Maintained Lead.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tug on a donkeys nose...they don't like it.....true story.....just saying..!!

2nd that Ed! at the end of the day its who breaks the most targets

thats why I've been over leeding then, I must be tugging too violently :.:

You never know your luck Chris (or lack of it) hope to make it down to at least one major...

Folks, I keep saying the same thing.....do not eliminate maintained lead.....if it works for you on some targets. You do not have to follow 'the rest of the world'......because you may be special....! The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong ......I am saying do what works for you......this is my opinion only.

Look at our dear Pete Wilson......in his own words he states that he does not shoot like most of the shooters......he shoots 'like an Arab'. Being not only different but committed won him an Olympic Gold medal.

If it does not work for you....bin it.....but if it does work for you.....don't be put off by others.

@ben...always happy to Jaw....and i agree when you said on here is that FITASC is the true leveller.......I always call it 'the thinking mans sporting' (smile). Yes that is where the big hitters are from all over the World in that discipline and In any FITASC discipline...because it is played on a larger stage.

But.....that does not mean that they are any bigger than the top winners of all disciplines......even Skeet......(who use a lot of maintained lead).
and Peter Wilson used the most extreme Maintained lead you can get, it was correct before the target appeared .. Be interesting to see what him and the Arab come up with for Random Pairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of gently tugging away. Now let's all have a nice cuddle x
And i thought this was about shooting style's.I suppose keep tugging away gently will make you shoot when you've mastered it. :)

i always thought maintained lead was an argument against steel shot ???? :frown: :frown:

i think there are a few folk on here that appear to have been brainwashed :)

scores on the board is all that really matters, a 90% childerhouse maintained lead is better than a swing thru darkside 70% every day of the week

maybe he could gain a few birds changing technique here and there but seriously dismissing a style completely is a bit over the top.

Yes but it is a known distance and speed. This is where it causes a problem in sporting
Well Mark, if people cannot judge speed or distance in sporting, I expect it will not matter what method they use (laughs).

i think there are a few folk on here that appear to have been brainwashed :)

scores on the board is all that really matters, a 90% childerhouse maintained lead is better than a swing thru darkside 70% every day of the week

maybe he could gain a few birds changing technique here and there but seriously dismissing a style completely is a bit over the top.
Now people.......this is a discussion on method and not personal.

Quite right....it is scores on the doors.....however you do it.....!!

(Love to all)

Last edited:
Darkside doesn't shoot swing thru...it's not my opinion that matters, it's the results that not only Ben, George and the other Elite shooters consistently achieve, it's the results Ben's students have, Gebbin was over in England training with Ben before the world FITASC , a good few of the English internationals are coached by Ben, some don't mind it being public knowledge, some do, Ben has many international students winning national competitions, as you say, results count!!!

p.s. My scores/consistency in sporting/FITASC jumped dramatically after spending a day and a half with Ben, 70 may be my average, but my scores went from mid 60's to low 80's over night. Yes Chris Childerhouse is vastly more experienced and a much better shot than me, there's no surprise there, that's not the argument...he's been shooting clays for much, much longer than I have, just for starters...

sorry it wasnt a dig at you personally just more of a reminder to all that the method used isnt the biggest factor in results.

i had a day with ben this year and i will admit that he helped me improve consistency on some types of targets as i have pretty much always shot maintained / chop.

the targets that i have found it helped the most were driven and quartering, at the moment i get better consistancy shooting my old methods on the other stuff.

i still cant mount behind or on a crosser, it just doesnt feel right for me. horses for courses.

You enjoy your shooting Darky.......it takes a long time to walk any road.....and there are lots of good times along the way....loads of ups and downs, loads of people who help.....and with a bit of luck you make good pals and plenty of jollies abroad. Then at the end of all that you may / will get some 'gongs'. (Wink).

As for the lovely Gebben, there is a big difference between 'training with' and 'coaching'. I am not sure that Ben is saying that he has coached Gebben to his 2012 World FITASC title. But I know that Henry Hopking definitely did work with Gebben.

Emmsy, it's cool, I take very little personaly...we've never even met, how could it be personal!?!? :D :p ;)

Latest posts

Back