What would you suggest I consider buying?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am even considering just purchasing the same gun again as my reason for purchase is actually to be able to pick up the same gun should the original be unavailable to use
If you ask me, this is the best option.

Oh I am sure you will get something sorted out though. Just as an aside though there is a guy at the club I shoot at who bought a brand new Beretta 629 about the same time I bought my second hand  Perazzi we actually both paid about the same price although my gun is 20 years older... I can almost hear him crying every time we take our guns off the rack to start a round. He knows the gun is just not there but won't stop throwing money at it so Far a carbon fibre high rib and a very expensive made to measure stock ... each to their own and all that. I can understand the idea of a back up gun but don't really know how you would use such a system... I cannot think of anything at all that would really necessitate having another MX8 nothing goes wrong with them that would require anybody to have another one. Although I don't have anything against having a few guns I have four myself BUT I only use one. There is one under the sofa I am sitting on and the other two are upstairs and have never been out of their cases for more than two years... I hope they are still there :)  
Well I shoot every week so even if I am without my gun for service reasons I would miss it so that alone would be my reason for having a back up.  To date I have been lucky, my adjustable stock work was done in under a week so I didn't miss using it at the weekend and my service was also done very quickly by someone who is really half retired and who pushed the boat out for me because he could see "how much I loved my gun"  that is what he told me.  i suppose I'm looking for seemless use.

Well I shoot every week so even if I am without my gun for service reasons I would miss it so that alone would be my reason for having a back up.  To date I have been lucky, my adjustable stock work was done in under a week so I didn't miss using it at the weekend and my service was also done very quickly by someone who is really half retired and who pushed the boat out for me because he could see "how much I loved my gun"  that is what he told me.  i suppose I'm looking for seemless use.
Well it is quite obvious that the gun use week in week out is the one you want so stick with it !

very nice indeed. I have a 687eell diamond pigeon which was the sleeper of a pair, wish I had the other one. :lol: What for you cannot shoot the one you have

I shall add my tuppence worth on barrel length.  I like my 28" barrel guns, but in all honesty didn't really notice much difference in swopping up to a 30".  I even had a try with the 32" Parcours and was almost tempted to go for that.  It just felt a little more difficult when I was tired,so went for the slightly shorter one.

In deciding what my 'forever' gun would be I also tried out a couple of 34" barrel guns (HPX DSR and a Perugini and Visini).  One of them wasn't balanced to suit me (a little nose heavy), but the other was lovely to shoot with and I was smashing some long loopers with it when I tried it.  Just a little too expensive for me.

Go for whatever suits you and you are happy with, in the end I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I feel no difference between 26-28-30 but I don't like 32 they just feel wrong even before I mount.

I feel no difference between 18-20-30 but I don't like 62 they just feel wrong even before I mount.
You talking about year olds here IPS ?

Last edited by a moderator:
An Older Mk38 trap Grade 1 adjustable.  Shoots straight, is reliable, is very well build unlike a lot of the new stuff lately, easy to shoot, patterns well and handles recoil well.  Oh and did I say it was well built and reliable....... :wink:

Bit of a dilemma Sian. Reading through this thread, it's clear that we all have different views on the idea of owning different guns. I'm thinking it's a bit like owning more than one watch, a bit pointless really but many people do (own more than one watch) 

Continuing with the watch analogy, I'd see absolutely no point in owning two identical watches, but I'm quite happy to own a handful of watches of different styles/brands/colours etc. But with guns, I have less motivation to own a range of different guns these days.

My current view is based on the fact that I did used to have a "Sporter" for the clays and a "Game" gun for pigeons etc. But to be honest, I always struggled to match even my modest scores when using the Game gun on the clays and always felt I'd have hit more pigeons with the Sporter.

So in summary, I'd personally not bother getting an identical gun and don't think there's any great motivation (for me) to own something entirely different.

Having said that, I am attracted to owning a bit of a classic, and that 682 Gold that Hammy posted up, really appeals to me as just being something nice to own.  

Bit of a dilemma Sian. Reading through this thread, it's clear that we all have different views on the idea of owning different guns. I'm thinking it's a bit like owning more than one watch, a bit pointless really but many people do (own more than one watch) 

Continuing with the watch analogy, I'd see absolutely no point in owning two identical watches, but I'm quite happy to own a handful of watches of different styles/brands/colours etc. But with guns, I have less motivation to own a range of different guns these days.

My current view is based on the fact that I did used to have a "Sporter" for the clays and a "Game" gun for pigeons etc. But to be honest, I always struggled to match even my modest scores when using the Game gun on the clays and always felt I'd have hit more pigeons with the Sporter.

So in summary, I'd personally not bother getting an identical gun and don't think there's any great motivation (for me) to own something entirely different.

Having said that, I am attracted to owning a bit of a classic, and that 682 Gold that Hammy posted up, really appeals to me as just being something nice to own.  
I agree with the argument of keeping to the same "feel" in both guns but the reason I threw that 29.5" incher into the mix is that deep down I know Sian needs a nudge to get a more clay specific gun, I think having that in her hands a few times will change her mind about shorter guns. I could be wrong but luckily it's her money we're spending. 

I agree with the argument of keeping to the same "feel" in both guns but the reason I threw that 29.5" incher into the mix is that deep down I know Sian needs a nudge to get a more clay specific gun, I think having that in her hands a few times will change her mind about shorter guns. I could be wrong but luckily it's her money we're spending. 

I agree with what you say, anything shorter than a 30 inch does not have a place in sporting, in my opinion, they are too quick and you cannot repeat the lead required. I personally carry a 30 inch for the quicker stuff and a 32 inch for most of the targets.

But thats just me ! what do I know.

I agree with what you say, anything shorter than a 30 inch does not have a place in sporting, in my opinion, they are too quick and you cannot repeat the lead required. I personally carry a 30 inch for the quicker stuff and a 32 inch for most of the targets.

But thats just me ! what do I know.
It's a good job then that you aren't in charge otherwise I'd have no place in Sporting ?.  I would be interested in your reasoning for saying you can't repeat the lead required - that is a serious question.

I respect Hammie's opinion and will look seriously at 30" barrels.  

I understand what you are saying Finners with regard to just buying the same gun but I was literally thinking of being able to pick up an exact gun if needed, a bit wasteful maybe and there are I know better quality guns out there but it really was for convenience more than anything and when not being belligerent I can actually shoot okay with it.  

kind of my point earlier. Similar gun is a dangerous road Imo, identical yes or totally different.

kind of my point earlier. Similar gun is a dangerous road Imo, identical yes or totally different.
I wanted identical gun if you recall so stock would be done exactly the same but now Hammie has introduced 30" as a good move but I reckon I could get used to that pretty quickly.  

I understand what you are saying Finners with regard to just buying the same gun but I was literally thinking of being able to pick up an exact gun if needed, a bit wasteful maybe and there are I know better quality guns out there but it really was for convenience more than anything and when not being belligerent I can actually shoot okay with it.  
Yep, understood, I was just offering my take on it. I did get that you want pretty much the same gun and the reasons why, I just don't (for me) see the point. But of course it's your deal  :ahappy:  

................ Hammie has introduced 30" as a good move but I reckon I could get used to that pretty quickly.  
So do I. 

Back