Cabinet modifications

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hi everyone.

As per my last posts, it turns out my cabinet was an inhospitable place to be, as condensation caused my stock to swell. Never one to miss out on a project I set out to modify my cabinet into something a bit more suitable. 

Firstly, I was disappointed at the offerings in the UK. Considering our general climate I expected more off the shelf solutions to be available.

I will say that this is very much a stage one, I already have plans in place for a better build, but more on that later.

20221222_220206.jpg

This current itteration relies on passive solutions. Step one was to seal off the cabinet by using some P profile rubber draft excluder I had from ScrewFix. On the lip that the door closed against I had to slice off the tube part of the P as it was interfering with the door closing. This should help isolate the environment inside the cabinet from the rest of the attic.

The next task was to insulate the cabinet as much as possible to do the same. I got half a sheet of 5mm plywood which more than covered it, and a pack of 5mm jigsaw flooring underlay. I made templates of the top, back, 2 sides and the returns on the front in the plywood. Two layers of insulation on top of the wood, upholstered with some grey felt from a haberdashery. The bottom is a sample from ShadowFoam, a company that sells kizen foam. It happened to fit the cabinet exactly and has been in there since I bought the cabinet.

I planned out the inside of the cabinet and anywhere I needed to screw into, I replaced the insulation with 2 layers of plywood. The result was a uniform appearance, but a solid enough fixing where required.

20221222_220210.jpg

A Bluetooth hygrometer/thermometer from amazon only cost me £11 but gives a real time update on conditions inside the cabinet and will update even if I'm downstairs. I would recommend this for everyone with a cabinet, regardless of location!

20221222_220151.jpg

I fitted a motion sensor LED strip to help with lighting. It works great and really shows off the inside of cabinet.

I've installed a shelf which carries the main dehumidifier. This is a silica gel holder with built in heater. When it changes colour you plug it in and it drives out the moisture captured.

20221222_220155.jpg

Finally, I have a VP90 sachet that will sit next to my gun on the second hook.

I just need to finish installing more foam in the door and this version will be done.

I'm already looking forward to V2. For this I'm going to use a STC-1000 temperature control unit and an electronics enclosure heater to maintain a comfy temperature inside. As it will be a controlled 18/20 degrees I don't need to worry about it getting steamy.

But, as it should be plain to see I've completely run out of room! This 3 gun cabinet can only carry 1! As I plan on having 4 guns I'm going to need a bigger boat! I also wouldn't put a heater so close to a gunstock either as I would worry about the heat causing problems.

So, what do you guys think? Any suggestions for other things I might have missed?

Also, what's the script with getting a new cabinet? Does the FEO need to inspect the new, empty cabinet before signing it off for holding your guns?

Thanks for sticking with this mammoth post!

That’s an almighty effort Scotty and it looks like you’ve done all you can.

It does beg the question though: If you’ve had to do all this to make for a more hospitable environment for your guns, surely the bigger issue is where you’ve sited your gun cabinet? Is it not possible to site in a more favourable environment. I'm sure you’ve thought about all that already!! 😀

On a more practical/helpful note (and you’ve probably got these), I’ve found silicone infused Gun Socks to be a good addition. Helps protect the gun from moisture and also pranging when going in/out the cabinet…and given your reduced space, that’s probably a handy bonus!

Thorough job done well done though.

H

ps. Love the addition of the LED light. 

I'm amazed your Bluetooth hygrometer/thermometer works inside your closed metal cabinet

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed your Bluetooth hygrometer/thermometer works inside your closed metal cabinet
I know. I was sure that it would be a Faraday cage and I would need to open the door to get an update but it's the little engine that could! It certainly updates quicker when you're next to it but I'll take the few seconds wait when not. Screenshot_20221223_153924_ThermoPro Sensor.jpg

You can see the time last night I had the door open to finish working on it and take the pictures.

Nice job, did you insulate between the brick wall and the back of the cabinet? a thin piece of plywood whoud be better than nothing 
I didnt, actually. I found some thermo-insulating rubber sheeting for that but didn't get it. That will most likely be for V2. The wall it's attached to is the divider between two terraced houses so not exactly external but still cold.

@Hermit I agree it would be better if the cabinet was situated in the main house, but as per previous posts this was the closest comprise that I could swing with my wife. Perhaps some time in the future she'll be on board but so far the cabinet has to be well out of the way of kids and not anywhere she can see it. I contacted Teague about their silicone gun socks and they told me they cover the full gun, but I was thinking they might interfere with the VP90. 

The lights are really useful. It was a two pack and one now lights the cupboard under the stairs. The control unit unplugs leaving the light strip in place and recharges with a USBC.Screenshot_20221223_160346_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sorry Colin, I'm in a bar with a really bad signal so couldn't get on to amazon. Its a thermpro unit. Hope you found it OK.

Ahhh yes…I do recall your previous posts about your wife’s reservations on gun storage. You’ve done a fantastic job nonetheless.

Gun Socks are a good addition… if only to protect the tight squeeze.

Good luck,

Would it not have been better to insulate the exterior of the cabinet ? That way you get to store multiple guns, now as you say there’s only room for one.

Ultimately I have my 694, I want a semi auto, I'm getting my wife a ladies spec'd gun and I would like a beater for when I take friends out. So I'm definitely going to need a bigger cabinet at some point.

I did think about insulating the outside first, but was worried it would impede the door opening properly. I was also not happy at the uncushioned interior when taking my gun in and out of the cabinet. Looked like a good way to ding the woodwork.

I do also plan on installing that enclosure heater to keep the cabinet a bit warmer in winter so will need something roomy enough that there isn't a gun leaning on it.

I think the industry are happy with their little lies around capacity. I'm sure to fit 4 guns I'll need a 6 gun cabinet!

I think the industry are happy with their little lies around capacity.
Well, they never mention getting them in or out would be easy. Indeed, the bigger the better for extra space between them.

You have done a great job Scotty. I have each of my cabinets in an over stairs cupboard and one in an under stairs cupboard. In the over stairs cupboard, I added a very small radiator so no condensation at all and in the under stairs cupboard, the heating pipes run through that store anyway so again no issues. The cabinets / heating have been in place since 2002 when I moved into the cottage and never once have I had any issue at all.

Just a thought when V2 is thought about.

Phil

Latest posts

Back