What to take to a major shoot?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeet UK

So, I am intending on entering some of the larger sporting shoots, this year.

Other than Skeet, I have never shot in a squad....how does that work?

What should I take with me, apart from what I would normally take? Camping chair?

Anything else that you guys do?

Cheers!

Nothing odd, but with sporting (unsquadded or squadded) just take what you want to survive for a few hours. Drink, snack, maybe small chair but it's unusual.

Waterproofs, lightweight chair, water, energy bars or fruit, spare glasses and ear defenders, sense of humour

Was thinking something like this

41mAv9cc07L._SY300_.jpg

I assume there might be some waiting around and such and there are seldom enough chairs around the food!

Do many people use Hamiltons?

The absolute basics!

A squad is, in my limited experience, a group of 6 shooters accompanied by a referee/scorer who start the shoot at a nominated time and he/she takes you around the stands and records your scores as distinct from unsquadded where you go around the stands with as many or as few mates as you like in whatever order you like to minimise the queuing.  In unsquadded each stand has a referee/scorer sat at each stand to whom you give your score card for marking.

I always keep an eye out for trap shooters hiding in bushes when I need a pee.

Their easily spotted they wear white trainers maroon camo and some shoot blue auto,s.

Their a rare breed in Dorset now so may venture out further.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on the shoot.... for instance the essex masters 

range bag 

selection of chokes 

ear plugs and a packet of spares!

at least 1/2 ltr of water 

mints/chewing gum

multi tool 

125 cartridges 

dependant on weather

sun cream/light rain jacket 

no need for the chair IMO

on that note PM me some details please Being chased!!!!!
Be carefull they don't chase much they lay in wait and literally catch you with your pants down then pounce leaving very little room for manoeuvre. Initially your confused buy the maroon camo, this is a tactic of Northern trap shooters but they are in constant communication with Southern trap shooters so watch out for them.

However the White trainers are easily spotted.

Well best of luck.

Be carefull they don't chase much they lay in wait and literally catch you with your pants down then pounce leaving very little room for manoeuvre. Initially your confused buy the maroon camo, this is a tactic of Northern trap shooters but they are in constant communication with Southern trap shooters so watch out for them.

However the White trainers are easily spotted.

Well best of luck.
WTF are you on you weirdo!!?!

If traveling a long distance take the forend of your gun with you. Unless you have a very good sense of humor.
And if you take the trigger mech out when you store your gun (to release the springs) make sure you remember to take it with you!

DT

Cool.

Thanks guys n girlz.

I suspected it would be obvious things, but you never know.

No chair then eh?  Shame :)

People are more likely to have a shooting stick to perch on than a chair - if you haven't seen one its a triangular piece of canvas or leather on a stick that you can poke in the ground. How comfortable they are may depend on the size of your bum but you are more likely to see people using them than a chair - probably because they are smaller to carry. Most major shoots can run smoothly without much hanging about or a need to sit down but sometimes. (Usually the English open) you can wait for a long time to shoot. Sitting down may help you relax in those situations

I take a small, tripod seat everywhere!  They're usually only used by Fitasc sporters, and it's curious that sporters don't tend to use seats.  But if you're old, fat and have knackered knees, like me, it's a god-send to be able to sit for a few minutes!

Take a seat, Skeet, and screw convention! 

A small bit of folded paper with a victory speech takes no space whatsoever but can just give you a reminder not to forget who to thank. OMG OMG OMG just can't believe I'm here, it feels like a dream, the targets were the best I've seen, everything has just been fantastic, I really need to say thank you to all those people who believed in me............................Hatstan, M&S for their superb thermals, Aldi without whose cartridge carrier I would have been lost, people said you'll never win with Budget Turbo 8's, how wrong they were, the breaks were amazing..........thank you...................

Latest posts

Back