What would you suggest I consider buying?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am with finners . Exactly same gun as a matched pair I get but a second similar gun is from my experience detrimental but as finners says its your call and good luck with whatever you decide.

I shot a 28" gun for years at every discipline because the only other choice was 30" .

I jumped straight in both feet and bought a 32" and loved it , the steadiness , everything about it .

I think if I was to change or buy another gun it would be the universally acceptable 30" . I am sure that Sian would love it and I think it would be the way to go in her Sporting life .

If the gun is to be used as a spare then having one that feels different in terms of balance and weight is not something that will be conducive to consistent performance.  There are of course 30" barrels that will weigh and balance close enough that the difference will be negligible but the chances of that happening with anything other than fixed chokes is questionable.  Screw-in can significantly affect the feel of what the numbers would say is OK.  That is not conjecture but simple experience.  The only advantage of 30" barrels as a spare that I can see is that it would be easier to flip when the time comes to move up to a higher end gun.

Personally I feel that trying to muscle around and "get used to"  32" barrels is too much of a waste of time and energy after having tried it several times and finally come to the point of WTF am I doing?  Fortunately fad time is heavy in effect and getting rid of the barrels was a simple task    :danced:

JMO of course

Charlie.

I have had dozens and I mean dozens of trap guns. Two have been 32" both I hated and could not shoot well with. 32" feel wrong to me even before I mount the dammed thing. I personally see no advantage of long barrells, but that's a personal choice not based on science just based on my experience.

oh and anything above 30" just looks wrong and may as well be maroon.

I personally see no advantage of long barrells, but that's a personal choice not based on science just based on my experience.
Ian - in terms of ballistic performance there is absolutely no advantage to 32" barrels.  And that whole "sighting plane" thing is simply BS for shotguns tho there may be some advantage to a 36" barrel shooting 3 1/2" magnums at geese 100yds up.  But I don't do that so I can't say.

and of course they do look funny for sure

Back