Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one 

Honesberie for us today.  Shot in the final in the blinking rain but managed after a shoot off with Amy to take second place.  I quite enjoyed the Sporting although I shot it poorly.  I liked both stand 6 and 9 but didn’t like the sim orange/pink going away missing 4 pink  - hard on my eyes those two together.  And with the orange one up the earth mound.   The floaty one on the stand by the little brook missed 3!  Think I used up all my concentration on the final.
As said earlier, bloody well done in the shoot off, Sian!

The Royal Berkshire Shooting School Royal Flush is back. I went today. It is five 20 bird layouts, with the scorer loading for you on each one.

The first is shot from a seat! I have never shot sat down before, so a bit of fun. Dropped three there.

Second one is the Grouse sequence that many will be familiar with. Happy with 19. 

Third one was shot with the sun right in your face at midday today. A real bummer as I am particularly bad when this happens, so I missed five which should have been one or two.. It made all the hold points unnatural, aside from the sheer glare. 

Fourth layout was a toughie that also had a massive sun problem today, so dropped another 6 which could have been 2 or 3.

Last layout was the big tower, where they have previously held the tower challenge shoot, but guess what, they have pushed the targets further out! One on the far right is a bit daft and looked like a black aspirin. Again, not actual sun in your face but a glaring sky. It may be a bit easier on a grey day. 10 out of 20 on here.. some other very decent shots were in single figures. 

So, 75. Potentially a really good event. I’ll go back I suppose, but I won’t waste my time or money on a sunny day.. Why RBSS? You have other positions to shoot from..

Last edited by a moderator:
Podimore at the weekend a great set of targets,plenty of variation and quite a stiff course but still missed a few easy ones and felt like i left 10 out there.

That would have put me way out in front of class and beaten most AA,just lack consistency..all in a very enjoyable shoot.

Owls Lodge this morning. Lovely sunny start, which became cloudy then a good downpour just as we had finished. Great timing.

A good course, tricky enough all round with no extreme stands or real easy ones either. As usual I cocked up a simple little sim teal stand, dropping 4 out of 10. Ruined a reasonable card and finished on 89. Some star names going out this afternoon, so I suspect a 94 HG. 

Owls Lodge this morning. Lovely sunny start, which became cloudy then a good downpour just as we had finished. Great timing.

A good course, tricky enough all round with no extreme stands or real easy ones either. As usual I cocked up a simple little sim teal stand, dropping 4 out of 10. Ruined a reasonable card and finished on 89. Some star names going out this afternoon, so I suspect a 94 HG. 
You AA boys are too harsh on yourselves, most and I do mean most of us wont put in a 89 ESP score, 89 is not a ruined card, its much more than reasonable, its quite a 👍 score really

You AA boys are too harsh on yourselves, most and I do mean most of us wont put in a 89 ESP score, 89 is not a ruined card, its much more than reasonable, its quite a 👍 score really
think it's where sporting as found it's self ......big scores are the norm so if Will thought he missed 4 easier ones he wont be happy with 89 ?? what you can assume is if one shooter hits ,say 96 and he or she (pc) is 4 or 5 clear it was a shoot with a few testing stds ,and he or she has shot well, yet if it's won on 96+ and the trailing shooters are 4x95 5x94 etc it was more of a test of concentration ? and a enjoyable day out for the classes ? which in it's self brings in the punters ? 

Yes sure, it’s just annoying missing 4 on a stand where most people were doing better than that..

I shot 11 stands fairly well, only two other misses that made me feel daft, so it’s disappointing to drop 4 where most B class will be 1 or 2 away. It’s all relative. 89 isn’t a bad score for me, but my poor performance on that stand will have tossed me out of the money territory.

think it's where sporting as found it's self ......big scores are the norm so if Will thought he missed 4 easier ones he wont be happy with 89 ?? what you can assume is if one shooter hits ,say 96 and he or she (pc) is 4 or 5 clear it was a shoot with a few testing stds ,and he or she has shot well, yet if it's won on 96+ and the trailing shooters are 4x95 5x94 etc it was more of a test of concentration ? and a enjoyable day out for the classes ? which in it's self brings in the punters ? 
I see and can agree most of that, I do though see at a lot of our local reg shoots that the entry often has a fair few AA AAA & some of which are International shooters, these boys, and of course you yourself Clynt have shot for England you / they have honed thier skillset over many years and achieve / expect to shoot regular 90+ scores. One also sees many that hope to fast track to regular 90+ and dont appreciate / value a 80+ score as much as they should. 

Long Siberia at Bisley tomorrow, summary to follow! Fingers crossed on the weather front. 

Yes sure, it’s just annoying missing 4 on a stand where most people were doing better than that..

I shot 11 stands fairly well, only two other misses that made me feel daft, so it’s disappointing to drop 4 where most B class will be 1 or 2 away. It’s all relative. 89 isn’t a bad score for me, but my poor performance on that stand will have tossed me out of the money territory.
Thought you always went birds only ??

Nothing Registered on locally, so went up to Dartford for a practice round with the OH and Woody off here.  Nothing too extreme in terms of targets (or that's how it felt to me anyway).  Finished on an 88, could have been a 91 if I hadn't dropped three on the last stand.  Was the easier of the two birds as well.  Never mind, onwards and upwards.

Second time shooting my new gun and only my 5th shoot (I think) of 2018.

Really looking forward to getting back into it properly and going to registered shoots and places that put on trickier and more testing targets. 

Loads of rustyness after a year away but already in the last two weeks I've chipped away at some bad habits. 

Not too displeased with a 64 

Second time shooting my new gun and only my 5th shoot (I think) of 2018.

Really looking forward to getting back into it properly and going to registered shoots and places that put on trickier and more testing targets. 

Loads of rustyness after a year away but already in the last two weeks I've chipped away at some bad habits. 

Not too displeased with a 64 
First time I've ever seen anyone trying to cuddle their gun at the same time they are shooting with it 😉

First time out of the training stand and shooting on the ground properly.  Boy what a difference.......  my paltry 23/50 may to some look poor, but I felt over the moon with it, just under 50% and I am very happy indeed.  Some head scratchers, but on the whole I really enjoyed the morning out at Chalky Hill.   I still have some much to learn and shooting on my own probably did not help either.  No matter, I will be back and enjoying a new sport.

First time out of the training stand and shooting on the ground properly.  Boy what a difference.......  my paltry 23/50 may to some look poor, but I felt over the moon with it, just under 50% and I am very happy indeed.  Some head scratchers, but on the whole I really enjoyed the morning out at Chalky Hill.   I still have some much to learn and shooting on my own probably did not help either.  No matter, I will be back and enjoying a new sport.
The trial and error of practicing at your stage is a great journey. More reward than failure as you go forward, enjoy it. 

My happiest days Shooting were when I reached then50%.  After that I just got greedy.

Had my first attempt at Compak today at Westfield. Smiles all round and some entertaining targets. Yes, some easier birds combined with the ability to double barrel the singles. Enjoyable discipline though and I’m pretty sure the ground will be hosting more in the future. 

Ended on 89/100. No idea what class I’ll be in as was going in to it unclassified. 

Back