all but about 1% of us! You spend all week working, this is fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend some money on a coach every other week.

Shoot Skeet a round of skeet each week as this is good practice for sporting targets (Crossers, Incomers, Quartering birds and driven).

Shoot Trap as this presents Going away birds and Quartering.

Shoot your 50 birder Club shoots as this shows the variety of targets you get out in the registered fields.

Buy Cheap 21 gram shells....They pattern great and smash clays with aplomb, and are easier on your pocket and your wallet.

Above all else, don't get too frustrated (like me) and enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for lessons, I'll have to have a think and justify the £60 plus per lesson and ask myself if I'll really get as much or more from a lesson as I would spending the same on a slab of shells and just shooting.
Problem is that slab of 250 cartridges also potentially has another £75 to £100 of clays , and it is 250 opportunities to learn bad habits . I’m now a “non completion”  shooter doing a bit of game now I’ve retired and have more time. I must agree with Mr Wonko , I’ve shot at  clays for 45 years and have heard all sorts of bollocks talked by friends and  other experienced shots . 

Remember that on a competition day  , if you miss a target , no one who is watching you shoot is allowed to give you any advice or “coaching “ whilst you are in the stand . You will be out there on your own .  

I was shooting 50% for about a solid year.  A Coach whom is now my friend took me under his wing.  After 4 weeks I was shooting 70%.  

A good coach is money well spent.  Or just keep spending your £70 on a slab and shoot 50% or thereabouts for the next 3 years whilst learning bad habits.

I know.....i've been there.  Bearing in mind that my father was a gamekeeper and I'd shot for years learning how to shoot badly.  My coach had to unlearn all of the rubbish I'd learned since I was 8 years old!!!!!

Thanks to all the new posters! As always, much appreciated.

I've gone and booked myself a lesson at a local shooting ground for February 2nd.

Thanks to all the new posters! As always, much appreciated.

I've gone and booked myself a lesson at a local shooting ground for February 2nd.
You won't regret it.  A good coach will nurture your own style.  They will teach you the basics and show you how to identify the types of targets.  Once you can categorize them, you'll see that there are about 10'ish different targets you have to learn, albeit at different speeds and distances.  Knowing how to shoot a Driven, Teal, Crossing, Quartering etc, you can take a lot of the noise away and work on they style you need for each target.  

Good Luck and Enjoy a challenging sport!

Back