Maintained Lead.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no right method, its what ever works for the individual,

90% of sporting targets you shoot in front, surely if you start in front its half the battle. To shoot maintained consistenly you have to get your pick up point right or you will struggle and to me its definately the most natural way of shooting

Various top shots use the method Mickey Rouse former world Fitasc champion( hes not to shabby) and probably the best all round shot at the moment Richard King

Coming back to is it a consistent method i shoot maintained on 99% of my targets, last year i shot over 10,000 registered English sporting at pretty much all the grounds and ended up with an average of around 92%

Dont knock it till uve tried it!!

There is no right method, its what ever works for the individual,

90% of sporting targets you shoot in front, surely if you start in front its half the battle. To shoot maintained consistenly you have to get your pick up point right or you will struggle and to me its definately the most natural way of shooting

Various top shots use the method Mickey Rouse former world Fitasc champion( hes not to shabby) and probably the best all round shot at the moment Richard King

Coming back to is it a consistent method i shoot maintained on 99% of my targets, last year i shot over 10,000 registered English sporting at pretty much all the grounds and ended up with an average of around 92%

Dont knock it till uve tried it!!
I agree Chris....don't knock it peeps until you have tried it......!!

As i said ....lots of top shots shoot with maintained lead. Never discount anything without trying it......there are many methods in shooting.....use what works for you.....!! Maintained lead is NOT the devil......!!

I sometimes swing through the bird (Sporting), to a lead picture, then maintain that. That way I get the line...what would that be, "pull away" or something else?

I sometimes swing through the bird (Sporting), to a lead picture, then maintain that. That way I get the line...what would that be, "pull away" or something else?
This is what I said to start this thread off, in my opinion this is Maintained and I do it all the time, proper swing through is surely pulling the trigger as gun reaches the lead and keep moving. As I said though maintained is most commonly assumed to be inserting in front of the bird.

I do like Swintained though.
Has a certain "ring" to it, I agree. :)

Yeah, I tend to shoot proper maintained on Skeet targets, assuming everything goes as planned of course!

Someone questioned how it is possible to shoot maintained on the double at station 4. Pretty straightforward, if you shoot the high bird about 15 yards out of the house, this gives you time to slow the gun and turn, at which point the low bird is just passing the peg, then you maintain that and kill it in about the same place as you did the high bird.

Chris Batha also states that you can't do this, but that is only if you let the High Bird get to the peg, or nearly to the peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spr
Anything can be done. But whether it can be done consistently or better / easier than any other way is the question.

As I said lead is half the battle line is hardest. And with the evil method ur guessing the line, in the pressure of a world champs when being naturally good isn't good enough no one has won a gold medal using maintained lead in over a decade since all these fancy traps throwing nothing straight. so you can all argue your point till we reach 55 pages (great for the forum) but truth is if the other methods are winning medals why waste your time learning one that are not.

2012 world FITASC

Gebben pull away and swing thru

Ben pull away and swing through

Guiseppe pull away

I could go on and on but the results are there for the proof. Mr Digweed = swing through. Mr Faulds = semi pull away, Anthony materese = pull away and swing through......

Anyone seeing the trend .

Ben

As I said lead is half the battle line is hardest. And with the evil method ur guessing the line, in the pressure of a world champs when being naturally good isn't good enough no one has won a gold medal using maintained lead in over a decade since all these fancy traps throwing nothing straight. so you can all argue your point till we reach 55 pages (great for the forum) but truth is if the other methods are winning medals why waste your time learning one that are not.
2012 world FITASC

Gebben pull away and swing thru

Ben pull away and swing through

Guiseppe pull away

I could go on and on but the results are there for the proof. Mr Digweed = swing through. Mr Faulds = semi pull away, Anthony materese = pull away and swing through......

Anyone seeing the trend .

Ben
Can't really argue with that Ben. Would you describe pull away as mounting on the bird or in front of it?

I mount on the birs and move away, Richard mounts at Half his lead and pulls the rest both obviously effective. Trust if maintained lead worked when the pressures on we would be doing it,

I mount on the birs and move away, Richard mounts at Half his lead and pulls the rest both obviously effective. Trust if maintained lead worked when the pressures on we would be doing it,
I know your right about Richard because that's exactly what he showed me, and it worked beautifully at his range on big leads, but back home I struggle to find a target I can do it on.

Everything takes practice, and Richard isn't a good shot he's elite he's one of the 5 at the top of the tree. I'm sure if Richard showed you on your targets you would fix it. My advice is if there smaller leads than Richards place go back to starting closer to the bird and matching the speed and line before pulling away mate. Ben

Miles uses all 3 and if I may use a tad more liberty...variations there of. Allow me...the pull away on long crossers he (and many of the young "Top Guns here in the states) mount to a spot somewhere in front of the target then "Bump" to the lead vs mounting on the leading edge and extending to the lead. When they talk amongst themselves at a shoot more often than not when they say they were 4 feet in front that is their insertion point and they "Bump" to the lead from there.

We are getting into target "Savvy" and hours of practice to know what method will get you the Xs

If you shoot the bird early enough with maintained then line doesnt come in to the equation, thats prob why people who shoot maintained lead also shoot pretty quick

As ive already said pick up point is vital, i used to struggle alot with teal targets but shooting maintained lead turns them in to relatve bag fillers

where you have to be careful is on long slow crossers, anything under power is no problem

Im not saying the other methods are wrong, just as maintained isn't wrong in the right hands

Maybe i shoot start this Fitasc lark, might start a new trend?

Back