What would you suggest I consider buying?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Sian

Have you tried the A400xcl ?? If you are not opposed to semi's auto's well worth trying

Only  seven and half pound /no recoil and you can use the cheapest bumpiest cartridges you can find

I used to use England sporters through mine and it loved them?

I Sian

Have you tried the A400xcl ?? If you are not opposed to semi's auto's well worth trying

Only  seven and half pound /no recoil and you can use the cheapest bumpiest cartridges you can find

I used to use England sporters through mine and it loved them?
Thank you, I shall look into that one.  

West Kent are open Mondays.  Good for us, not so good for Sian.
Ladies I am sure we can find somewhere and I would take a Monday off as you are right I wouldn't miss my Sunday comps.   That is about 1.5 hrs away from me which isn't bad but its the M25 so could take a lot longer.  It can't be now though as I am already taking lots of days off for the up coming comp season but I am definitely up for it.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/beretta/over-under/12-gauge/682-supersport-170107143819003

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/beretta/over-under/12-gauge/682-gold-sporter-170408130215001

Both comfortably inside your budge, both will live with volume shooting which is your thang, both same make you're used to.

I really really think you mustn't write off longer barrels out of the running, the one at 29.5" won't be that hard to get to grips with but may well take you to places you hadn't thought about and being under 30" will be easier to accommodate psychologically. 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/beretta/over-under/12-gauge/682-supersport-170107143819003

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/beretta/over-under/12-gauge/682-gold-sporter-170408130215001

Both comfortably inside your budge, both will live with volume shooting which is your thang, both same make you're used to.

I really really think you mustn't write off longer barrels out of the running, the one at 29.5" won't be that hard to get to grips with but may well take you to places you hadn't thought about and being under 30" will be easier to accommodate psychologically. 
Thank you Hammie, I will consider up to 30" barrels - I have had a few shots of Jane's gun which is 30" and there isn't a lot in it.  

Now Sian, surely even you know that a couple of inches make a BIG difference.  Oh I forgot we were talking about barrels, sorry, I'm so used to the men putting a few inches on we we go fishing ......

Got to have a laugh ?

Hi Sian,

Can I throw a spanner into the works here  ?  I had been struggling a bit of late with my Browning 725  (mainly due to gunfit !) so out came the old faithful Beretta 303. It is a 12 bore with 28" barrel and a Briley extended I/C shoved in the end. My scores instantly went up by 8 birds  (or more) over my average of late. I have used it for the last few weekends, including letting a newcomer off here use it, and watched his scores creeping up too, even though he is a left hooker and the gun is a right hander. IF you are considering an auto, then I can not rate the old 303 highly enough. It is a 14 1/2" L.O.P. as standard and that can be easily shortened. It is one of the easiest auto's to clean (not that THAT affects you !). BUT, it is one of those guns that most people pick up and shoot remarkably well. I have had various other Beretta auto's and I still have a 391 Urika 20 bore (with a VERY short stock) and they have all functioned faultlessly. Oh, and I was using 24 gram Cheddite through it last week, without problems. Look for a minter (they are out there) and save a packet into the bargain !  Good Luck, whichever route you take.

Hi Sian,

Can I throw a spanner into the works here  ?  I had been struggling a bit of late with my Browning 725  (mainly due to gunfit !) so out came the old faithful Beretta 303. It is a 12 bore with 28" barrel and a Briley extended I/C shoved in the end. My scores instantly went up by 8 birds  (or more) over my average of late. I have used it for the last few weekends, including letting a newcomer off here use it, and watched his scores creeping up too, even though he is a left hooker and the gun is a right hander. IF you are considering an auto, then I can not rate the old 303 highly enough. It is a 14 1/2" L.O.P. as standard and that can be easily shortened. It is one of the easiest auto's to clean (not that THAT affects you !). BUT, it is one of those guns that most people pick up and shoot remarkably well. I have had various other Beretta auto's and I still have a 391 Urika 20 bore (with a VERY short stock) and they have all functioned faultlessly. Oh, and I was using 24 gram Cheddite through it last week, without problems. Look for a minter (they are out there) and save a packet into the bargain !  Good Luck, whichever route you take.
Thank you Westley.  The auto is for fun and will probably get only a little use so non-expensive is good.  Shall look at that gun.

