Maintained Lead.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why if the plan is right and all technique is good do you still miss.....obviously if you do something like shoot the wrong bird first or have poor foot position....that could cause a miss.....but when all is good and it looks right but you miss what has happened......what we find is that muzzle awareness varies shooter to shooter....day to day....stand to stand....as well as pair to pair and shot to shot.....when the technique is good but the target is missed what has happened????????....it could be mental and that is where everybody goes but our research shows it is not mental....the reason everybody goes to mental problem is one of two reasons.....either they dont want to take responsibility for the miss or they dont know what is causing the miss.....ck the post on Bead or no bead.....

Cleaver no offense taken.....have pretty tick skin and been short all my life......lemeno
Gil,I really mean no offence. I was just robustly disagreeing with you, hope that's OK.

Last Sunday there was a high overhead going away target. I did everything right (in my opinion) other than I perceived that it would need more lead than it actually needed. So I gave it 3 feet underneath and missed. I then did the usual human thing of giving it 3 feet again, no luck. I then stopped. Thought.. Hmm, not working, it can't need more. I then gave it just under two feet and smashed it. Nowhere there did I have a technique problem of any sort. (Not saying I never do.. But I did not on this occasion). I strongly argue that I did not look back at the barrel and measure my lead in any different way to all my other successful shots. I merely assessed a new target wrongly; seeing it as further away and more downward travelling than it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clever, at least you stopped and thought, I gave it 3 feet 5 times, and to my astonishment it never broke once. :fie:

Maintained lead worked for me last Sunday when I shot a personal best (although maintained lead was incidental, but useful/vital).

Stand #1 saw you shooting directly into the Sun - hold and kill point - blinded.  Had to think of a different way to hit the bird.

So, stood slightly back in the stand and close-up to its right-hand-side, meaning I couldn't swing the gun from its pick-up point (as I was hard-up against the stand), or pick the bird up and track it from the trap; I then put the thick wooden upright of the stand between me (my eye) and the Sun, meaning I had no Sun glare and I could track the bird only from a held point (maintained lead), before picking it up as it tracked its trajectory before shooting it.

I straighted the stand. 8/8.

I use maintained lead too often but it is very useful, rely on it and if your timing is good you shoot like a god, but if its out then disaster beckons....as always use a bit of a mix but dont forget the reverse swing through on teal (try it youll be amazed at how well it works) and the vertical chop on low fast crossers (another Pet Easton special!)

I use maintained lead too often but it is very useful, rely on it and if your timing is good you shoot like a god, but if its out then disaster beckons....as always use a bit of a mix but dont forget the reverse swing through on teal (try it youll be amazed at how well it works) and the vertical chop on low fast crossers (another Pet Easton special!)
Reverse swing on teal? Wassat then? Sounds intriguing, especially as these are becoming a bad target for me again recently..

I may be out of sync with this, but surely maintained lead is used once you've stood behind the previous shooter and watched how the bird presents itself, before deciding on whether you're going to deploy the tactic or not?

And if you're first up on a stand, then ask to see a pair?

Or have I missed something? Maintained lead is used as a tactic on a given bird, as it presents itself, and not as a "I'll shoot all 12 stands" with it?

decided today that I use maintained far too much, some targets it works very nicely on but others I feel I am not "connected" to the bird, especially on line, if that makes any sense? going to try a bit more pull away and swing through to try and stay with the bird

I like Maintained lead: turn up early achieve a good score to Establish lead good enough to be Maintained; Win class - Maintained Lead. I use it whenever possible!

Aplogies if already explained - to many posts to read

I like Maintained lead: turn up early achieve a good score to Establish lead good enough to be Maintained; Win class - Maintained Lead. I use it whenever possible!

Aplogies if already explained - to many posts to read

:D

dont forget the reverse swing through on teal (try it youll be amazed at how well it works) and the vertical chop on low fast crossers (another Pet Easton special!)

Get the kettle on and the biscuits out, settle down ready for at least an eight pager.

Women ! What do they know? :haha:

decided today that I use maintained far too much, some targets it works very nicely on but others I feel I am not "connected" to the bird, especially on line, if that makes any sense? going to try a bit more pull away and swing through to try and stay with the bird
Being Connected to the target is something I always describe and feel. You can see watching somebody if they are connected or not even with big leads it just looks different!

Well I don’t think I see lead a such, in fact I really couldn’t tell you the lead I put on any clay, all I do is put the gun in a given gap in front of the clay and put the trigger, I think more importantly it’s all to do with timing the move of the gun to the optimum kill point.

Therefore I couldn’t tell you where the gun is when I pull the trigger, I just don’t see it.

One more thing... I never let the clay in front of the gun (except of course shooting teals) too which I mean I never chase the clay, gives me more time and seems to slow everything down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back