Nickel Perazzis and Rusting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old Ithaca Mag10 rusted really bad, after we spent the night up the airiel masts on the solway, was in its slip and tied to the mast, but   the tide was higher than we expected that night.       

Depends on the quality of the finish, doesn't matter how much oil you use, if it's a poor quality finish corrosion will attack the metal! As you  know guns are for using and will be subject to water, sweat and all sort of rust inducing nastiness.

Really?  Are yours wrapped up with an anti-corrosion prevention system and kept in a inert gas atmosphere with negative pressure.  If not and you use them they will be constantly attacked by nastiness that will cause corrosion.  Barrels for example have a finite life and once they've had enough they will pit and then they will rust.
Absolutely wrong.  Proper care will see to the gun not rusting.  Take a quick look at all those Brit game guns over a hundred years old used LOTS in your filthy weather and not a rusty one, inside or out, to shame an owner.  You people do know how to wax a gun, right?  Cleaning, oiling?  GingAF?

Maybe there should be a sticky on Gun Care.  JIC you don't actually know how to do it

just a thot

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the quality of the finish, doesn't matter how much oil you use, if it's a poor quality finish corrosion will attack the metal! As you  know guns are for using and will be subject to water, sweat and all sort of rust inducing nastiness.

Really?  Are yours wrapped up with an anti-corrosion prevention system and kept in a inert gas atmosphere with negative pressure.  If not and you use them they will be constantly attacked by nastiness that will cause corrosion.  Barrels for example have a finite life and once they've had enough they will pit and then they will rust.
Without being too rude what a lot of rubbish. I shoot my gun every week it is kept in its carrying case behind the sofa when not being used and if lucky it gets a proper clean once every three or four months. It does however get wiped down thoroughly with an oily rag after ever shoot... the insides of the barrels are never cleaned after shooting but do get a clean out when the proper cleaning takes place. You are welcome to come along and try to find a speck of rust on my gun at any time.  ... the barrels have a finite life .. what a crock.. the barrels of any Perazzi will see the original owner to their  box it depends what you like to call finite .

edit

By the way it twenty seven years old now when does "finite life kick in ".

Absolutely wrong.  Proper care will see to the gun not rusting.  Take a quick look at all those Brit game guns over a hundred years old used LOTS in your filthy weather and not a rusty one, inside or out, to shame an owner.  You people do know how to wax a gun, right?  Cleaning, oiling?  GingAF?

Maybe there should be a sticky on Gun Care.  JIC you don't actually know how to do it

just a thot

Without being too rude what a lot of rubbish. I shoot my gun every week it is kept in its carrying case behind the sofa when not being used and if lucky it gets a proper clean once every three or four months. It does however get wiped down thoroughly with an oily rag after ever shoot... the insides of the barrels are never cleaned after shooting but do get a clean out when the proper cleaning takes place. You are welcome to come along and try to find a speck of rust on my gun at any time.  ... the barrels have a finite life .. what a crock.. the barrels of any Perazzi will see the original owner to their  box it depends what you like to call finite .

edit

By the way it twenty seven years old now when does "finite life kick in ".
Then clearly as you are both experts and you know all about my professional qualifications, you'd better write to my employer (they spent an awful lot of taxpayers money training me all those years ago) who would instantly sack me because I talk a lot of crock and have been ripping off the taxpayer for the past 34 years!

I hope I haven't been too rude, I haven't even had a drink!

Then clearly as you are both experts and you know all about my professional qualifications, you'd better write to my employer who would instantly sack me because I talk a lot of crock and have been ripping off the tax payer for the past 34 years!

Clearly you are too sensitive about your professional standing and I don't really care what you do as a profession.  I am telling you about my experiences with my own guns which is treated exactly as stated. I have a 12 year old Beretta 687 silver pig III sitting up stairs in its carrying case which has been treated exactly the same only it has not been used or even looked at for more that three years ... absolutely like new. in fact apart from very light handling marks on the wood work I would defy anybody to find a fault with it and it is a game gun which has been used in all weathers. The secret is making sure a wet gun is properly aired before storage... my trap guns NEVER get wet! A wipe down with a cloth previously soaked in Castrol 10/40 semi synth engine oil is just fine.. oh and I always wear cotton gloves when I do the cleaning.. keeps my fingers off the gun and some of the oil off my hands... but the gloves are infused with oil now too... double whammy!

Clearly you are too sensitive about your professional standing and I don't really care what you do as a profession.  I am telling you about my experiences with my own guns which is treated exactly as stated. I have a 12 year old Beretta 687 silver pig III sitting up stairs in its carrying case which has been treated exactly the same only it has not been used or even looked at for more that three years ... absolutely like new. in fact apart from very light handling marks on the wood work I would defy anybody to find a fault with it and it is a game gun which has been used in all weathers. The secret is making sure a wet gun is properly aired before storage... my trap guns NEVER get wet! A wipe down with a cloth previously soaked in Castrol 10/40 semi synth engine oil is just fine.. oh and I always wear cotton gloves when I do the cleaning.. keeps my fingers off the gun and some of the oil off my hands... but the gloves are infused with oil now too... double whammy!
Me sensitive No! just offering opinion and experience in an open forum,

Then clearly as you are both experts and you know all about my professional qualifications, you'd better write to my employer who would instantly sack me because I talk a lot of crock and have been ripping off the tax payer for the past 34 years!

Me sensitive No! just offering opinion and experience in an open forum,

Really !

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

Then clearly as you are both experts and you know all about my professional qualifications, you'd better write to my employer (they spent an awful lot of taxpayers money training me all those years ago) who would instantly sack me because I talk a lot of crock and have been ripping off the taxpayer for the past 34 years!

Sure!!  Be happy to help out there.  Post your employer's name and addy and I'll get right to it.

So then........Nickel Perazzi's don't rust then....   :lol:

Think I've made my mind up anyway.......I want a black action one now! .......with 33" Barrels as well!   :p

Cor Lumey, I've asked 2 questions on Bores and rust and I've set off a right stink!  Apologies Ed!

I have got my answers though!!!   :D

Think I've made my mind up anyway.......I want a black action one now! .......with 33" Barrels as well!   :p

Cor Lumey, I've asked 2 questions on Bores and rust and I've set off a right stink!  Apologies Ed!

Depends how you treat the gun! I have an old MX8 that has been well looked after before I got it and the gun is the same now as when I bought it... lovely :)  The thing is to make sure if it gets wet you dry and oil it. My gun does not get wet and after shooting gets wiped over with an oily rag and from time to time I give the bores a clean with some cleaner and a bronze brush and they come up like a mirror. As a point on rusting about a year ago I somehow made a very small scratch on the barrel near the muzzle end... the scratch is as bright today as the day it happened so there has been no corrosion and that bit of completely unprotected bit of metal. Today however I have at my disposal a Birchwood Casey gun blue touch up pen so I am going to see if it gets rid of that particular blemish and any other bits I can find :)

Good decision, the black action ones are prettier anyway.
It is in the eye of the beholder ... but I totally agree.

And with the black action DSR you get those three letters on the underside of the action in snazzy silver too - sweet.

not until now BUT I need some of that looks way better than baby oil. ?

Hmmmm....Looking at the above.........seems like if you've got a 'Rusty Gun'......... you're not putting it in the right place........... :p

(Ed's Gonna kill me for that)!

Back