Should I ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

As the title mentions, I’ve been thinking about getting a new gun / second gun. Currently I shoot a 30” perazzi mx2000s which I bought some 15 years ago, I shoot reasonably well with it and it’s never let me down at all.

I tried a CG invictus  (30”) at Barbury before the lockdown in November and was extremely impressed with its ease of handling and fit, even though it was of standard dimensions straight out of the box, there was no felt recoil and more importantly no bruised or battered cheek.

Now, what do I do ? I started out with a Winchester 101 28” diamond grade sporter (should never had sold it) and various Brownings, Berettas and a totally useless Blaser later I bought the Perazzi. I’m getting on a bit now and this will be the last gun I buy, so some input from your good selves would be appreciated. Please don’t suggest a K gun, I think their overpriced and are basically two scaffolding poles stuck on to a bit of OSB. (Tin hat on ). 

If your question is should I buy a CG. That’s really up to you based upon how it feels and performs. Personally, I’m not overly impressed by CG. They seem a decent enough gun but, for a variety of reasons, not quite up to Perazzi, Krieghoff or high grade Beretta’s

Ultimately, it’s down to personal choice. If it fits and you’ve the ability you’ll shoot big scores with whatever brand you choose. 

Whatever you do don’t lose sight of the fact that your gun is really just a tool to break targets with. Don’t get hung up on this brand oneupmanship nonsense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As you know Wynno, there’s no solid answer to this as it’s so personal. The only thing I would say is that Blaser is worth a revisit as they’ve come on miles in the last 15 years. I use mine while my MX12 sits in the cabinet. 

Switched to CG five years ago, wouldnt consider buying anything else now. My summit is a 2007 and has been ultimately reliable, no problems at all . Have always enjoyed shooting it even on the bad days. If if feels right go with it 

Buy it . Regretting buying it is easily solved you just sell it and catch a bit of a cold . Regretting not buying it harder as you can’t buy back the time you’ve lost wondering if you should buy it .  At a certain time in life money is better spent . 

Regards Mart  ,  who is also getting on a bit and following his own advice . 

As you know Wynno, there’s no solid answer to this as it’s so personal. The only thing I would say is that Blaser is worth a revisit as they’ve come on miles in the last 15 years. I use mine while my MX12 sits in the cabinet. 
Will, I know Blaser have improved over time, but my experience with them was horrible, it rusted, even though I always cleaned it. When it was returned to Alan Rhone (who was the importer then ) Blaser changed the barrels and some of the internal workings….. when I had it back I exchanged it for the perazzi

Jan

I only shoot for enjoyment now, gone are the days when I wanted to put in AA class scores. It’s more about having a good day without getting soaking wet and meeting up with all of the people I know 

I've had a selection of mid range guns and for the last 5 years a CG Challenger. Despite what you might have read or heard, almost all the standard rib CGs feel, fit and shoot much the same because all the important bits of the Invictus are carried over from the standard range.

I've tried all sorts of Berettas and Brownings as well as various Perazzis, Blasers and Krieghoffs. Out of them all the two I like best are the Browning XS Pro and the Blaser F16 but honestly, as a shooting device, I wouldn't trade my CG for any of them. But then I don't care in the least about image and anyway, at my time of life I don't care if it doesn't last for a million rounds. 

CGs have long been popular among the Welsh shooters but interestingly, a few local regulars from H/W, Glos and Wilts have moved over as well!

I've had a selection of mid range guns and for the last 5 years a CG Challenger. Despite what you might have read or heard, almost all the standard rib CGs feel, fit and shoot much the same because all the important bits of the Invictus are carried over from the standard range.

I've tried all sorts of Berettas and Brownings as well as various Perazzis, Blasers and Krieghoffs. Out of them all the two I like best are the Browning XS Pro and the Blaser F16 but honestly, as a shooting device, I wouldn't trade my CG for any of them. But then I don't care in the least about image and anyway, at my time of life I don't care if it doesn't last for a million rounds. 

CGs have long been popular among the Welsh shooters but interestingly, a few local regulars from H/W, Glos and Wilts have moved over as well!
Yes they are, after sale service is second to none, that’s what is making me think it’s a CG in some form, Kguns are too unwieldy for me

and more importantly no bruised or battered cheek.
This sounds to me as poor cheekweld / fit of the present gun, which could be adjusted in other ways than by replacing your gun entirely. Same with the felt recoil, although a P gun may be a bit lighter than a CG. But if a CG tickles you, scratch the itch if you can afford it. Life is too short to wonder about "if only I had" and similar questions. 

Can't comment on this too much as I have little experience with the Invictus, F3, etc.

