New Shooter Buzz!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Hey all looking to get into Clay shooting after really enjoying and done well at a Game Fair which i got such a buzz! So im after some advice. I know you need a licence and a cabinet that needs to be bolted to the walls or floor but there is a few other things i would like to ask:

What U/O gun is good for a beginner Or even maker? (nothing to over prized and i dont mind second hand)

What Cartridges are people using?

And any clubs i can join in Cheshire ??

And just any advice people can give me ??

Much appreciated Jay

Welcome aboard Jay! I am still in my first few months of shooting so probably best if I leave some of the forum's "grey beards" to pontificate on your questions....but good luck and I hope you continue to enjoy the sport...beware it is addictive! :smile:

Don't buy anything until you have been to a few clubs and got to know people, we are a friendly bunch so someone will always lend you a gun at a club for you to try. Go to a local gunshop, they will tell you where you can shoot locally , you've got Catton Hall at Frodsham, Cloudside at Congleton, Mickley Hall near Crewe. There are bound to be lots more.

Hello and welcome Jay - nice pic

When you're ready to buy, go for a used Beretta, Browning or Miroku

Welcome aboard Jay - enjoy ShootClay - any questions, please let us know...

Jay, enjoy- and take some advice from here to avoid costly mistakes etc.

Matt, it is so often that this site gets a Newbie asking the 'standard' list of questions that it would be worth doing a `Newbie FAQ` page (pdf or something) that contains the answers we all repeatedly give? Obviously clearly stated that its just folklore and opinions etc.. but it would be a handy thing, both for the Newbies and to save repetition for your loyal scribes?

CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay Jay

Welcome to what is a very enjoyable, if sometimes a little frustrating, sport.

I would also encourage you to buy a second hand gun from a well known manufacturer. Browning, Beretta or others will fit the bill. Before taking the plunge I would take some time to visit different grounds and get some idea of the different disciplines available. Try them and find a favourite, this will help determine your choice of gun.

Do ask if your not sure, there are plenty of shooters out there who are able to advise someone new to the sport. Once you have your gun and are ready to go seek out a coach and have some lessons in your discipline of choice. This is the quickest and cheapest way to learn.

get along to cloudside shooting ground nr congleton and book a lesson and they will tell you all you need to know and you can use there guns on lessons till you get a fealing for what gun and discipline you want to shoot.if you go let me know im there most weeks.

Don't buy the first gun you get hold of, you'll only see another one you want more :wink:

Seriously though do try have a go with a few different guns, even the same make and model of gun can feel different.

Hey all thanks for the warm welcome !! Im so excited to get stuck into this sport after i got such a buzz clay shooting at Tabley house 8 out of 10 should of been nine but not bad for my first time!! And iv fancy a second hand Beretta iv seen a Beretta S686 Special 12 Ga which looks a real awesome gun for £695 but just gunna have a few lesons first and try some guns!. And tbh i like the sound of all the Displins especially Olympic Trap and Double Trap. And Cheers Paul b i will do! I fancy cloudside since it seem an awesome club and i dont mind the drive. Also how dose it work is it a monthly payment or pay for your Targets? Since in the summer i wouldnt mind going Twice a week and once in the winter! If work permitted i would go everyday!! . JayJay :D

I coach at Cloudside, you are more than welcome. Remember that have -a-go stands are very easy targets and so do not be disappointed to find that clayshooting is much harder to really master. As I said get out and about as much as possible before you part with your hard earned money.

Lessons can be expensive but if you have a good instructor they are worth every penny.

Yes i will definitely be up for that! Soon as im back from my holiday ill be booking a few! And i new it was a lot easier so i'm going Cheshire show tomorrow 10 out of 10 or i'm not leaving haha! And i'm a sucka for taking up a challenge! So the harder it is the more i will want to better myself I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward ! Anyway easy is boring !!!!!

JayJay

If you need a good instructor get in touch with sloppyone.

He has the numbers of quite a few :))

Latest posts

Back