Maintained Lead.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple answer, maintained lead is the worst method for consistency , no one has won a world champs using it since I'd say biddy. If the worlds best rant using it prob best to stay clear of it !!,! Ben

Good answer Ben, but now you've got me thinking, (and you know how dangerous that can be).

What method do you honestly think that YOU use on distant Fitasc type crossers? ( Remember I've got my analytical head on)

As you know, I possibly use a method that could be described as 'Corrective Lead'? on Monster Targets.

I have a look at them, dig into the memory bank and apply what I think is right. I do think that when you have shot a few targets you do get a 'feel' for Lead.

For me I feel that if you have the time to to mount on the target and establish gun/target relationship and use acceleration, on line, it does work very well. But of course that is where the target setter cunning comes into play and they work on disrupting rythm.

Now this is intended in a polite way.......but it is absolute rubbish to say stay away from maintained lead Ben. Come on...!

It is an internationally recognised and valid method of shooting a target. No one here has said that you should shoot everything with maintained lead, but you cannot tell people to stay away from a shooting method just because you are a top shot who does not like it (for whatever reason - maybe 'you' can't get on with it ...who knows).....people look up to you.....and they may actually already use maintained lead for certain targets quite well...but now think of stopping after your comments. I would agree with you if you said 'you cannot shoot OT with maintained lead', but sporting is totally different, you know where they are coming from.

Surely you are not advocating using only one method the whole way round a sporting course

Campers......

1) use the method that suits you for the targets that you come up against...!

2) you cannot all shoot the same style as the top shots (they all shoot differently anyway)...shooters are not cloned.

3) if you are already a reasonable shot with a reasonable style...your coach will work with you to improve you skills....and will not try to change you to their style, which might not work for you at all.

4) choose a coach that teaches what 'you' want to learn.

Maybe we should get a list going of 'top shots' who can and do shoot some / several targets with maintained lead.... I will start it off with....

Ed Solomons

Chris Childerhouse

Now this is intended in a polite way.......but it is absolute rubbish to say stay away from maintained lead Ben. Come on...!

It is an internationally recognised and valid method of shooting a target. No one here has said that you should shoot everything with maintained lead, but you cannot tell people to stay away from a shooting method just because you are a top shot who does not like it...
Nicola, I've had a couple of lessons with Ben so far, one was 1-2-1 the other was a Masterclass group lesson with 6 others. I've never shot maintained lead, Ben doesn't teach it, he teaches methods that he (and I for what my opinions worth) belive to be more concistent. There was three guys in a row at Auchterhouse who were struggling to shoot a long crosser useing maintained lead, Ben had them concistently breaking the long crosser within 5 minutes by changing there technique, no "your high", "low", "behind" or "in front"...just technique

Nicola, I've had a couple of lessons with Ben so far, one was 1-2-1 the other was a Masterclass group lesson with 6 others. I've never shot maintained lead, Ben doesn't teach it, he teaches methods that he (and I for what my opinions worth) belive to be more concistent. There was three guys in a row at Auchterhouse who were struggling to shoot a long crosser useing maintained lead, Ben had them concistently breaking the long crosser within 5 minutes by changing there technique, no "your high", "low", "behind" or "in front"...just technique
I've had a similar experience to those guys, when practising hard stuff on my own.

Like I said boys .....it is horses for courses....use what works for you.....but I never trash what works very very well for others.

There are many ways to break targets. It seems daft to advocate to ignore some.

Last edited:
Hi Nic I stand by my post ,,,, it's the worst method out there and I would urge anyone to practice as much as u can to get away from it. There are many sports where different techniques are applied but u generally see the elite doing it the same way. As in any sport there are tiers elite, top and good I can assure u know in elite uses maintained lead, I know them all personally and there methods inside out. The closes u will find to someone of that stature iis gebben who uses maintained lead but rarely. He had a lots of sessions with me over the summer to move away from this destructive method.

Love ya Nicola xxxxx

Hi Nic I stand by my post ,,,, it's the worst method out there and I would urge anyone to practice as much as u can to get away from it. There are many sports where different techniques are applied but u generally see the elite doing it the same way. As in any sport there are tiers elite, top and good I can assure u know in elite uses maintained lead, I know them all personally and there methods inside out. The closes u will find to someone of that stature iis gebben who uses maintained lead but rarely. He had a lots of sessions with me over the summer to move away from this destructive method.
Love ya Nicola xxxxx
What do you think Richard Faulds is doing Ben? He taught me a type of maintained and appears to shoot it, but does he really?

with very limlted experiance i would say get your feet and hold point right and you will naturally slip into whatever method is needed to kill the bird i would suggest maintained lead is not a natural way of shooting but chris and others have exceptional hand eye coordination and can make it work on almost all targets.

Love ya Nicola xxxxx
Good for you sweetie.....be happy for what works for you. I did not quite understand the middle of your post but I think that if you call maintained lead 'destructive' you should follow it with 'in my opinion'......for the obvious reasons....it is only your opinion.

Many top shots use it quite successfully and it is a valid method of shooting whether you hate it or not (wink).

Would love to sign off 'love ya tooooo' but don't want him indoors getting jealous (wink).

Last edited:
Maybe we should get a list going of 'top shots' who can and do shoot some / several targets with maintained lead.... I will start it off with....

Ed Solomons

Chris Childerhouse
Bill mcguire ( World sportrap champion )

Carl

I had a go at learning to shoot maintained lead a few years ago and it was a disaster. It messed up my shooting for about 18 months.

Now I have reverted to a form of pull away on most targets and only use (a form of) maintained on some loopers and battues.

I also shoot some serious Welsh pheasants and they are virtually impossible to shoot maintained lead - you just cant find the line that way.

Pheasants, feathered or not are good example, I had a spell of difficulty on driven stuff and Carl Bloxham sorted me out, I had slipped into maintained lead and he got me addressing the target from well behind, problem gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, maintained will never consistently work on driven birds, no matter which way you cut it!

People shoot 400 straight Skeet with maintained no? Must be good enough for some targets then.

Watch his dvd and then say he dosent !!

I have, and shot with him, and he doesn't.

Latest posts

Back