Jack Pyke English Open - Jun 12th - 16th - Open Thread

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are on at 11.20 on Saturday :) Will give you some tips before you go out :lol:

I too done a late booking on this one.....Sunday 9:30....gonna hit the high tower challenge too :)

I think the live leaderboard is not working..

I shot it today with a great squad, Jem, Matt, Ronnie Green, Nicky T and GavB.

Very enjoyable. Heard it was easy last year? This was more of a normal registered standard I would say. I shot well in places but was a complete loser on two stands. Over lead an easy looper three times and managed to completely mis read the driven tower (normally my easy bird) dropping another 5. Dreadful. Finished on 97; disappointed not to have 102+.

Targets were good. Just one edge on orange which we all struggled to see. I didn't even shoot at one of them!

GD was joint leading on 113 when I left. I think there is a 115 out there. I reckon A will be 106/8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done will , how did young ronnie do ?? He made the final two at white gold Sussex I was really impressed with him

Well done will , how did young ronnie do ?? He made the final two at white gold Sussex I was really impressed with him
He done well Steve, 99/120, great composure and technique and not much fazed him, He was denied 1 by the ref and thinks he left another 7-10 out there but he's happy with what he did and im as proud as ever.. Im sure the rest will come in time for him, he's got that fire in his belly.......He wants to try the white gold again so we'll defo see you again soon. 

Cracking day out at Sporting Targets; got home at 9.15pm completely knackered! Great squad, good laugh throughout and a steady round that was made more testing by mother nature in places. The High Tower challenge was an excellent end to the day and we had a good laugh with Dave the scorer too to top the day off. Will definitely be on my "to-shoot" list for 2014 :)

I think the live leaderboard is not working..

I shot it today with a great squad, Jem, Matt, Ronnie Green, Nicky T and GavB.

Very enjoyable. Heard it was easy last year? This was more of a normal registered standard I would say. I shot well in places but was a complete loser on two stands. Over lead an easy looper three times and managed to completely mis read the driven tower (normally my easy bird) dropping another 5. Dreadful. Finished on 97; disappointed not to have 102+.

Targets were good. Just one edge on orange which we all struggled to see. I didn't even shoot at one of them!

GD was joint leading on 113 when I left. I think there is a 115 out there. I reckon A will be 106/8.
Well shot will,

Had a great day yesterday, Finally got the better of Sporting Targets and finished well with 110. was good to meet some of the shootclay crowd again Jem, Matt, Ronnie Green, Nicky T, GavB, CleverSC3 and the Growler (Good to see you up and about again) Very well shot Young Ronnie Top Bombing. Finished up with a crack at the Tower Challenge which was top fun, sorry I had to fly off at the end I was running rather late, 

I agree with Will if your on TOP form and the wind behave's itself a 115/116 is out there BUT the weather needs to be in your favour !

Good luck to everyone shooting it over the next few days

Had a great day, despite putting in a poor performance, really enjoyed it, great to see everyone, well shot to both Ronnie and Adam, I'll nail it next year, atb all, Growl

Was pretty tired yesterday - even managed a snooze in the car on the way home (thanks GavB for driving) - but what a GREAT day....

Started a few mins late on a breezy, blustery plantation at the top end of Sporting Targets - couple of heavily wind affected targets there with one that hung like a Frisbee on the beach for a while, and caught a few people out.  Then around the ground, some really good targets - quite a few this year that needed to be shot dropping as they dived to the ground.  A couple of rabbits with some serious spring on them, one coupled with an on report mini which was good fun, and another slower rabbit which was the second bird in an on report pair with an edge on dropper which was the only eyesight test on the course.

I only managed one straight all the way round which was a battue o/r right to left crosser -  disappointing not to clear out more stands - I suspect that the wind might have been an influence. The high tower had a couple of decent height driven on it - Jem making light work of those.

The ShootClay squad was awesome - Myself, Jem, NickyT, CleverSC3, GavB and the squad leader Ronnie Green, who took us all to school with a 99ex120 - pleasure to shoot with everyone, and a pleasure to watch a future star show us how it was done.

Also good to see Adam from Grange Farm, Growl and Lock Stock and Smoking Barrel on their way out in later squads.

