A question on handicap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hey folks, can anyone please explain how a club shooter's handicap is calculated?

I ask because my local ground just published the latest scores from their club shoot. The winner seemed to have taken it with 95 out of 100. However, looking at the score he actually shot 56, the rest was down to his handicap. Now there were better shots who lost as their handicap was lower.

I'm a competitive person, I'm looking to shoot competitions. I'd be sick if I won on a score lower than someone else and even worse if I'd been beaten by someone who hit less targets than me! 

Can anyone explain?

Hey folks, can anyone please explain how a club shooter's handicap is calculated?

I ask because my local ground just published the latest scores from their club shoot. The winner seemed to have taken it with 95 out of 100. However, looking at the score he actually shot 56, the rest was down to his handicap. Now there were better shots who lost as their handicap was lower.

I'm a competitive person, I'm looking to shoot competitions. I'd be sick if I won on a score lower than someone else and even worse if I'd been beaten by someone who hit less targets than me! 

Can anyone explain?
Well, some clubs handicap is just a lark, shouldn’t be taken seriously and isn’t how CPSA registered shoots work (there is no handicap, just classes based upon previous years scores). 

Only they will know how they do it. Ask them.  Based on a few secret stands performance?

If you’re half serious and competitive, as soon as a small club has given you some practice, look at registered shoots. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Can anyone explain?
Best would be to ask you club how the hadicap is worked out, and look up why handicaps are done in particular with small clubs.

In smallbore shooting we use the Macrae hadicap which allows everyone within the club a chance to take part in what we call the macrae club champs'

It's to encourage competitive shooting within the club without the lower score members thinking whats the point in entering I can win against x-y shooters

Not all shooters want to enter registered competitions or have the funds to do so, don't forget some people just like to shoot without trying to prove a point.

If your one of the competitive ones as Will says CPSA is the way

I have to say, if one is competitive, then develop your ability and compete. Even if you are nowhere near the winnings, a proper score will indicate where you are now and what level of improvement is needed. With CPSA shoots it shouldn’t take long to get to the top of C class (if you’re not impaired in any way). For anybody wanting to “win” a shoot by hitting 56 and getting a “score” of 95, they should have a word with themselves if they think that’s a sport and just buy lottery tickets instead. 

It's all about encouraging people to shoot Will or the sport will fade away.Not everyone is that way inclined or has the means to afford registered shoots all over the place.

I've lost to people who's handicap has put them on top, they don't think their the better shot, just encourages them to try, it's in the name of the compeitition Handicap as the OP who entered must have known

In answer to your question, this is the way at least one club works it out, rightly or wrongly it seems to work for a lot of happy club members, most of whom are probably barely aware that the CPSA even exists 🙂

Robbed from Camberley clay club's website:

Club Rules (camberleyclayclub.com)

Handicap System:
An equitable spread of club awards is achieved through a handicap system and this will apply to the majority of Club competitions as denoted on the Fixture List.
Handicaps will be calculated and published every six months and shall be based on the scores achieved in qualifying rounds (see below) during that period.
Qualifying rounds will include all shoots excluding the following:- Side by Side, Small Bore, DTL and Flurry competitions.
To calculate the handicap, the average score achieved during a six month period will be deducted from 50.
Handicaps will be adjusted pro rata for competitions in excess of 50-birds. For example, for a 60-bird shoot handicaps are divided by 50 and then multiplied by 60.

It's all about encouraging people to shoot Will or the sport will fade away.Not everyone is that way inclined or has the means to afford registered shoots all over the place.

I've lost to people who's handicap has put them on top, they don't think their the better shot, just encourages them to try, it's in the name of the compeitition Handicap as the OP who entered must have known
What the hell has poor Will done to deserve that?? 😁

What the hell has poor Will done to deserve that?? 😁
It was said in context to clubs not a dig at Will, it's about clubs trying to get people to shoot and enjoy it in a competitive way, but one where they stand a chance against others who are better from shooting longer, paying to be coached etc, as pointed out it's a club handicap shoot, not someone winning a national event this way

Again not everyone can afford the CPSA route to shooting, without clubs getting people into shooting and then onto competitive shooting within say the CPSA the sport will fade away that's my point.

The OP Scotty did say “I’m a competitive person”, so I aligned my comments with that in mind. I totally agree that shooting can and should be whatever you want (or can afford) it to be to suit you. Many just like a walk, a bit of fresh air, make a loud noise, break the odd clay, have a chat and end with a tea or pub trip. Nothing wrong with that. 

Now I get it 😂 the 'or' high lighted threw me

Edit: mind you I should have perhaps put 'take part'

Punctuation is important. It means the difference between helping uncle Jack, off a horse and helping uncle jack off a horse.

Can I add that having only recently started shooting CPSA comps, I have been (really) surprised with just much fun they can be and (maybe I am lucky) how welcoming people can be (Kibworth & Honesburie in particular). I have shot a few where there some of the squad members are quite serious (and quite) but the majority of the time I have really enjoyed it - had a good chat, tea afters etc. To describe myself as competitive (with others) would be wrong - I have started shooting comps because I thought I would give it a try and I have found it a good way of shooting for a couple of hours when your friends (and daughter in my case) are otherwise busy. It also a good way of shooting new grounds - its all organised for you.

I can understand why some may prefer to shoot within a small club - I have done that. I can also understand why a handicap system would allow a good day to be rewarding. For me the CPSA grading system goes along way to do that and I happy in myself using it to measure where I am - who cares about the others !!.

As for shotting "Wills" I understand they are part Rabbit, part Teal, with just a little bit of "going away" thrown in. Whatever you do don't try the "Swing Through" technique.

Back