Issue No.48 Any news?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Averages are exactly what it says, averages. A shooters scores can vary massively during an issue period, both way above and below the class 'average' (just look at mine!!) so it makes perfect sense that a class will be won by an above average score as 'every dog will have his day'. I never enter a competition thinking if I post an 81 I will win D class. Sometimes it does happen but very rarely. The winning of D class with an 81 I mean, not me shooting an 81!! Although come to think of it.......? :unsure:

Averages just need to be updated 3 monthly.

Managed to stay in D class for UT and OT but only because the cut offs went up :) Loads more sandbagging for the next 6 months. If everything goes well (or badly depending on you view point) I shall probably be in B for both next time around :(

DT

John

Yes that is true as well

Sian

lets take a DTL comp of lets say 80 entries, instead of paying to fourth place in each class why not pay sctratch to twelve places, the best shooters on the day win !!
​I can understand this concept Ips but I really think it probably depends on the discipline.  Please everybody lets not start the mine is better than yours let me explain what I am trying to say and I am a DTL Lover remember.   DTL not many participants but many of them at a similar level and therefore on the day depending on their mindset any one of them could do extremely well.  Sporting on the other hand regularly get 180 to 250 going through the popular shoots on a Sunday and a much more varied ability range attending and participating and regardless of your mindset you are not going to stand as good a chance of a win.    I hope that makes sense.

Well, as of June 1st, I am officially certified as rubbish; rather than just thinking I am!

It certainly gives something to aim for. Hopefully I can get out and shoot something registered in the near future in an effort to get the average up a bit.

Averages are exactly what it says, averages. A shooters scores can vary massively during an issue period, both way above and below the class 'average' (just look at mine!!) so it makes perfect sense that a class will be won by an above average score as 'every dog will have his day'. I never enter a competition thinking if I post an 81 I will win D class. Sometimes it does happen but very rarely. The winning of D class with an 81 I mean, not me shooting an 81!! Although come to think of it.......? :unsure:

Averages just need to be updated 3 monthly.

Managed to stay in D class for UT and OT but only because the cut offs went up :) Loads more sandbagging for the next 6 months. If everything goes well (or badly depending on you view point) I shall probably be in B for both next time around :(

DT
​I really fail to see why there is this 6 monthly business with classifications.

Do it on every score/comp!

I am late to things but I've heard rumours that the CPSA paid a small fortune for the software it uses and I am really stumped to work out why. With today's technology waiting a week or 10 days for scores to appear and having updates of classifications on a biannual basis is pretty archaic.

The classification system may need a bit of work imho ( here we go again ) but the technology to support any system should be capable of far, far more than it is currently achieving. ( I seem to remember saying much the same a year ago ) There are less than 7 000 active Sporting competition shooters as far as I can see, chickenfeed as far as number crunching is concerned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a new member to the CPSA, with just two ESP competitions behind me, the whole thing is extraordinarily difficult to unravel.

As I understand it I'll be issued with a temporary classification after 300 birds, then I'll have to wait five and a half months before I actually get a proper classification.

When I get that classification I have no idea what it actually means for me other than that a classification that's too low for my average scores means I will have an unfair chance of winning class prizes.

I really genuinely don't understand the system at all. 

Our local club at Pilford calculates classifications on the basis of a shooter's last three scores, on a rolling calculation. I'm fairly confident that someone there doesn't sit around counting things on their fingers and doing the arithmetic for each shooter. Surely the CPSA must have a computer and a spreadsheet?

The current CPSA system classifies you in some cases by looking (at least in part) at what your scores were almost a year ago.

Doesn't sound right to me.

As a new member to the CPSA, with just two ESP competitions behind me, the whole thing is extraordinarily difficult to unravel.

As I understand it I'll be issued with a temporary classification after 300 birds, then I'll have to wait five and a half months before I actually get a proper classification.

When I get that classification I have no idea what it actually means for me other than that a classification that's too low for my average scores means I will have an unfair chance of winning class prizes.

Our local club at Pilford calculates classifications on the basis of a shooter's last three scores, on a rolling calculation. I'm fairly confident that someone there doesn't sit around counting things on their fingers and doing the arithmetic for each shooter. Surely the CPSA must have a computer and a spreadsheet?

The current CPSA system classifies you in some cases by looking (at least in part) at what your scores were almost a year ago.

​yes the lovely lady in the caravan does that extremely technical thing and adds your latest months scores to the previous two while you are standing there.

you then find the few sherberts you had the night before have sent you down into A  :rolleyes:

maybe we can exchange her for the CPSA software..far easier to interact with too!!

I shot one ESP last year and scored 70 which was probably more to do with a soft shoot at BSG than my skill. That then put me in B class and I have stayed there in the next two classification periods as only shot once more. It does seem strange they only get reviewed every 6 months and that you get put in a class after just 1 comp.

I shot one ESP last year and scored 70 which was probably more to do with a soft shoot at BSG than my skill. That then put me in B class and I have stayed there in the next two classification periods as only shot once more. It does seem strange they only get reviewed every 6 months and that you get put in a class after just 1 comp.
​afaiui you only get a temporary classification after 300 targets shot. 

What happens in the meantime? Shoot B/O just to rack up the ranking?

I know most people here are way beyond their first 300 but it's one of the things I found 'challenging' when I first got into registered shoots. Making this sort of thing clear to newbies might make them more amenable to joining registered shoots. 

Tbh I still don't know what "temporary classification" means. After 1 shoot the CPSA site was showing me as B and that's the class I have been entered into and listed under in the scores for my 2nd and 3rd shoots. So what is temporary about it as seems pretty well set to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon, you got classified because it was the time (June 1st and dec 1st each year) to classify everybody. But if somebody wants to get classified well before the regular dates, they can ask for a temporary classification  

Have always found the CPSA web pages regarding classifications informative most if not all of the questions / queries raised on this thread are covered / detailed in full there.

A 6 month review based on 12 months of scores appears not to work very well.

In 16 months of shooting I have gone from hitting mid 40's to upper 70's and low 80's with a current 74 average. And I'm still in C class.

A bit of tuition and I'll be sandbagging for a while!   :)

Back