Oxford Gun Company Issue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I wrote the original post I was being told the storage cost was £660. Hence I wanted to understand if this was usual. I hadn’t been charged storage in the past as a member. The commission level is slightly greater than we agreed. However, it is what is it. Lessons learnt I guess.

Last edited:
We might need the OP to clarify but as I read it, the gun was in storage (not for sale) for a year and then a second request for it to be sold (via commission) made. That's two separate transactions and (as I understand it) once the decision to sell was made, no further storage was charged; the revised £330 was for the period the gun was stored and not on sale.

I don't think the shop can be criticised for wanting both the storage and commission albeit I totally agree that the end result makes it seem like a lot of money. It's a case where clarity over charges at the start is all important particularly if the gun's value makes the percentage commission high.

Going back to the OP's recent post given it seems his concern was the storage charges, £5 per gun per week is not unreasonable for storage, but double that would have been and JB above is right, had the £660 included any of the "sale time", it would have been cheeky.

Sorry but this just doesn’t sit well with me. If a dealer takes a gun to sell on commission surely charging storage as well is just not on.
On that basis they will make money even if they fail to sell the thing.
I’ve sold guns on commission, admittedly a long time ago, but I seem to remember that I paid 15% commission.
I definitely did not pay storage and would have paid nothing at all if they didn’t sell the gun.

Sorry but this just doesn’t sit well with me. If a dealer takes a gun to sell on commission surely charging storage as well is just not on.
I’ve sold guns on commission, admittedly a long time ago, but I seem to remember that I paid 15% commission.
I definitely did not pay storage and would have paid nothing at all if they didn’t sell the gun.
Agreed but that’s not what’s happened here

I would like to think if I had made good money for storage and then sold the gun later for a percentage that I would have made a good overall deal for the gun owner that reflected the spirit of the thing, rather than “letter of the law”. I’ve certainly done similar common-sense deals in my business, always with an eye to my reputation and the future goodwill from the client.

It appears to me that the OP had the gun in storage with OGC at a cost of just over £6 a week plus VAT. Gun was in storage for a year. OP then instructs OGC to sell the gun. It appears that the gun was sold for £1,200 and the OP was charged £300 commission on the sale. As the gun had been in store for a year it is also clear in my mind that the storage fee was still payable. I don’t have access to the paperwork on this transaction but can’t see from what has been posted that OGC have acted wrongly. If you want a service you pay for it.

I will continue to shoot at and purchase from OGC.

I have e mailed David and Nicky at OGC to see if they want to comment on this thread.

I’ve sold guns on commission, admittedly I paid 15% commission.
I definitely did not pay storage and would have paid nothing at all if they didn’t sell the
I would like to think if I had made good money for storage and then sold the gun later for a percentage that I would have made a good overall deal for the gun owner that reflected the spirit of the thing, rather than “letter of the law”. I’ve certainly done similar common-sense deals in my business, always with an eye to my reputation and the future goodwill from the client.
Spot on Will 👌

I agree that in commercial transactions a pragmatic approach is often the most successful way to resolve a dispute or even generally conduct business - future orders & reputations within what might be a small business sector makes that very worthwhile.

With individuals however they rarely come back for more and if they do expect the same deal again - if not better. It's not necessarily applying the letter of the law but what was agreed between the parties at the outset. Of course this may be wrong - and apologies if it is a causes any offence to the OP - but if the OP put the gun into storage because his license expired and then sold it for the same reason there little or no future goodwill for OGC to take into account.

A question - You buy 500 cartridges at the '500' rate and then a week later return to buy another 500 - do you get the 1,000 rate for all of them or pay the 500 rate again.

I agree that in commercial transactions a pragmatic approach is often the most successful way to resolve a dispute or even generally conduct business - future orders & reputations within what might be a small business sector makes that very worthwhile.

With individuals however they rarely come back for more and if they do expect the same deal again - if not better. It's not necessarily applying the letter of the law but what was agreed between the parties at the outset. Of course this may be wrong - and apologies if it is a causes any offence to the OP - but if the OP put the gun into storage because his license expired and then sold it for the same reason there little or no future goodwill for OGC to take into account.

A question - You buy 500 cartridges at the '500' rate and then a week later return to buy another 500 - do you get the 1,000 rate for all of them or pay the 500 rate again.
Good point 👍
The person should of asked what fees were being charged, that would of made things clear/simple

Latest posts

Back