Issue No.48 Any news?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still in A which i suspected but seems i rarely shoot more then 300 shells a month i will take it on the chin  :ahappy:

What you shot after April 30th is nothing to do with the new classification, as you say. It will count towards your next classification in December, yes.

You must have shot STR at some point in the past, years ago? Or you would not be listed at all, never mind C. 

When I look at classifications, I see you as 79.3 (weirdly, it's slightly different in averages and scores.. Looks like that includes one more score or something) Your issue 49 average is 81.2, which is towards your December classification.
Ok. 

I've never shot STR before the owls lodge one this month and only been a member of the CPSA since August / September time last year.

Not been shooting clay for 12 months yet?

I'm shooting the STR at the Classic, do you think I will be in C Class there or unclassified? As it clearly says C Class?

its because classes are bolix and mean nothing in the real world

ps

darkside

no not being funny so no but.
​Agree with that Ian. All shooting should be scratch only. I was in a comp last weekend where there were several prize winners based purely on the fact that they are poor shooters...  but their scores were good enough to win a category! The ultimate gripe of course is the new shooter in the Vet category. How is a newcomer in Vet supposed to compete against shooters who, in many cases, have done it all? Of course this moan is based on FITASC categories. I think I would rather compete where you win prizes based on merit not on being a crap shot but getting a leg up on a handicap system. It must be.. no it is galling to score say 90 and get nowt whereas a score of 85 or even less wins a prize. Having said all of that if the prize money for a particular category is made up from money paid by only those in that category then perhaps it would not be so bad ie. you win C class but can only win prize money paid buy those in the C class.

Last edited by a moderator:
As C class shooters are generally the biggest class at most shoots they'd get the biggest prize.  Not sure that works.

Apparently kriegof B class was won with a 598x600 I rest my case.

​Agree with that Ian. All shooting should be scratch only. I was in a comp last weekend where there were several prize winners based purely on the fact that they are poor shooters...  but their scores were good enough to win a category! The ultimate gripe of course is the new shooter in the Vet category. How is a newcomer in Vet supposed to compete against shooters who, in many cases, have done it all? Of course this moan is based on FITASC categories. I think I would rather compete where you win prizes based on merit not on being a crap shot but getting a leg up on a handicap system. It must be.. no it is galling to score say 90 and get nowt whereas a score of 85 or even less wins a prize. Having said all of that if the prize money for a particular category is made up from money paid by only those in that category then perhaps it would not be so bad ie. you win C class but can only win prize money paid buy those in the C class.
​Isn't that how it works anyway - you pay into your class for a chance at a class win.   You talk about crap scores winning but if you just think about shooting in class then the scores generally reflect that class (there are always exceptions of course).  High gun is just that the overall winner of the shoot, the person who has scored the best wins but the class categories are like mini competitions within the competition or is it just me that thinks that way?  Merit again should be judged within your class and then overall in the competition surely?  So for example say C class is won say on 69/100 and A on 85/100 are you saying that because 69 is not all that brilliant there should not be a celebration within that class of the win?  

Sian

from my experience classes are rarely won by class scores. If you are a bonafide B class shooter who shoots consistent B class scores you will NEVER win anything. Only inconsistent shooters will win class.

Apparently kriegof B class was won with a 598x600 I rest my case.
​That is in fact the exact opposite of what I was highlighting but point taken... so if the comp is a prize for cat and scratch its a double whammy! But the point I was making was that you can win something with a much inferior score to someone who has won squat because they are in a higher cat or because of age Vet  cat

​Isn't that how it works anyway - you pay into your class for a chance at a class win.   You talk about crap scores winning but if you just think about shooting in class then the scores generally reflect that class (there are always exceptions of course).  High gun is just that the overall winner of the shoot, the person who has scored the best wins but the class categories are like mini competitions within the competition or is it just me that thinks that way?  Merit again should be judged within your class and then overall in the competition surely?  So for example say C class is won say on 69/100 and A on 85/100 are you saying that because 69 is not all that brilliant there should not be a celebration within that class of the win?  
​While I see where you are coming from that only works to an extent. for a new shooter in Vet category there is no distinction you are in effect shooting scratch because , down here at least 90% of comps are won by a vet. So while there is a distinction for new shooters in the UK if you are  a new shooter in vet you are stuffed. 

