Jack Pyke English Open 2012 - Open Thread

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
I know quite a few of us will be shooting the Jack Pyke English Open @ Sporting Targets - starting an open thread to capture thoughts & views of what looks like it will be a fun shoot.

I'm there on Saturday with Fuz and his newly sculpted muscles.

Is this anything to do with Tony Fletcher leaving to work at EJ Churchill? Did he set courses at ST?

No, Andy has always done the shoots (usually very good) fletch was ground manager. Certainly seems to be shooting a bit soft. Could be a very short round for me! Hopefully not :)

Shot it today - badly, but that was just me. It was easy to see why the scores were high, nothing really needed much lead.

The high tower challenge was on at the same time so that eliminated most of the towers from the shoot!

In my opinion it wasn't one of Sporting Targets better shoots.

Also shot it today,thought a few of the stands a little lackluster ish.

But on the whole it was ok.

very easy to drop one here and there through complacency.

Nice to shoot the high tower at the end though.

good luck boys.................and girls

Hundred straight and the teas are on me. 98/99 you or Rach get the teas. More than 2 away- see you when I get back from Portugal mate! ;-)

90 in A class 90 in B class 81 in C class. looks a tough shoot!

chippy
I think the ground is probably trying to take account of what happened last year, bear in mind that last year the wind got up for what was a tougher course and ruined any chance for people shooting on the last two days. This year the forecast is for an Atlantic storm (high winds and rain) to roll in on Saturday and Sunday (the two busiest days of the competition).

The shoot is also more geared towards catering for everybody as it is an open shoot not a registered so it does tend to be a deal softer than the normal registered at STL. Still got to hit them all though and nobody has done that yet (quite).

I saw the young guy who shot the 90 in B when he finished his round (he is only 16 -17 and this is a pb by a street) - I should think he is still grinning ear to ear 2 days later!

I think the ground is probably trying to take account of what happened last year, bear in mind that last year the wind got up for what was a tougher course and ruined any chance for people shooting on the last two days. This year the forecast is for an Atlantic storm (high winds and rain) to roll in on Saturday and Sunday (the two busiest days of the competition).

The shoot is also more geared towards catering for everybody as it is an open shoot not a registered so it does tend to be a deal softer than the normal registered at STL. Still got to hit them all though and nobody has done that yet (quite).

I saw the young guy who shot the 90 in B when he finished his round (he is only 16 -17 and this is a pb by a street) - I should think he is still grinning ear to ear 2 days later!

Thanks for the weather report JT. dont tell me the wind and rain will be at its worst on sunday at 11.30.

chippy

Just got back, Enjoyable shoot even very wind affected. My first time at Sporting Targets and deffo won't be the last. Lovely clubhouse very well stocked shop, more varied targets than you could ever hope to shoot in a pay and play day. Shame its such a bummer to get to from me.

The course I thought was on the easier side, nothing particularly rangey and a lot of incoming point and shoot off the end of the barrels stuff. Wind made it a lot tougher especially the r-l quartering away chondel on stand 9, wind kept hitting it and really turning the afterburners on!

I shot a PB 80 which given the conditions I am happy with but still feel even with the wind I was 4 or 5 light. dropped a few silly ones. Really enjoyed the simo bunnies and the driven pair from the 120 ft tower (dropped the last bird of the day here by over leading it doh!) and the novelty rat/bunny rolling down a tunnel then out onto a steep bank that had to be shot before a cone placed just at the bottom was fun even though I over led the first and a strong gust of wind actually lifted both me and my barrels up for the 3rd.

Shame about the difference in weather conditions across the comp so far but lying 7th at time of writing I am quite pleased.

Not overly sure how I feel about the PB as it was on the soft side, but at the end of the day they still have to be shot. I am 12 behind Ed, 10 behind Chris Childerhouse, 8 behind Jez Towell and only 3 behind Chris Broomfield and in a normal reg shoot I'm usually 20-30 behind those guys so I'll take it as a victory

Just remembered, this has to be the first time I have ever been "aiming" behind a l-r crosser :.: stand 2 over the left shoulder away followed by a l-r crosser into the wind. First 2 pairs shot front edge of the crosser, last pair I was tracking the crosser and a big gust got up, I actually shot at the back edge and the wind blew it back into the shot :huh: :.:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back