What will you do ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well golf was shown as a sport you could do on TV, max two together and keep distance from others so can't see a difference with sporting clays

Saying they are going to open before the cpsa has come back from the government with clearer guidance is shear lunacy. Just wait a couple of days and see what the official outcome is. I'm as keen as anyone to shoot but they have got to look at the bigger picture.

Here's the government advice as of the 11th May:

There will be a limited number of things you can do on Wednesday that you cannot do now:

1. spend time outdoors – for example sitting and enjoying the fresh air, picnicking, or sunbathing

2. meet one other person from a different household outdoors - following social distancing guidelines

3. exercise outdoors as often as you wish - following social distancing guidelines

4. use outdoor sports courts or facilities, such as a tennis or basketball courts or golf courses providing social distancing guidelines are maintained

As I read it, point 4 gives the green light for grounds to re-open with the necessary hygiene safeguards in place. If social media's anything to go by those that are hosting events or allowing practice this weekend are going to be very busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the government advice as of the 11th May:

There will be a limited number of things you can do on Wednesday that you cannot do now:

1. spend time outdoors – for example sitting and enjoying the fresh air, picnicking, or sunbathing

2. meet one other person from a different household outdoors - following social distancing guidelines

3. exercise outdoors as often as you wish - following social distancing guidelines

4. use outdoor sports courts or facilities, such as a tennis or basketball courts or golf courses providing social distancing guidelines are maintained

As I read it, point 4 gives the green light for grounds to re-open with the necessary hygiene safeguards in place. If social media's anything to go by those that are hosting events or allowing practice this weekend are going to be very busy.
Not sure where you copy and pasted that from, but if you look at the 50 page document that was published yesterday that sets out the formal Govt position, it says:

image.png

Note the bit I highlighted in blue.  This is why a lot of grounds are not committing to when they can re-open - they are ticketed outdoor leisure venues.

Not sure where you copy and pasted that from, but if you look at the 50 page document that was published yesterday that sets out the formal Govt position, it says:

View attachment 8213

Note the bit I highlighted in blue.  This is why a lot of grounds are not committing to when they can re-open - they are ticketed outdoor leisure venues.
My post was copied from the gov.uk website published yesterday.

I don’t really see shooting grounds as ‘ticketed outdoor leisure venues’. This is intended to describe venues like theme parks, zoo’s museums and such like that charge an entry fee.

Ultimately, it’s a question of interpretation as things have been for many people before the guidance was amended at the weekend.

I‘d fully support grounds opening this weekend if they feel they can. Their customers can then make an informed decision about whether to participate or not. 

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19/2020/05/12/cpsa-statement-on-the-opening-of-grounds-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/5411?fbclid=IwAR0zT_j_ub6jFshx70N54pOBDdT0UEsVTBIYYvINs9wWQNkImVUWkpXrvN4#.XrpiANZGRcM.facebook

And as if by magic!  CPSA having to get confirmation from Govt if it is OK to open shooting grounds or not as the guidance isn't clear enough.  The grounds saying they are opening tomorrow have jumped the gun.

My post was copied from the gov.uk website published yesterday.

I don’t really see shooting grounds as ‘ticketed outdoor leisure venues’. This is intended to describe venues like theme parks, zoo’s museums and such like that charge an entry fee.

Ultimately, it’s a question of interpretation as things have been for many people before the guidance was amended at the weekend.

I‘d fully support grounds opening this weekend if they feel they can. Their customers can then make an informed decision about whether to participate or not. 
CPSA don't seem to agree with you and suggest that if grounds open without more formal government confirmation they risk losing Section 11 and RFD licenses.  They'd be mad to go ahead with it.

I have received a text from Wyre Gun Club, they are opening Wednesday,  all start times to be pre-booked with limited spaces available!

Catton Hall Frodsham opening from 20th May  Wednesdays & Saturdays for practice . 

No doubt every ground will be packed out , new cases of infection , more deaths , " Oh dear who'd have thought that?"

Remember the story of the young bull and old bull.

Young bull "let's run down there and give a cow one ",  old bull says , " lets walk down there and give them all one ."

Patience , will pay dividends , take your time , better to be late in this World rather than early into the next world.

the thought of clay shooting in an almost automated/robotic fashion holds no appeal to me at all personally

Eriswell and sporting targets have now reversed there decision to open for the time being until there is better guidance. If it comes back they are fine to open then thats great, people can take their own choice.
Hopefully CPSA will be able to get a letter from the government confirming that clay shooting can recommence under the guidance that the CPS have proposed.  Then it's just down to us as individuals to decide the level of risk we want to take.

Sorry to hear it's that convoluted. It shouldn't be this troublesome for businesses to interpret these guidelines, especially if there are possible consequences for "disregarding" the rules that would effect a shooting facility more so than say a golf club. Hope it gets sorted soon. 

As for the level of risk, that is more inherent to behaviour by the shooters than the act of shooting in my view. Wash your hands, use wipes where necessary but other than that how is one more exposed than by taking a trip to the grocery store?   

I do not live in the UK so it does not affect me. Take care. enjoy but, sadly, expect a sharp rise in Covid 19 cases in the early autumn.

edit

This of course will not be down to shooting... just the fact that this virus is not going to suddenly disappear and there are hundreds of people out there who are still going to be infecting the population. The whole loosening of the lockdown is down  is due to the fact that there are more ICU beds available now and the burden on the economy needs easing... but it will be back again unfortunately. Until there is a vaccine or more probably an effective drug it will probably become a cyclical event .

One of our local non registered grounds has just put up a notice that they have consulted the local firearms department for confirmation, and they are opening on Thursday. 

The grounds where I usually shoot have never closed but I've not been there since before everything shut down - a sorta pre-emptive move as it were.  Actually I see no improvement in the situation as for me I fail to see that a "stable number of new cases" does not constitute in any way an improvement - the plague is STILL spreading!!  I am still wary of trips even to the market masked and gloved and wipes and distance and wondering if this is the day it finds me.

best of luck to those of you who have some other approach but .....................

The grounds where I usually shoot have never closed but I've not been there since before everything shut down - a sorta pre-emptive move as it were.  Actually I see no improvement in the situation as for me I fail to see that a "stable number of new cases" does not constitute in any way an improvement - the plague is STILL spreading!!  I am still wary of trips even to the market masked and gloved and wipes and distance and wondering if this is the day it finds me.

best of luck to those of you who have some other approach but .....................
Some would rather not " wake up and smell the coffee". In the UK the gov deaths figure is 28k or so but the actual figure is much higher there are at present 50K more people died over the period than normal so the actual figure for the number of deaths due to this virus is much much higher than the figure the gov are giving out.

Gov figure is 32k now. I think once they are open it is down to individuals to decide what level of risk they are prepared to take. In the UK some areas have much higher case numbers than others for example. You can also consider how the particular grounds are laid out and how they propose to operate - Southdown, for example are proposing to prebook only and everything caddied so you don't even have to touch the controllers. Personal situation also needs considering - a fit, healthy woman in her 30s, for example, has much lower risk of a bad outcome than a 75 year old bloke with COPD, and is more likely to chance it.

Back