Maintained Lead.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you shoot the bird early enough with maintained then line doesnt come in to the equation, thats prob why people who shoot maintained lead also shoot pretty quick

As ive already said pick up point is vital, i used to struggle alot with teal targets but shooting maintained lead turns them in to relatve bag fillers

where you have to be careful is on long slow crossers, anything under power is no problem

Im not saying the other methods are wrong, just as maintained isn't wrong in the right hands

Maybe i shoot start this Fitasc lark, might start a new trend?
Maintained on a teal? WOW! Tell me how , Master Yoda? :)

To shoot maintained on teal, get your hold point correct, start well above the trap, see the clay underneath the gun pull the trigger, does take a bit of mastering

Thats enough secrets for now

So how would it work on the distance teal at grange farm ???

How would you use maintained lead at a distance of 130 yards.

Interested in an honest answer as this method of shooting intrigues me .

Thanks.

Daz.

Not really spot shooting, cos the guns always moving , the clays always under the gun

Yeah i agree some of the things you read on here :)

i havent shot the teal challenge at grange but when i shoot there registered next ill have a blat and let u know

To shoot maintained on teal, get your hold point correct, start well above the trap, see the clay underneath the gun pull the trigger, does take a bit of mastering

Quite intrigued here Chris, as a rule I come from below and blot teal but I do recall coming across a close trap, vertical and very fast teal once and somehow managed to maintain shoot them below the barrel, they broke much better than I could have hoped.

PS. surely at 130 yards method doesn't really come into it.................seriously. :huh:

As I said lead is half the battle line is hardest. And with the evil method ur guessing the line, in the pressure of a world champs when being naturally good isn't good enough no one has won a gold medal using maintained lead in over a decade since all these fancy traps throwing nothing straight. so you can all argue your point till we reach 55 pages (great for the forum) but truth is if the other methods are winning medals why waste your time learning one that are not.

2012 world FITASC

Gebben pull away and swing thru

Ben pull away and swing through

Guiseppe pull away

I could go on and on but the results are there for the proof. Mr Digweed = swing through. Mr Faulds = semi pull away, Anthony materese = pull away and swing through......

Anyone seeing the trend .

Ben
Hate to do this but......didn't Ed beat you at the World Sporting at Sweetslade after you had a 3 point lead into the superfinal ?

So maintained lead (which is what Ed shoots) worked ok then. .....and that was a World Championship......just saying (wink)

Off to read the rest now as have to do them bit at a time on iPhone. I will be back.......no doubt.

That is exactly how I used to shoot those as well. (But I am no expert.....but they did break sure enough).

Last edited:
He did and a very very good result for Ed, (after the final we actually tied and I lost to Ed and Pat in sudden death). and I'm not one to make excuses for a bad performance. But what my topic states are consistent winners at the worlds year after year, I think you will also find only one person was consistent at both Worlds this year (bigger wink).

Every man / woman will have a opinion all I'm saying is the proof is in the pudding if no one can win one world champs with the method let alone consistently (ps I've won a few WINK) I wouldn't waste my time learning it.

Golf, rugby, tennis the top players generally do it the same and yes there are exceptions, but if the top 5 in the world dodge a certain method probably makes sense,

And the true leveller is FITASC you can test your self against many better shots from many different countries you know that Nic xx

Good chat tho

Last edited by a moderator:

That isn't going to work on most of the FITASC teal I've seen this year!!! Or all the wind affected long, slow stuff...just think how good you could be with a more consistent technique!?!?

Another question/observation...how do you shoot maintained lead on targets that don't follow a consistent flight path, curling/dropping/bouncing or even a trap that throws slightly differently clay to clay?

Folks, I keep saying the same thing.....do not eliminate maintained lead.....if it works for you on some targets. You do not have to follow 'the rest of the world'......because you may be special....! The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong ......I am saying do what works for you......this is my opinion only.

Look at our dear Pete Wilson......in his own words he states that he does not shoot like most of the shooters......he shoots 'like an Arab'. Being not only different but committed won him an Olympic Gold medal.

If it does not work for you....bin it.....but if it does work for you.....don't be put off by others.

@ben...always happy to Jaw....and i agree when you said on here is that FITASC is the true leveller.......I always call it 'the thinking mans sporting' (smile). Yes that is where the big hitters are from all over the World in that discipline and In any FITASC discipline...because it is played on a larger stage.

But.....that does not mean that they are any bigger than the top winners of all disciplines......even Skeet......(who use a lot of maintained lead).

Another question/observation...how do you shoot maintained lead on targets that don't follow a consistent flight path, curling/dropping/bouncing or even a trap that throws slightly differently clay to clay?
The same as you do in the wind. All clays whatever they are and whatever method you use need you to have the eye on the clay.

....true story..(wink)

To be fair maintained only works on teal with a pre mounted gun, so it would take a bit of tweaking for fitasc, on sporting tho i havent met a teal i havent been able to shoot it on yet

As i said earlier i shoot stuff early so line doesnt really come in to it

Long slow crossers can take a bit of mastering

Ive shot the technique for years its something i started doing and have stuck to it

To be honest with you i wouldnt shoot any better or consistent any other way so i certainly wont be changing it feels the most natural way and works for me

It would be nice to meet u Darkside to show you the method can work for certain people

Back