Failed Proof: Came off when firing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is lots of information on this problem on the Internet and apparently DeVault Industries is no longer with us. As someone who owned a gun shop in the Scottish Borders for many years, the absolute "rules" on reproofing are a gray area. "Repairs" are sometimes carried out by untrained gunsmiths etc. so I speculate there must be thousands of older shotguns both in the UK and here in the US that have "doubtful" proof pedigrees. Of course, there is no way of conclusively knowing. In this case, unfortunately, you tried the adhesive option and it didn't work. I think the logical answer now would be to scrap the gun and sell it for parts as per the gunsmiths original suggestion.

Last edited:
There is lots of information on this problem on the Internet and apparently DeVault Industries is no longer with us. As someone who owned a gun shop in the Scottish Borders for many years, the absolute "rules" on reproofing are a gray area. "Repairs" are sometimes carried out by untrained gunsmiths etc. so I speculate there must be thousands of older shotguns both in the UK and here in the US that have "doubtful" proof pedigrees. Of course, there is no way of conclusively knowing. In this case, unfortunately, you tried the adhesive option and it didn't work. I think the logical answer now would be to scrap the gun and sell it for parts as per the gunsmiths original suggestion.
As you say, there are parts that still have some value. It is looking like that's going to be the answer. At least my gunsmith is a time-served chap. I haven't been over to see him yet, but will get pics to post on here when I do, as I'm intrigued.

Hi Phil
Don't know if you got my message but I have some spare Barrels if of any use to you.
Bob

Hi Phil
Don't know if you got my message but I have some spare Barrels if of any use to you.
Bob
Thanks Bob. It's one of my possibilities, if I can't get an answer and fix the existing ones. At the moment, can't even find out how it failed proof!

Latest posts

Back