Sian

from my experience classes are rarely won by class scores. If you are a bonafide B class shooter who shoots consistent B class scores you will NEVER win anything. Only inconsistent shooters will win class.
​Yes I know it is usually always someone who has gone beyond what it deemed the average scores for the class that  wins the class but then I suppose it is their time to win before they get knocked down again in the next class up.  I wonder though if you had every competition including registered shoots as just maybe first, second and third overall winning the pot would become very small very quickly.  I am thinking that psychologically if you think you may do okay in your class rather than overall you are more likely to pay into the pot.  

​While I see where you are coming from that only works to an extent. for a new shooter in Vet category there is no distinction you are in effect shooting scratch because , down here at least 90% of comps are won by a vet. So while there is a distinction for new shooters in the UK if you are  a new shooter in vet you are stuffed. 
​You can really say that about any of the categories such as Ladies.   I can shoot in ladies for example against the lovely Cheryl Hall and never ever in a million years even if I tie one of her hands behind her back and poke her in the left eye win.  Not that I would do that because she is lovely.  Because in those types of categories you of course get different levels of ability that vary more widely than a class.

John

Yes that is true as well

Sian

lets take a DTL comp of lets say 80 entries, instead of paying to fourth place in each class why not pay sctratch to twelve places, the best shooters on the day win !!

Sian I am in a slightly different place in that I an only enter a comp based on my age which puts me into Vet... which puts me into Scratch, so because of that I would rather the prize fund was based on the principal proposed by Ian. I think it may be different in the UK so it is my fault for being in France :) But the benefits are being able shooting the sunshine for 95% of the year and shoot trap for a ridiculously cheap cost as compared to the UK.

Could a system whereby people shoot off scratch but which costs AA shooters £x amount more to enter work ? This way bigger prizes could be paid out down to say 8th, the lower classes still have the opportunity to shoot the same course beside the best in the world, they won't be subsidising the prize monies for the big boys and have a reason to improve. 

We hear so many say they don't shoot for the prize money so why not ? 

Ok. 

I've never shot STR before the owls lodge one this month and only been a member of the CPSA since August / September time last year.

Not been shooting clay for 12 months yet?

I'm shooting the STR at the Classic, do you think I will be in C Class there or unclassified? As it clearly says C Class?
Dean, this is weird. Your CPSA number suggests you joined CPSA in roughly 2007/8. It's just possible that another Dean Gibbs had left CPSA, then when you joined, they assumed you were rejoining???

Could a system whereby people shoot off scratch but which costs AA shooters £x amount more to enter work ? This way bigger prizes could be paid out down to say 8th, the lower classes still have the opportunity to shoot the same course beside the best in the world, they won't be subsidising the prize monies for the big boys and have a reason to improve. 

We hear so many say they don't shoot for the prize money so why not ? 
​Hammy

So a kind of AA super league holding there own comp alongside the also rans ?

I like the idea.

Dean, this is weird. Your CPSA number suggests you joined CPSA in roughly 2007/8. It's just possible that another Dean Gibbs had left CPSA, then when you joined, they assumed you were rejoining???
I was a member in 2007 as I joined after shooting in the Mitsubishi World Series Final but never ended up shooting clays again until last year.

Maybe I will phone them and see what's what.

I was a member in 2007 as I joined after shooting in the Mitsubishi World Series Final but never ended up shooting clays again until last year.

Maybe I will phone them and see what's what.
So that's nearly mystery solved. you just need to find out why you have a classification in STR if you have never shot it.

​Hammy

So a kind of AA super league holding there own comp alongside the also rans ?

I like the idea.
​Well not a separate comp obviously but a system that rewards and promotes excellence by having cheaper entries and the possibility of higher returns once you're actually good enough. I honestly can't think of any other sports that have near equal payouts for near beginners and mid fielders as well as the greats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the classes but get rid of prize money apart from those at the top (maybe back to third or fourth place depending on prize fund) of their categories.  You can still compete and win in your class, you just don't get a prize for it.  That way there is still something to strive for for those of us that are never going to beat Cheryl Hall or George Digweed.

Back