Missing to the left

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Rorbach

I'm shooting a beretta 686 evo and have found that I'm consistently missing simple going away clays to the left. I initially put this down to gun fit however, when I mount the gun, the end and mid bead are aligning perfectly and forming the much talked about figure of 8. So am I right in thinking that it's down to gun fit or could there be another reason?

To overcome the problem I have found that my hit rate greatly improves if I push my cheek over the stock so I'm looking down the right hand side of the rib and the 2 beads are are not lined up at all.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions please?? 

When I close my left eye with the gun mounted at home it doesn't change the view of the beads but I can try shooting with it closed when we can get out and about again. 

It’s not your left eye taking over, tiny amounts of cast can create this problem on going aways, I know because 30+ years ago I went through the same issue. In the end I realised that despite it appearing that the eye/bead/rib were perfectly aligned,  it was possible to detect tiny cast imperfections. 

This is why you’re finding that pushing your face into the stock helps, the easiest way round this is to have an adjustable comb and dial it into exact alignment, one reason I always have adj combs and have always stated small amounts of cast as well as other subtle tricks can help dial out recoil issues too - despite popular misconceptions raising the poi is the least valid reason for owning an adj comb.

Can I also add that you might be overly conscience of the possible miss and you might as a result lose concentration / focus.

Another very simple reason for not hitting this type of target is not having a good foot position and you basically run out of swing the gun slows and you miss behind. The other important thing is, as you are a new shooter, you do not know where your gun is pointing yet once you learn this you will build in the correct lead/swing through though as has been said by many a shooter simple/straight'ish going away targets are the most underestimated targets of all.

It’s not your left eye taking over, tiny amounts of cast can create this problem on going aways, I know because 30+ years ago I went through the same issue. In the end I realised that despite it appearing that the eye/bead/rib were perfectly aligned,  it was possible to detect tiny cast imperfections. 

This is why you’re finding that pushing your face into the stock helps, the easiest way round this is to have an adjustable comb and dial it into exact alignment, one reason I always have adj combs and have always stated small amounts of cast as well as other subtle tricks can help dial out recoil issues too - despite popular misconceptions raising the poi is the least valid reason for owning an adj comb.
Absolutely.  I've noticed that folks often sorta squirm around on the gun when "checking fit" and are only fitting themselves to the gun.  For me getting the POI correct has been usually the prime motivator for the adjusto comb as most of the guns I've had done already had significant cast.  

And all of that was the justification of getting the anatomical stocks as that was the TOTAL solution  :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back