Jack Pyke English Open - Jun 12th - 16th - Open Thread

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick look at the forecast, we should be good til about 1.30 still 20 odd mph wind though. looks like the pound seats are tomorrow early, no rain and wind dropping to 9 or 10 mph.

Just in from ST, top brekkie as usual and warm welcome :)  Bit gusty but had some intermittent sun so not too bad. Started good with a straight. Stand 2 I dropped my last battue (although the ref seems to have missed the little nugget I took off the front of the floaty low first bird, which prompted me to think "wonder if he saw that" and forget the battue was coming hence slashing wildly infront) hey ho thems the breaks. Stand 3 I dropped 1 going away bird, tricky to see I thought with the dark background rabbit then look up into the white cloud but thats just my eyes.

On to 4 and I dropped my second teal, pure laziness. then the wheels fell off a bit. Stand 5 I couldnt find the r-l dropper and a stupid miss on the frisbee made me 5 away here. Stand 6, the black second bird got hammered down on the first 2 pairs with gusts of wind up its arse, found the orange on the second pair then lost it again but found the last two blacks for another 5 away :(

A steady run round 7,8,9&10 only dropping 3 on these. I really enjoyed the 1/4ing chondel and r-l crosser on 10, straight here with the chondel needing a fair whack of leed.

On to the l-r curling away rabbit/ drivenish mini combo. Pair dead, miss rabbit in front, same again and pair dead for a 6. Stupid mistake missing the second rabbit but doing the same on the next pair was pure idiocy :(

I enjoyed stand 12, r-l rabbit and dropping/curling in orange from the left. I dropped the first pair, dropped the curler on the second then cleaned them up for a 5. Our squad seemed to struggle here, not because you couldn't see the orange curler, as the sun was out it showed up quite well today. Everyone was giving the curler a bag of leed in front but little underneath. When I found it it was only about a foot in front but about 5 feet under! just goes to show they dont have to be 60yrd pencils to make them tricky :)

I dropped 3 on the tower driven and a pair of straights finished me off really well.

Final total a 95 which I am more than chuffed with. If I hadn't screwed up 5&6 so badly the ton was there for the taking. Was Jnt 8th in B last time I looked so a decent result. I thought it was a bit tougher than last year but still fairly steady and enough there to keep Mrs Fuz happy (60 for her)

Summing up, great targets, nice people and we will be back next year. A fond goodbye for a while to the hedge-monkeys, I'm off to skeet again next week :D

Damn that 0.2 in the last classification, would be leading C now :lol:

Thinking more on it, it was quite a technical course. You couldn't just shoot it with one method. Swing through wouldn't have worked all the way round the same as maintained or pull away wouldn't.

For instance the rabbit on stand 3. No way you could swing through it, just not enough gap to shoot it that way before the cone. I found a hold 8-10ft before the cone and a maintained shot worked very well. The same with the orange curler on 12 It was doing too much to swing through, slowing its l-r path and dropping like a stone so again maintaining it worked well.

A thinking man's course that needed various methods to be successful I rekon :)  

I just got back from it too, after getting talked into entering it this morning :rolleyes:

My sporting shooting has been appalling recently, my confidence seems to have been rock-bottom. I've been avoiding ESP like the plague and shooting All Round, Skeet and anything else, anything to avoid it. Even been fishing :p

I thought it was a good course, great ground. Lots of close stuff that left the trap like a rocket and then slowed right down. Sometimes it was the wind, other times I think they were just set like that. Easy to over-lead a lot of that stuff.

I shot like a complete tit at the beginning, apart from straighting the first stand we shot. Then I got a bit of confidence back and shot the second half OK. Ended up on 100, which I was happy enough with after the way I've been shooting for the last month or six weeks.

Anni got a 97 which puts him quite high up in B Class, we'll have to see if it's high enough.

I might even venture back into ESP.... <_<

Great days shooting at sporting targets, plenty of variety if not alot needing any sort of leeeeeed in the first half. Shot most of it dropping 1 here and there however lack of centering/concentration cost me 8 between two stands!(no cartridge twiddling before i shot according to the mrs). One iffy nearly invisible orange crosser/dropper which caused more of an eyesight test than anything else. Finished on 102, cant help feeling should have been 110+ on a good day though.

One of the things I love about shooting is that you can go and shoot the same competition as those at the top of the sport. Looking at some of these scores I reckon I might have been not last :) Kudos to the triers for encouraging the rest of us. Now I want to drop in to Sporting Targets and try some of those stands :)

One of the things I love about shooting is that you can go and shoot the same competition as those at the top of the sport. Looking at some of these scores I reckon I might have been not last :) Kudos to the triers for encouraging the rest of us. Now I want to drop in to Sporting Targets and try some of those stands :)

Get on over there :) must be a shortish trek for you from Cambs. I rekon if you take a slab of shells you might just about be able to shoot at one of every target they have on there :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW 118ex120 in from today by an S Green, dropped 1 on stand 5 and another on stand 9. Unreal scoring even if the wind has dropped a bit :)

Sam Green? A former pupil of mine, obviously not listened to a word I said.

He was on my squad. Very humble guy and a pleasure to watch him shoot. Great hand/eye co-ordination...fast reaction shooter.

Wasn't a great day for me,finishing on 101....dropped 5 on the first 2 stands!! The odd one here and there...and then 5 on the driven! Shot the High Tower Challenge 36/50....now that was fun! Some HUGE targets!

Back