Shotgun certificate renewal ( photos )

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt a GP will be worried about accountability – if they are then I would suggest a different GP as their treatment of patients will be affected by a general worry over criticism/blame. The duty of care owed by the medical professional specifically allows for differences in opinion. The Police may criticise (as they do) but I also suspect the GP is asked to provide reasons not to grant the certificate and that should be relatively clear from the records and knowledge of the patient. The GP should not provide or consider any information not relevant to the exact question being answered. The questions have not after all changed (much) just that the Police want to have a written report on their file as opposed to a letter sent to the GP (and often not replied to). The GP will often know a patient has a certificate anyway and thus, if a duty has arisen, they must act in any event (whether they provided the report or not)

Nick – your point is good but (on the same lines) its the Police that are responsible for signing off the certificate not the GP or Medicert.

In terms of accountability, it might not be the general public or police that’s the issue for a GP but the applicant themselves looking to get a certificate when the GP does not think they are suitable. I know who’s side I would prefer a GP (or Medicert) to be on if that is the case.

I doubt a GP will be worried about accountability – if they are then I would suggest a different GP as their treatment of patients will be affected by a general worry over criticism/blame. The duty of care owed by the medical professional specifically allows for differences in opinion. The Police may criticise (as they do) but I also suspect the GP is asked to provide reasons not to grant the certificate and that should be relatively clear from the records and knowledge of the patient. The GP should not provide or consider any information not relevant to the exact question being answered. The questions have not after all changed (much) just that the Police want to have a written report on their file as opposed to a letter sent to the GP (and often not replied to). The GP will often know a patient has a certificate anyway and thus, if a duty has arisen, they must act in any event (whether they provided the report or not)

Nick – your point is good but (on the same lines) its the Police that are responsible for signing off the certificate not the GP or Medicert.

In terms of accountability, it might not be the general public or police that’s the issue for a GP but the applicant themselves looking to get a certificate when the GP does not think they are suitable. I know who’s side I would prefer a GP (or Medicert) to be on if that is the case.
Look, my GP practice refused. I have no issue with them refusing to be honest and I found the medicert system very painless and no doubt cheaper than if my GP actually did it because I am sure they would charge a lot more.

The GP may or may not be held accountable in the event of something going drastically wrong but I suspect they do not want to be hauled through a coroners court and therefore have every right to refuse to complete the medical form. They are not obliged to complete it. I suspect the GPs would no doubt feel responsible in some way if the worst happened, therefore have made the decision not to be involved. 

I am also not interested changing my GP practice just for an SGC cert every 5 years when Medicert are cheap and efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was not in terms of whether GP's should be required to provide a report but more that if they choose not to I don't think it's an issue of accountability. They are already involved (as the GP) so in terms of finger pointing and whether they provide a report or not they will be asked the same questions (by a Coroner for example). I don't think there is a big difference in providing a report.

I do get that they may not want to clash with a patient however I think the main issue is an administration one decided by not realising they will have to provide the records anyway (and are responsible for the content of them) when asked. I wasn't suggesting for one moment anyone change GP's to get a report from a GP but just that if my GP said I'm not providing a report (solely) because he/she might be accountable for its contents I would wonder how confident he/she is generally.

It's good that Medicert are getting positive reviews.

The form that the doctor completes does specifically say that they are not asking the GP to state whether they think the patient is fit to hold a shotgun certificate. They just want some medical facts, so it really shouldn’t be stressful for the GP.

I was talking to my daughter who is a pratice manager at another doctors surgery about what they look for and she suggested filling in a form to get a full copy of my medical history so I can pay attention to what I have had over the years and perhaps seek advice on an odd item..................such as taking anti depressants for a few weeks while going through a divorce, my friend did have that brought up by the feo which was 40 years ago !!!!!

Perhaps it's just me but I want to try to establish if there are any gremlins in the cupboard which may be a issue. 

Phil

My GP wont do the paperwork, so i had to go medicert 

My GP dragged there heels so it too near on 15 days to get the notes to medicert, and they turned it around in 5 days :)

only two things on there  my Stroke and busted neck   - both of which are classed as historic 

So all uploaded and online application done 

now I wait for an officer in uniform to visit :)  

I am just going through this process now with my first renewal, OMG what a stressful experience and its not over yet. 5 times, no word of a lie, 5 times I have had to take my Doctor's proforma back to have it filled in correctly and still I am waiting. The Sussex & Surrey renewal team have been really supportive, even sending me a simple list to give to the Doctor of what it is they want the Doctor to fill out, still they get it wrong. The Doctors have sent me a request for a new proforma as they one they have been chopping around with has no more room for the necessary amendments, supplied this last Wednesday..

This whole saga has stemmed from an administrative error on the NHS whereby they called in my medical records in 2015 as I had not been to the Quack for years, then realised their mistake (I was still alive) and sent them back, this is seen on the system as a re-register, therefore as far as the Doctors are concerned, they don't have continuous medical records and that is what they are writing on the form, I have been with the same surgery since 1993 but hopefully having gone in and spoken with the Practice manager, they now realise what has happened and hopefully when I finally get my letter back, it will contain the appropriate information. Two things really worry me, the Dr signing the document has never seen me in my life, and what is a simple task has become both unnecessarily stressful but will likely cost me more money as they are talking about send a covering letter to explain to the FA renewal team. £55 for the original proforma and probably another £55 for the letter....... not happy but I cant be seen to get annoyed otherwise they may hold that against me:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh I almost forgot, I will now have to put my gun into storage as the new renewal will not be ready in time because of this delay..

