Licence renewal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob81

Hi again all my shotgun certificate is due for renewal march 2015! Can't believe I have been enjoying the sport for 5yrs already can't say I have gotten much better but I'm learning, will get there one day maybe!

Any advice on when I should send my certificate off living in Warwickshire?

Have you been asked for your Certificate?  Just sent off the hubby's form (Met Police) for renewal (again like you in March) but was not asked to send Certificate.

Don't send your expiring certificate back even if requested. Just send the renewal forms back completed asap.

Without it you would be unable to prove you are in lawful possession of your guns or buy ammunition until your new licence arrives which could be weeks or even months away. Having the Police seize your guns is not a good thing. :biggrin:

Haven't sent anything off yet! Will print off renewal form over Xmas to send off in new year if it may take awhile! I would hope 3 months is enough!!!

I think there is a 3 week or 21 day thing that states if you send off after this time they will not guarantee to get back before your old one expires so make sure you get it off before that time period.

Sending in Jan should be plenty of time. Warks seem to have improved recently, it will be interesting to hear how you get on though. 

A friend of mine sent his old certificate off with renewal (as the form asks), but then couldn't but any cartridges!

Also your current cert is valid until the day it expires if it has not expired why would they need it back?

Just send the new confusing forms and if a doctors letter required they have to pay any fee GP charges not you.

Send forms in three months early, recorded delivery. Copy current certificate. If required send current certificate. Buy enough shells to last 6 months.

Don't aggravate them. When they turn up for home visit make them a nice cup of tea and offer some bickies.

Say thank you very much.

Jobs a gooden.

How difficult can it be.

Never had a problem.

Send forms in three months early, recorded delivery. Copy current certificate. If required send current certificate. Buy enough shells to last 6 months.

Don't aggravate them. When they turn up for home visit make them a nice cup of tea and offer some bickies.

Say thank you very much.

Jobs a gooden.

How difficult can it be.

Never had a problem.
The trouble is it is never black and white - its always grey and I like black and white.   When I enquired recently about putting all our guns on both our licences I was told I would need to send off my licence for them to do whatever it is they do to it.  So I asked would I be able to shoot in the meantime without my licence.  The answer I got was very mixed message.  On the one hand she was telling me I shouldn't really and on the other she was saying take a copy of it just in case - no definitive yes or no response.  Don't like that at all.

The trouble is it is never black and white - its always grey and I like black and white. When I enquired recently about putting all our guns on both our licences I was told I would need to send off my licence for them to do whatever it is they do to it. So I asked would I be able to shoot in the meantime without my licence. The answer I got was very mixed message. On the one hand she was telling me I shouldn't really and on the other she was saying take a copy of it just in case - no definitive yes or no response. Don't like that at all.
You spoke to a moron, don't trust what they say, read the the act and the most recent guidance, if still unclear contact your shooting organisation

I have had firearms off and on certificates over the years, I gave up my section 1, then got it back, then cancelled it again, my mates guns on my ticket whilst he was away, my other mates guns on my ticket whilst he divorces his Mrs so she could not get half the value of his guns, etc, etc etc. All the guns back on their tickets eventually. My gun license is full up with all this.

All black and white, I asked for advice, got it writing and followed it.

No problems with any of it.

Surrey offer a first class service.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trouble is it is never black and white - its always grey and I like black and white. When I enquired recently about putting all our guns on both our licences I was told I would need to send off my licence for them to do whatever it is they do to it. So I asked would I be able to shoot in the meantime without my licence. The answer I got was very mixed message. On the one hand she was telling me I shouldn't really and on the other she was saying take a copy of it just in case - no definitive yes or no response. Don't like that at all.
They gave wrong advice. You write the guns on each others certs (in the part for sale of purchase...mark shared) and each of you sends a letter in to your firearms dept... stating shared with xyz.

The only time you need to send anything in ...mid term...is if you have an EFP....because you cannot write on an EFP.

So if you are just in UK.....you do not need to send in until it is next up for renewal.

Simples.

Last edited:
They gave wrong advice.

You write the guns on each others certs (in the part for sale of purchase...mark shared) and each of you sends a letter in to your firearms dept... stating shared with xyz.

The only time you need to send anything in ...mid term...is if you have an EFP....because you cannot write on an EFP.

So if you are just in UK.....you do not need to send in until it is next up for renewal.

Simples.
That is what I thought and what I said to her but she said I was wrong.  I am going to ring again in the New Year and see what answer I get this time.

That is what I thought and what I said to her but she said I was wrong.  I am going to ring again in the New Year and see what answer I get this time.
I have given you the answer of how to do it.....and it is the way I have done it for donkeys years.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I don't doubt you know the answer and it was what I thought was the correct procedure but my call will be to (a) see if anyone knows the correct answer at the Firearms Dept and ( B) if they do, to request that their colleagues are briefed accordingly with correct information.

I don't doubt you know the answer and it was what I thought was the correct procedure but my call will be to (a) see if anyone knows the correct answer at the Firearms Dept and ( B) if they do, to request that their colleagues are briefed accordingly with correct information.
Waste of a phone call....but it is up to you. :wink:

Waste of a phone call....but it is up to you. :wink:
Not really, the least a specific department should be able to do is answer a simple question on their area of the law and if it means someone else benefits in the long run from someone actually giving them the correct information then that is worth it.  Not to say that that will be what will happen but its worth 3 minutes of my time I think.

Go for it.

But if they give a dodge unclear reply then the info is here already

Back