Great work from Sporting Targets as well - ref John Hartog was good fun all the way round - and the ground looked in excellent fettle.

An album of photos (thanks Jem, and BerettaBoysDad) from yesterday is here :

Should have done better - same old story! Caught out out by some of the floating stalling stuff. They were all there to be had apart one one stand which has been mentioned which was an eyesight test not due to distance but difficulty to see against the background, so peed off at only hitting one of those missed two easy rabbits which went with it.
Our ref was excellent as well, kept the background noise down so could not even use that as excuse.
No complaints, a decent shoot with a skeet vest and cap thrown in!

Thoroughly enjoyable day. Good to meet up with everyone. Dropped a few hear and there which over the whole course was enough to ruin my card Then blanked the driven. Need to have another lesson on these targets.

As Previous and Facebook

Cracking day out 85/120 Main course. Lost of few and think I am way short of any C money but ever hopeful

Great squad and meeting others around the ground.

31/50 Tower challenge now this was a hoot. FITASC style Singles full use then doubles. £21 for 50 targets that all need work.

Enjoy the D bird.....oh and the E for that matter.

This was my first time at a 'big ticket' event like this. Went down on the Wednesday at midday, for my slot at 3.40pm, with the intention to enjoy the experience and to see how many I could get - would have been happy with a mid-60s and came away with an 81, so quite happy with that. Only two in my squad - me and Bob Meadows (a genuinely decent bloke and no mean shot he!) Managed to straight a couple of stands, but made an utter pig's ear of the driven birds off the tower, getting only one of them - and that just a chippy rear-ender. Forgot the stock mantra - more lead required!

My first time shooting at Sporting Targets, too, and can't speak highly enough of the ground, the staff, the organisation, the selection and variation of birds on the shoot, nice wee touches, too, like ice water butts ever few stands, the three-coach 'quad-train' to take you to the first stand out on Plantation. Our scorer/ref/guide for the day, Roger (Skeet Meister General), was a good fella and ensured we got round in good time. Angela at reception was attentive professionalism incarnate, and Steve and Ian in the shop sorted you out in double-quick time with your Jack Pyke goody-bag (shooting vest, cap, ear plugs, pens, stress ball etc).

I have to say, for the entrance fee of £48, 120 birds, the goody bag and complimentary tea and quality coffee, this is definitely a value-for-money event, and one which I'll surely do again next year. Can't fault it.

Great to meet up with Nicky T, Matt, young Ronnie and his dad and the others and hope to see them and others again soon on the circuit.

Instead of schlepping my way back to Manchester after the shoot, and as I was down this neck of the woods anyway, staying with a cousin in Medbourne, near Market Harborough, for the night, it would have been remiss of me not to visit another of the shooting grounds in the southlands, so I popped over to Kibworth the next day, Thursday, to sample its pleasures. Again, very pleasantly impressed with its amenities (shot 100 ESP, batting a 69, a line of DTL and 25 Compak) and managed to bump into Ben Husthwaite, who was taking a student for a Compak lesson. I'll definitely be coming back to Kibworth, and thanks to Sam & Matt for buttoning and scoring for me.

Yesterday, Friday, saw me having a half-day lesson with Brian Clegg (always money well spent), where we did the best part of a slab as we worked in three or four areas of my shooting which need work.

Today I'm shooting the Crabtree charity re-entry shoot and tomorrow the reg comp at Oakedge, so it's been, if you'll pardon the pun, a case of lock, stock and smoking barrels for the past 5 days. :)

Good review Bren, I'm shooting it this morning and the sun is out here in Wantage and the wind has dropped (for how long is anyone's guess). Have to say ST is one of my favourite sporting grounds, its just a shame its 80 odd miles away :(  looks from the scores I need at least 102 in B class now, this going up a class lark is hard work, especially when everything over 22yrds looks miles away these days to a skeeter :lol:

You are quite correct about Bob, a nicer bloke you couldnt wish to meet :)

Shoot well for the rest of the weekend :)

Cheers Fuz - hope the weather holds for you today mate, and you don't suffer the wind we had to contend with on Wednesday. Sure you'll bat 102+ :)

Back