Overcoming the Competition Yipps

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NedFlanders

Hi

Can anyone help me with advice on this.

I have been shooting skeet for around 3 years and thoroughly enjoy it. I shoot practice/training twice a week then either a  registered or championship events at the weekend. My PB in ESK is 97 and last year I was able to keep up with scores over 90 on a regular basis.

This year has been a disaster, I had a lesson with Todd Bender at the begining of the year and he changed some of the fundamentals of the way I shoot particularly with regard to foot position. I always accepted that I would have to practice and get used to this and so it proved to be true with my average dropping significantly.

Now I have got used to the new stance my practice scores have gone back up and I can hit over 90 again on a regular basis but I can't do it in competition or registered events. I know I can hit every bird and pair on the layout and often get 25 straight (and I have had 50 straight) in practice but as soon as I step up for a competion or registered event something goes wrong. I have a routine for every stand which I apply in practice and in competion but in competition I feel myself tense up and no matter what I try to do to relax and shoot with fluidity I cant seem to conquer it.

Any advice accepted gratefully.

Somebody will have a good answer, but here is a possible thing to try. Go and play with some sporting practice (maybe even some competitions). The idea is that you will then be doing something that requires you to think about the actual task, rather than merely have mind-management to fill your head. The sporting will both be a fresh break and get your head back on shooting clays, rather than worrying about skeet scores.

Just an idea. Might be fun too..

Hmmm interesting Clever, I actually started on sporting but got frustrated with the low scores I was getting so moved to skeet which I felt I could do better at. I might just give this a go though as it might help perform a mental "reset" thanks for the idea.

Hmmm interesting Clever, I actually started on sporting but got frustrated with the low scores I was getting so moved to skeet which I felt I could do better at. I might just give this a go though as it might help perform a mental "reset" thanks for the idea.
As a skeet shooter, you can leave yourself with no high expectations in ESP, so just see if some fun helps you relax. And as you say, skeet may seem easier, when you return. Just an idea but can't think it can do any harm. Cheers

Trying not to be controversial here ( Which I know some of you will say 'that makes a change').

But I know a good few skeet shooters who have had a lesson with Todd Bender and he has ruined their shooting.

Maybe go back to your old style? Adopt a compromise? But for sure do something different.

Buy British  'Bender Bends them' Kitson , Beardsmore, Marsden mends them. British and Proud 

Trying not to be controversial here ( Which I know some of you will say 'that makes a change').

But I know a good few skeet shooters who have had a lesson with Todd Bender and he has ruined their shooting.

Maybe go back to your old style? Adopt a compromise? But for sure do something different.

Buy British  'Bender Bends them' Kitson , Beardsmore, Marsden mends them. British and Proud 
Yes I have heard this as well, but to be honest I felt that it was worth it and I feel a lot more comfitable with my new stance, I haven't put into practice everything he said but with out a doubt it has much improved my station 4 pairs performance. Its lamost like I have had the confidence switch turned off I my head when I shoot registered or competition. 

Its almost like I have had the confidence switch turned off I my head when I shoot registered or competition. 
Ned,  I have heard this discussed before and described as a fear of failing. Consequently when it really matters, like in a competition,you tense up and try too hard to succeed.

I understand it is also a cause of flinching.

Vic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ned,  I have heard this discussed before and described as a fear of failing. Consequently when it really matters, like in a competition,you tense up and try too hard to succeed.

I understand it is also a cause of flinching.

Vic.
Vic, I sort of get "flinching" as well or as part of the problem ie moving before the clay comes out and consequently getting to far in front, none of this used to happen its only started recently

Sounds like it is a self inflicted pressure to perform well, your practice scores are where you want them to be, so you will be mentally setting that level of score (in your mind) when you shoot registered/competition shoots. Then what happens is you pressure yourself when it starts to go wrong, then at the next shoot you are already tense because you are worries of repeating the process and therefore shooting badly.

Someone once told me this: Practice like competition, competition like practice, basically when you practice try and do it as if it were a competition, idea being when you then shoot the competition you are already intune with what is required. You should always remind yourself that you are more then capable of hitting each target, you are more then capable of shooting a 90 plus (whatever you know you can score consistently), and that there is no difference between your practice rounds and your competition rounds.

This is a big area for all clay shooters, two things occur here - the first is the mental reaction to the situation - it is registered, it is a competition - from this is the pressure to perform and this can also lead to the fear of failure. When we have these reactions the common response is an increase in heart rate, respiration rate, muscle tension. In the last two years I have been looking at the trigger freeze/flinch issues and much of this is due to the mental intervention. In my experience of working with people on this there are many things to change and these include breathing techniques, changes in the thought process, looking at what the bodily reaction is and any changes that we can make in the physical set up for the shot too. Another key area is the visualisation of the outcome of a shoot and look at what you need to do within your performance, rather than just focus on the score.

This is a big area for all clay shooters, two things occur here - the first is the mental reaction to the situation - it is registered, it is a competition - from this is the pressure to perform and this can also lead to the fear of failure. When we have these reactions the common response is an increase in heart rate, respiration rate, muscle tension. In the last two years I have been looking at the trigger freeze/flinch issues and much of this is due to the mental intervention. In my experience of working with people on this there are many things to change and these include breathing techniques, changes in the thought process, looking at what the bodily reaction is and any changes that we can make in the physical set up for the shot too. Another key area is the visualisation of the outcome of a shoot and look at what you need to do within your performance, rather than just focus on the score.
+1.    Listen to this Man! He really knows his stuff. Skeet is a mental challenge. You already know how to hit all the targets physically, but what is holding you back is your brain. It's a wonderful thing but it can screw with your shooting!

You need psychological help (I mean that in a nice way of course!) Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, looks like I need a shrink!!

Its not that bad! Although I'm sure a few sessions with Phil would sort you out. If thats not feasible try lowering your goals (not too far) and making them realistic for a few weeks, as soon as you achieve those set another goal slightly higher etc

Going out today to relax my mind with a good dose of sporting, just what the doctor ordered :eek:nthequiet:

Yes I have heard this as well, but to be honest I felt that it was worth it and I feel a lot more comfitable with my new stance, I haven't put into practice everything he said but with out a doubt it has much improved my station 4 pairs performance. Its lamost like I have had the confidence switch turned off I my head when I shoot registered or competition. 

So, when you practice (at Dartford I presume)...how do you practice and with whom?  Do you practice on your own or in a squad?  Good shooters or average shooters?

I stopped "practising" skeet and only shot Registered / Comps and I tried to make sure that I shot with decent shooters, so that I am comfortable with the pressure.

Point being, if you shoot on your own or with casual shooters, how can you expect to relax when it comes to shooting in a squad of decent shooters at a registered event?

Another thing...if you have the habit of watching all of your fellow shooters targets...try not doing that....just look at the grass for a bit and give your brain a break...you cant concentrate fully on skeet for the whole round, so only concentrate for those 2 mins that you need to on each stand...then look at the guys before you's targets, then brain switches on and you shoot your targets.

Latest posts

Back