The A303 is a cracking gun Sian 
And what the fook would you know about guns :rolleyes: ..................just because your grandad let you use one :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not treat yourself to a Perazzi MX8 ? If you get a good second hand one it won't break the bank or another really iconic gun would be a Browning B25 of some description. To be honest I would not  think about buying a brand new gun now there are so many really good quality guns out there that are way better than a new mass market job. I have a lovely next to new Browning XTR only shot circa 3k ... you could import it :)  

And what the fook would you know about guns :rolleyes: ..................just because your grandad has one :lol:
Probably he knows little about the gun, BUT he can read a scoresheet  !   (he can get them framed rather well too  !   :angel: )

I feel the need to counter Hamster and the long barrels.  No matter what they are they will be somehow different than the other gun.  Not a good idea for a "backup" situation going either way.  The same on the Mook AFAIC.  A true backup will require no adjustment of any kind - just pick it up and go.  Most Italian guns feel similar for me so they may for you as well.  Browning based actions feel very different to me.  Several sorts of Italian guns around that would not require a mind adjustment.  The 682 might be the hot ticket all around and could easily become your main gun.

Personally I feel no need to have different kinds of guns and I see no advantage in having guns that are "different" and make me have to think about what I'm doing.  Obviously I have limitations and the secret is that I know them.  If something works for you there is no reason to go looking for a magic wand that does not exist or to make unnecessary problems for yourself.

All JMO of course

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the need to counter Hamster and the long barrels.  No matter what they are they will be somehow different than the other gun.  Not a good idea for a "backup" situation going either way.  The same on the Mook AFAIC.  A true backup will require no adjustment of any kind - just pick it up and go.  Most Italian guns feel similar for me so they may for you as well.  Browning based actions feel very different to me.  Several sorts of Italian guns around that would not require a mind adjustment.  The 682 might be the hot ticket all around and could easily become your main gun.

Personally I feel no need to have different kinds of guns and I see no advantage in having guns that are "different" and make me have to think about what I'm doing.  Obviously I have limitations and the secret is that I know them.  If something works for you there is no reason to go looking for a magic wand that does not exist or to make unnecessary problems for yourself.

All JMO of course

Charlie
You get me Charlie, the gun would simply be a back up for my original so that  I can pick it up when the other one is not working or shot to death.  I can understand the allure of having different guns and in my dream state I would have a walk in gun room full of all sorts of guns to play with.  I also understand that people will not understand why when I can afford to or could better myself with a better quality gun perhaps that I would choose to consider sticking with what is a very basic model in the Beretta family of guns but I don't know any different and I love that gun.  I can see myself taking time over this.  

Why not treat yourself to a Perazzi MX8 ? If you get a good second hand one it won't break the bank or another really iconic gun would be a Browning B25 of some description. To be honest I would not  think about buying a brand new gun now there are so many really good quality guns out there that are way better than a new mass market job. I have a lovely next to new Browning XTR only shot circa 3k ... you could import it :)  
Unfortunately I am not a Browning girl that I know.  I have no experience with Perazzi but the aim is not to change my gun.  Although I could I suppose have a second SP1 and then start buying different guns to experiment with for fun.  I don't know, it's so hard.

what you need is a matched pair of SO10 .... Job done

don't need to go to the expense of SO10's, more than happy with these

june 2013 003.jpg

You get me Charlie, the gun would simply be a back up for my original so that  I can pick it up when the other one is not working or shot to death.  I can understand the allure of having different guns and in my dream state I would have a walk in gun room full of all sorts of guns to play with.  I also understand that people will not understand why when I can afford to or could better myself with a better quality gun perhaps that I would choose to consider sticking with what is a very basic model in the Beretta family of guns but I don't know any different and I love that gun.  I can see myself taking time over this.  

Unfortunately I am not a Browning girl that I know.  I have no experience with Perazzi but the aim is not to change my gun.  Although I could I suppose have a second SP1 and then start buying different guns to experiment with for fun.  I don't know, it's so hard.
Oh I am sure you will get something sorted out though. Just as an aside though there is a guy at the club I shoot at who bought a brand new Beretta 629 about the same time I bought my second hand  Perazzi we actually both paid about the same price although my gun is 20 years older... I can almost hear him crying every time we take our guns off the rack to start a round. He knows the gun is just not there but won't stop throwing money at it so Far a carbon fibre high rib and a very expensive made to measure stock ... each to their own and all that. I can understand the idea of a back up gun but don't really know how you would use such a system... I cannot think of anything at all that would really necessitate having another MX8 nothing goes wrong with them that would require anybody to have another one. Although I don't have anything against having a few guns I have four myself BUT I only use one. There is one under the sofa I am sitting on and the other two are upstairs and have never been out of their cases for more than two years... I hope they are still there :)  

Back