Have county shoots had their day

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you shot 100 straight at the watered down targets did you please let us know

DEERSHOOTER
Sorry but whoever read my post to you must have gotten a bit creative in an attempt to excite you because at no point did I say or even imply I straighted the layout. However as a C class shooter finishing on an 82 that was way, way above my usual competition scores, I have to say I found the shoot to be soft feeling that I didn't really have to work for the targets so in turn thought it a bit boring. That teamed with a disorganised presentation I have to wonder if it was worth the 4hr round trip. I mistakingly thought you were looking for opinions as to 'have county shoots had their day' as per the topic title. Well if my experience is typical then I can understand why numbers may be dwindling.

So you shot 100 straight at the watered down targets did you please let us know

DEERSHOOTER
All shoots have card filling stands.

Shoots have to motivate the shooter to shoot well and make you want to come back.

Boring shoots are cutting their own throats.

I would rather shoot 50 ex 100 hard targets than a 100 easy ones.

You might as well just shoot at a box of clays in the back garden and save the money.

Shoots need to realise that some make a big effort to travel,shoot,fuel, time, etc.

They should respect that effort and at least put on a decent shoot.

So that people leave satisfied.

I go to regular 100 sporting shoots with 200+ entrants.

There was an I/C shoot at B.H. last Sunday which seemed to be well attended, I went but had to abandon it as I ran out of time - the waiting seemed to get longer in the afternoon than the morning.
We start shooting at 9am prompt with last entries at 2pm....... with nearly 300 shooters competing there will be a few queues, the event finished with all the prize giving just about 5pm......

Next weekend is the National I/C and will be shot over 13 stands......... See you there !!

All shoots have card filling stands.

Shoots have to motivate the shooter to shoot well and make you want to come back.

Boring shoots are cutting their own throats.

I would rather shoot 50 ex 100 hard targets than a 100 easy ones.

You might as well just shoot at a box of clays in the back garden and save the money.

Shoots need to realise that some make a big effort to travel,shoot,fuel, time, etc.

They should respect that effort and at least put on a decent shoot.

So that people leave satisfied.

I go to regular 100 sporting shoots with 200+ entrants.
+1. Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Where's your ground Phil?

Sounds good. Well attended.
Hi Rosso,

Its Barrow Heath, Risby, Suffolk IP28 6RE.

its less than 1 hour from the M25/M11 junction, we are a few hundred yards off Jct 41 off the A14 between Newmarket & Bury St Edmunds.........  www.barrowheath.com

regards

Phil

Jan what a load of bollocks no event is a quality event with less than 10 shooters it's like a few mates shooting practice .You are too young to remember when county shoots had 25 squads in DTL run by Roger Groves at Nottingham and were finished by 2:30 in the afternoon mind you the first squad was out at 8:30

Lincolnshire single barrel would have 80 shooters but now what is there to shoot for if you are A,B,or C class not even a badge if it's a championship it needs prizes in all classes by adding 3 other counties that just robs each class of prize money .

Who wants to shoot for nothing

Deershooter
You are contradicting yourself, putting counties together means more entries and therefore more prize money. There were 47 that shot the Single Barrel this year and there were some cracking scores including a 100 straight. Sounds like a decent event to me.

And for the record we still start shooting at 8.30, sometimes even earlier to fit everyone in. Why not actually come and shoot one of these events before criticising them?

You are contradicting yourself, putting counties together means more entries and therefore more prize money. There were 47 that shot the Single Barrel this year and there were some cracking scores including a 100 straight. Sounds like a decent event to me.

And for the record we still start shooting at 8.30, sometimes even earlier to fit everyone in. Why not actually come and shoot one of these events before criticising them?
I was shooting these shoots probably when you were still at school !but there is nothing to shoot for this years all round never even had a class prize nor did the double rise they are not championships it's no different to a club shoot ,bang it together with three other counties just to improve the entery which makes it harder to win a cash prize

So you can win the Lincolnshire single barrel in A class what do you get nothing because a notts shooter took the money lincs don't have class prizes £35 spent and achieved bugger all might as well gone to a club shoot and saved the fuel

Why this obsession with cash prizes? County shoots are for the pride of winning on a county level and maybe picking up a county trophy, irrespective of what class. Inter-county comps are for the pride of representing (and hopefully winning) for your county. Personally I would be honoured to shoot for Staffordshire, unfortunately I am not that good so the thought is somewhat academic.

DT

I was shooting these shoots probably when you were still at school !but there is nothing to shoot for this years all round never even had a class prize nor did the double rise they are not championships it's no different to a club shoot ,bang it together with three other counties just to improve the entery which makes it harder to win a cash prize
Nothing easy is worth winning.

So you can win the Lincolnshire single barrel in A class what do you get nothing because a notts shooter took the money lincs don't have class prizes £35 spent and achieved bugger all might as well gone to a club shoot and saved the fuel
If this is the view of the majority of shooters then it explains why the numbers are declining.  Personally I disagree with the sentiments and am against shooting for money as this is what comes of it in an amateur environment.

I would rather shoot for honours and if anyone wants to shoot for money then that can easily be done as well.  Make the competition what is known as "Birds Only" and then let those who want to play for money do so on the side as an extra.

The sport needs to found itself on shooters not on those whose main interest is winning money.  

The sport and winning has to come first with money being entirely secondary.

Its just my view but the sport should not be tarnished by money!

If this is the view of the majority of shooters then it explains why the numbers are declining.  Personally I disagree with the sentiments and am against shooting for money as this is what comes of it in an amateur environment.

I would rather shoot for honours and if anyone wants to shoot for money then that can easily be done as well.  Make the competition what is known as "Birds Only" and then let those who want to play for money do so on the side as an extra.

The sport needs to found itself on shooters not on those whose main interest is winning money.  

The sport and winning has to come first with money being entirely secondary.

Its just my view but the sport should not be tarnished by money!
 +1

Couldn't agree more. Show me a plastic pot or a shield to win and it means something to me. Show me money and my interest wanes rapidly.

I have every single trophy I have ever won since I started on clays in the late 70's (and there have been a few believe it or not).

Any cash I've won has generally been squandered on trivia or returned to the organisers for whatever charity they were supporting on the day.

Maybe I'm just weird as I probably need money more than most on here, it's just that I'm choosy how I earn it.  :biggrin:

Oh now come on Mike.......you need money more than most??? Most of us down this way already know that you own half of Devon! Its about time you got shot of that Bentley of yours too, it must be almost 18 months old by now!

Oh now come on Mike.......you need money more than most??? Most of us down this way already know that you own half of Devon! Its about time you got shot of that Bentley of yours too, it must be almost 18 months old by now!
It's not for me Les. It's the staff. Greedy lot they are!

Can't justify chopping in the Bentley just yet as I don't smoke and the ash trays are nowhere near full!

Because on most there is not a plastic trophy or a badge/ medal in the past I have had some nice cut crystal glass but this now seems to be just the skeet and DTL

They need to get some sponsorship

Deershooter

019a155f09c06f891c9e469f7f2d947b.jpg

Like this you mean hahahahahahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back