My post is to make the point that if you are "getting on a bit" I would tend to steer away from a heavy gun which you might need to replace again. It might soak up the recoil but do think long terrm.

I shooting colleague of mine went through a few options (including Browning & CG) picking up heavy guns in the shop and liking them, only to find he tired after 100 cartridges or so and could not maintain any consistency thereafter.

Keep hold of your tried and tested perazzi and buy the CG. If CG turns out not so good you have a reliable fall back.

If CG turns out good, you have a reliable spare gun

This sounds to me as poor cheekweld / fit of the present gun, which could be adjusted in other ways than by replacing your gun entirely. Same with the felt recoil, although a P gun may be a bit lighter than a CG. But if a CG tickles you, scratch the itch if you can afford it. Life is too short to wonder about "if only I had" and similar questions. 
Luke, there’s nothing wrong with the fit of my perazzi, my comment was a generalisation about guns straight out of boxes, and yes I’ve tried many and some were frankly fricking terrible. The CG I tried had none of the issues 

Keep hold of your tried and tested perazzi and buy the CG. If CG turns out not so good you have a reliable fall back.

If CG turns out good, you have a reliable spare gun
At the moment that’s the way I’m leaning 👍

As the title mentions, I’ve been thinking about getting a new gun / second gun. Currently I shoot a 30” perazzi mx2000s which I bought some 15 years ago, I shoot reasonably well with it and it’s never let me down at all.

I tried a CG invictus  (30”) at Barbury before the lockdown in November and was extremely impressed with its ease of handling and fit, even though it was of standard dimensions straight out of the box, there was no felt recoil and more importantly no bruised or battered cheek.

Now, what do I do ? I started out with a Winchester 101 28” diamond grade sporter (should never had sold it) and various Brownings, Berettas and a totally useless Blaser later I bought the Perazzi. I’m getting on a bit now and this will be the last gun I buy, so some input from your good selves would be appreciated. Please don’t suggest a K gun, I think their overpriced and are basically two scaffolding poles stuck on to a bit of OSB. (Tin hat on ). 
If it’s an addition then yes, the 15 years shooting/ handling a Perazzi may be hard to let go of, the thing I’ve found / experienced when using another gun for 10/50/100 targets is that I seem to break every clay regardless of its difficulty, which obvs would cease the minute one “bought” the magic gun. Do you think there is any chance to try a CG for a while longer before you do anything. 

Rather than pop the $ for another gun I would suggest having someone who actually know what they're doing measure you properly and make a stock that truly fits you and that perfectly fine Perazzi.  Manuel Ricardo seems to be highly regarded, accessible, and IIRC there are a couple folks here that have his work (tho there may be someone closer by of course).

on facebook if you do that https://www.facebook.com/coronhaspormedida/

or check it out

https://manuelricardo.pt/one-click-gunstock/?fbclid=IwAR0kTukcwAhZGSFqveT9jNqZN97RvUshPtypiTc7pUo6AzicsdwXlNpL2Xo

just a thot

Rather than pop the $ for another gun I would suggest having someone who actually know what they're doing measure you properly and make a stock that truly fits you and that perfectly fine Perazzi.  Manuel Ricardo seems to be highly regarded, accessible, and IIRC there are a couple folks here that have his work (tho there may be someone closer by of course).

on facebook if you do that https://www.facebook.com/coronhaspormedida/

or check it out

https://manuelricardo.pt/one-click-gunstock/?fbclid=IwAR0kTukcwAhZGSFqveT9jNqZN97RvUshPtypiTc7pUo6AzicsdwXlNpL2Xo

just a thot
There’s nowt wrong with the gunfit, and I’m not getting rid of the perazzi 

Luke, there’s nothing wrong with the fit of my perazzi, my comment was a generalisation about guns straight out of boxes, and yes I’ve tried many and some were frankly fricking terrible. The CG I tried had none of the issues 
Ah, I misinterpreted your post to mean that your own gun was causing the bruises... My bad. I am a proponent of making guns fit the shooter, rather than the other way round.

Personally I'd consider a Perazzi a "finer gun" than a CG, but then I've only shot the few that friends own. Anyhow, I still recommend giving in to temptation. Having a 'spare Perazzi' is a great problem to have, all things considered. Go for it. 

Yes they are, after sale service is second to none, that’s what is making me think it’s a CG in some form, Kguns are too unwieldy for me
Old gunsmith friend always said, “Beware of gun makers that offer after sales service, they do this because they know that you will have to use it when their guns fall apart” To a degree he’s correct. My two penny worth would be if you think you need a second gun then get a second hand version of your number one gun.

Jonz

Are you trying to achieve something by having a different gun? If not stick with what you have, you wont find much better

Back