Last edited:
My doctor charged me £120 , on the plus side they completed the paperwork and I had it back in a couple of weeks. I applied for the renewal of both sgc and fac 20 weeks before expiry . I didn’t hear anything and emailed 3 weeks before they both expired ( first week in June ) to be told I have an extension until end of July . This was backed up with a letter stating the same and telling me not to purchase any new rifles or shotguns in the extension period or it might not show up on their records . What a carry on…

I am just going through this process now with my first renewal, OMG what a stressful experience and its not over yet. 5 times, no word of a lie, 5 times I have had to take my Doctor's proforma back to have it filled in correctly and still I am waiting. The Sussex & Surrey renewal team have been really supportive, even sending me a simple list to give to the Doctor of what it is they want the Doctor to fill out, still they get it wrong. The Doctors have sent me a request for a new proforma as they one they have been chopping around with has no more room for the necessary amendments, supplied this last Wednesday..

This whole saga has stemmed from an administrative error on the NHS whereby they called in my medical records in 2015 as I had not been to the Quack for years, then realised their mistake (I was still alive) and sent them back, this is seen on the system as a re-register, therefore as far as the Doctors are concerned, they don't have continuous medical records and that is what they are writing on the form, I have been with the same surgery since 1993 but hopefully having gone in and spoken with the Practice manager, they now realise what has happened and hopefully when I finally get my letter back, it will contain the appropriate information. Two things really worry me, the Dr signing the document has never seen me in my life, and what is a simple task has become both unnecessarily stressful but will likely cost me more money as they are talking about send a covering letter to explain to the FA renewal team. £55 for the original proforma and probably another £55 for the letter....... not happy but I cant be seen to get annoyed otherwise they may hold that against me:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh I almost forgot, I will now have to put my gun into storage as the new renewal will not be ready in time because of this delay..
The doctor signing it off doesn’t need to know you. They just look at your medical history.

My GP wont do the paperwork, so i had to go medicert

My GP dragged there heels so it too near on 15 days to get the notes to medicert, and they turned it around in 5 days :)

only two things on there my Stroke and busted neck - both of which are classed as historic

So all uploaded and online application done

now I wait for an officer in uniform to visit :)
You might not get a visit. I didn’t, just a phone call to ask if anything had changed since previous visit….

My doctor charged me £120 , on the plus side they completed the paperwork and I had it back in a couple of weeks. I applied for the renewal of both sgc and fac 20 weeks before expiry . I didn’t hear anything and emailed 3 weeks before they both expired ( first week in June ) to be told I have an extension until end of July . This was backed up with a letter stating the same and telling me not to purchase any new rifles or shotguns in the extension period or it might not show up on their records
I've just renewed my cert, my doctor charged £20 and considering it is half a dozen check boxes, this is enough.

I received a letter - 12 week backlog, will not have time to process my application before my ticket runs out-

But because i responded over 8 weeks before the ticket expired, they have given me a 12 week extension to my cert, they hope to process the application within that time ...

we shall see

Hi, when renewing a shotgun certificate how many passport size photos do you need to supply & do any of them need to be signed etc ? I have tried emailing/phoning my firearms department but it is easier to contact god 🙄
I just signed and sent all 4.
I think it's just the 2 they want but it will say on your renewal. Do not send the same you used in your previous app. (Like I did lol) they will send all of the paperwork back with a request for new pics and with the backlog they have it will delay everything.

Just had my renewal letter come so I took the form to my doctors they charged me £26.50 for the doctors to fill out and they will send back to firearms department just need to do the main bit online and HOPEFULLY I don’t have any problems

Just a question when you filled out your renewal form did you wait for your doctor response as to which doctor filled out the form to put in the application if that makes sense

Went back to the quack today to pick up my new proforma and decided to open it before taking it home, computer says no....... This has now gone beyond a lack of professional ability, but sits in the realms of totally incompetent. The first question on the proforma was not answered and I have had to give it back. The receptionist had to ask me how to fill it out properly....... I am now due to pick it up on Thursday and if it is not right this time, 5 times I have returned it, I will be submitting a written complaint to the NHS Onbudsman to review my case. Not a happy camper.........

Went back to the quack today to pick up my new proforma and decided to open it before taking it home, computer says no....... This has now gone beyond a lack of professional ability, but sits in the realms of totally incompetent. The first question on the proforma was not answered and I have had to give it back. The receptionist had to ask me how to fill it out properly....... I am now due to pick it up on Thursday and if it is not right this time, 5 times I have returned it, I will be submitting a written complaint to the NHS Onbudsman to review my case. Not a happy camper.........
It sounds like "Quack" is right. Good luck.

Just going through renewal now,for both me and my wife, doctors took nearly 4 weeks to complete the form and cost £32.00. All then completed online same day. Which was around a month ago and today had a text from licencing to say renewal and in the post. But my wife hasn't had a text so we will wait and see what turns up in the 2nd class post.
Andy

Had my visit last Friday, lots more questions and very thorough :)

Had a phone interview with my referee that afternoon .

She said mine was straightforward, and i should receive it before the extended expiry date !

Mine came through then post today. In a bid to say money it now a lot smaller in size.
My wife hasn't had any response to hers as yet, but still at least we have one and all guns are on that.

Andy

Back