Oxford Gun Company Issue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m wondering if there’s anyone on this forum that’s ever had any issues with the Oxford Gun Company? They have been selling a shotgun on my behalf. They have now sold it, however they have decided to keep the majority of the proceeds. If you’ve had similar issues, would you mind reaching out via direct message?

For a bit of a yard stick, I sold a gun last year with a local gunshop to me and the arrangement was 15% commission plus vat on the commission. They photographed it put it on their website and handled everything, just rung me to go collect the cash when it sold.

How much did they sell it for and how much did you get?
I know the shop well as I.go there most Saturdays clay shooting but would never deal in guns

I’m wondering if there’s anyone on this forum that’s ever had any issues with the Oxford Gun Company? They have been selling a shotgun on my behalf. They have now sold it, however they have decided to keep the majority of the proceeds. If you’ve had similar issues, would you mind reaching out via direct message?
Any update on this issue?
It would be good for other people to understand.

If it started with an open post it would be helpful for the OP to comment a little further or at least close the issue.

Personally I have not dealt with the Oxford Gun Company and as such feel this thread needs a little more factual support as opposed to being left hanging after what might be seen as a bit of "seagull" criticism..

It could have been a S/S up for £50 and they kept £30 for all the info given.
'They have decided' seems a strange term & condition

Leigh

PS Never been to Oxford Gun Co

If it started with an open post it would be helpful for the OP to comment a little further or at least close the issue.

Personally I have not dealt with the Oxford Gun Company and as such feel this thread needs a little more factual support as opposed to being left hanging after what might be seen as a bit of "seagull" criticism..
I couldn’t agree more, the inference from the OP is that he’s been ripped off by The Oxford Gun Company, some clarification would be helpful, otherwise it would seem to me that the OP has pulled the pin and thrown a grenade into the Oxford Gun Company bunker and walked away…….this post is misleading without any factual content. I have to admit I have met all members of The Florent family, and from a personal point of view, always found them to be approachable , honourable and straightforward enthusiastic shooting ground and Gunshop owners, I have never left a gun with them to sell on a commission basis tho.

While I don't know anyone involved, the optics for OP aren't great. Usually the terms of a commission sale are made quite clear (and are likely documented in some form). I suppose we should just guess whether there is a breach of terms on one end, or a misunderstanding of terms on the other. Now if I were a betting man...

I don’t live locally to OGC so am an infrequent visitor. I have bought a gun from OGC, I have sold a gun to OGC. I have shot at OGC. I have bought shooting clothing from OGC all over a 20 year period. On each occasion all the staff including all the Florent family have been super helpful, super knowledgeable, super genuine, honest and very easy to buy and sell through-I have never had an issue.
I do remember a sign above the till stating “we only serve nice people” or something similar. I hope that is still there!

Apologies for the delay in responding. I was waiting for OGC to get back to me before responding.

They sold the gun for £1200. They are saying they’ll give me £570. The amount is broken down as £300 commission and £330 for one years storage. I haven’t received the money at this point though.

I’m trying to understand if this is a fair amount of commission and storage? It’s not what we agreed in regarding to the amount I’d receive, however, the conversation was verbal so I have no proof. I’m somewhat disappointed as I’ve bought a few guns from them and was a member until recently.

Last edited:
Never been charged storage while a gun was on the shelf for sale. The commission should cover the sales process ; advertising and placement on the shelf etc. In fact I would walk away if what you have said was ever the case.
However if it had been in storage and then it was decided to sell, that would be a different thing, I guess.

It had been in storage for 1 year prior to being put up for sale. I was initially charged £660 for storage. However, I was told this was a mistake when I complained and the cost reduced to £330.

I know this ground and the Florent family, shoot there quite a bit. Have bought plenty of stuff from their shop but never a gun.

I gave them my 682 Gold E for them to sell on commission a year or so ago. OGC guaranteed me a set sum when they had sold out and put that to me in writing. They had the gun 2 months but it didn’t sell so I took the gun back and used it for a PX on a section 1 gun that OGC didn’t stock. I was not charged any storage fee etc. the OP has stated that the gun ‘had been in storage for one year prior to being put up for sale’ so a storage charge of £330 seems about right (just under £30 a month). 25% commission on the sale seems about right to me.

I can understand your anger OP but in reality it’s two separate transactions . Gun storage around here is around £5 a week depending on the provider so the £330 is top end but presumably you knew the rate before asking them to store it ? I agree that £660 is having a laugh . The commission at 25% well that’s what their terms are . Surely you knew that ? If you’d put it in storage for a year , then taken it back , paid , and then sold it on GunTrader or worse put it in auction you’d have had to sell at £250 to £300 below shop price ( and at auction pay a sellers commission) to get someone interested , so in all probability you’d have ended up with the same nett sum give or take .

Latest posts

Back