Skeet cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I always use 24 gram 9's as I used to shoot a lot of olympic skeet, and genuinely believe that with the lower recoil (even on a fast 24 compared to a similar 28) helps with second target acquisition. Probably just psychosomatic, but if it makes you feel that you are shooting better, IMHO you normally shoot better. :)  
Maybe not - interesting read in the link below based around gun weight plus cartridge velocity / load size for individuals and the toll it can take over 100 targets.

Page 36 - http://www.claytargetnation-digital.com/Mar2016#&pageSet=2 

I have varied in the last 2 years on my approach

2014 - shot 24gram 20 gauge cartridges through tubes in my 10-11lb gun for an average of 95.10% in 3200 targets.

2015 - shot 28gram 12 gauge for an average of 95.32% over 1900 targets

- shot 24 gram 20 gauge through tubes for an average of 96.32% over 1250 targets 

- giving a combined average of 95.82% (3150 combined targets) - same gun as 2014 and used a barrel weight when shooting 12g to make the gun handle / feel alike. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If u want lots of pellets and consistent patterns,you won't go far wrong with steel shot 24g will be plenty some of the 28gram loads can be a bit thumpy. Cylinder cylinder is all you need as steel patterns tighter as there is no deformity in the shot. You will still get dust if your on the target. I've shot over 70 registered tons with steel shot. And highly recommend it for skeet.

Back