Jack Pyke English Open - Jun 12th - 16th - Open Thread

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one of our squad straighted the driven, with 0's :( Mrs Fuz got away with a 1. I think, as they were going over the left shoulder instead of straight driven, quite a few struggled with line as well as leed. when they are that far up it doesn't take a lot to be off line!

one of our squad straighted the driven, with 0's :( Mrs Fuz got away with a 1. I think, as they were going over the left shoulder instead of straight driven, quite a few struggled with line as well as leed. when they are that far up it doesn't take a lot to be off line!
I think you've nailed it there Fuz - on arriving at the stand, we were instructed by our ref that we couldn't shoot them as crossers (i.e. as they passed and went behind us) and had to shoot them as driven. Not sure it would have made a difference to my result thought :D

I think you've nailed it there Fuz - on arriving at the stand, we were instructed by our ref that we couldn't shoot them as crossers (i.e. as they passed and went behind us) and had to shoot them as driven. Not sure it would have made a difference to my result thought :D
I dropped 5 too. And driven are my best usually. Btw I tried a pair as crossers and missed both! At least I was hitting 1 as driven. My mate told me how much leeed he saw to break them and I know I was behind them..

Get on over there :) must be a shortish trek for you from Cambs. I rekon if you take a slab of shells you might just about be able to shoot at one of every target they have on there :lol:
Cheeky boy! That's about what I aimed for last time I was there. Except the 40 yard tower. Reckon I've got that down now :) 

I dropped 5 too. And driven are my best usually. Btw I tried a pair as crossers and missed both! At least I was hitting 1 as driven. My mate told me how much leeed he saw to break them and I know I was behind them..
Yes Will, you're dead right - I was so far behind them, I doubt they were in the same postcode as my pattern :D

I was once taught how to shoot birds requiring between 12 and 15 feet of lead, at Fauxdegla (it's easy there, as they can set up any amount of lead you want against a big sky backdrop), and yet I failed to adjust to these driven birds at the Pyke and steadfastly didn't use the old, "if you miss, give it more lead" totem. In essence, I kept recreating the shot where I'd missed, telling myself, "they should be there", when, in reality, they were clearly nowhere near. Schoolboy error - if you're not hitting them, do something different - I didn't, and got the score I deserved on that stand.

I actually edited it as it read as if I was being patronising to your shooting ability :(  It was intended to signify how many different stands and birds they have on offer :D

Yes Will, you're dead right - I was so far behind them, I doubt they were in the same postcode as my pattern :D

I was once taught how to shoot birds requiring between 12 and 15 feet of lead, at Fauxdegla (it's easy there, as they can set up any amount of lead you want against a big sky backdrop), and yet I failed to adjust to these driven birds at the Pyke and steadfastly didn't use the old, "if you miss, give it more lead" totem. In essence, I kept recreating the shot where I'd missed, telling myself, "they should be there", when, in reality, they were clearly nowhere near. Schoolboy error - if you're not hitting them, do something different - I didn't, and got the score I deserved on that stand.
Yes, I suffered BADLY from not adjusting. Then cured it well for a while; now it's creeping back.. Grrr..

He was on my squad. Very humble guy and a pleasure to watch him shoot. Great hand/eye co-ordination...fast reaction shooter.
Wasn't a great day for me,finishing on 101....dropped 5 on the first 2 stands!! The odd one here and there...and then 5 on the driven! Shot the High Tower Challenge 36/50....now that was fun! Some HUGE targets!
Well shot Wayne nothing the matter with 101 mate...well done..:)

Well shot Wayne nothing the matter with 101 mate...well done.. :)
Thanks mate. Normally I'd agree,but it really wasn't that tough. Always slow to get going when there's no pool shoot to loosen up on. If you'd seen what I missed on the first 2 stands you'd slap me haha.

Thanks mate. Normally I'd agree,but it really wasn't that tough. Always slow to get going when there's no pool shoot to loosen up on. If you'd seen what I missed on the first 2 stands you'd slap me haha.
Big bloody slap !!!!!! Ha ha......your a honest guy so well done and theres always next year...I may give this ago next time seems a good one..catch up soon mate..

I actually edited it as it read as if I was being patronising to your shooting ability :(  It was intended to signify how many different stands and birds they have on offer :D
Haha! Anyone who shoots better than me can patronise me. As I'm unregistered and inexperienced that's probably everyone else here. I'm secure enough in my little victories to not be intimidated by a lack of ability right now. Next time I'm over there I'll ask Coach to benchmark some stuff for me so I can see just how hard it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! Anyone who shoots better than me can patronise me. As I'm unregistered and inexperienced that's probably everyone else here. I'm secure enough in my little victories to not be intimidated by a lack of ability right now. Next time I'm over there I'll ask Coach to benchmark some stuff for me so I can see just how hard it was.
Good for you :) give it hell when you get over there :D

1010738_600513296649523_2048978898_n.jpg

Back