What chokes to make up a all round set

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy_B

im getting my gun multichoked this week by Teague and im just wondering what chokes should i get to make a set there is 10 to choose from which seems excessive

Cylinder

Skeet

1/4 Imp Cyl

3/8 Light Mod

1/2 Mod

5/8 Light Imp Mod

3/4 Imp Mod

7/8 Light Full

Full

Extra full

are the choices . i mainly shoot trap so 3/4 and full is a definite . but what would i need for sporting and skeet ?

How many in the set ? Apart from your own choice of 3/4 and Full mine would include 1/2 and 5/8 for ESP with 1/4 & 3/8 for Skeet. 

I bought 7  chokes , 1/4 through to full , for no other reason than 2 in the gun and 5 in the case ...🤡 shiny thing addiction or what ?  .  I leave 3/8 and 5/8 in for sporting . I’ve got a few days pheasant shooting at the end of the year and will probably swop to 5/8 and 7/8 .  So to be honest I’ve got 4 that in real life will never get a lot of use . Think long and hard what you need v what you want !  

TEN to choose from  ?  Bloomin eck,  I would have used all of them on THREE stands   !     :???:

You just opened a can of worms. There are so many opinions on this subject. 

To quote an instructor last week -  for all sporting disciplines except skeet he just uses 3/8 and 5/8 and then has his head free to focus on breaking clays.  

How many in the set ? Apart from your own choice of 3/4 and Full mine would include 1/2 and 5/8 for ESP with 1/4 & 3/8 for Skeet. 
1/4 and 3/8 for skeet?  They are only 25 yards away

I would have 2x cylinder for anything up to 25 yards 2x 1/4 for anything up to 35 yards 2 x3/8 for anything up to 50 yards and 1x 1/2 for silly distance.

I would have 2x cylinder for anything up to 25 yards 2x 1/4 for anything up to 35 yards 2 x3/8 for anything up to 50 yards and 1x 1/2 for silly distance.
I hadn't realised they're 25 yards otherwise I'd have opted for 5/8,  don't see the point in only injuring clays meself. 

2 x Skeet 

2 x 1/4

2 x 3/8

2 x 1/2

1 x 3/4

1 x Full

That is my 10 choke set that I use. Hope that helps.

its all personal preference  that's why I shoot fixed chokes  1/2 3/4    and use 9s  for clays at short range      saves a lot  of hassle     :frantics:  

I recently bought a used gun that came with 19 Teague chokes!  2 times all from the list above except for only one skeet. The previous owner obviously want to be prepared for anything!

As you have already decided on 3/4 and full for trap, my choice would be 3/8 - 3/8 for sporting, and skeet -  skeet for....skeet. That to me would just about cover all options for all disciplines, and if you need to choke twiddle for sporting.

I’ve just had my fixed choke Miruko turned into a multi with Briley chokes and am so pleased.  It was fixed at 1/2 and 1/2 and  felt I was at a disadvantage on close clays.  I’ve gone for 2 x Skeet as I’m going to practice that when nothing else on, 1/4, 3/8 and half.  I practiced with Skeet and 1/4 on a practice shoot and was amazed at what the Skeet hit like,  only thing is I keep forgetting I can change them so started Southdown masters with Skeet and 1/4 for the first 6 stands (and there was some tasty targets) and I never missed because of the chokes. Only thing was, yesterday ran so well, on the stands I messed up the targets were fairly close, I was first up and didn’t feel I had the chance to change them as I didn’t want to hold people up.

3/8 in both barrels is all I use for sporting.

Am far from knowledgeable but if you have 3/4 and full in the mix already then, Maybe just a pair of 3/8 and a skeet. Surely that will more than cover everything?

Now that is just asking for it !? :lol:   however even though I shoot exclusively only trap I think you are right about 1/2 being good out to 50+ but people have to have an excuse for those misses :lol:  even though everybody and their dog knows that choke is not the reason targets fail to break!

I only need 3 chokes  1/4 & 1/2. for sporting and 1/2 & full  for trap.

I only need 3 chokes  1/4 & 1/2. for sporting and 1/2 & full  for trap.
That's all you need to miss, if you had more combinations you might miss more than you do already !

I bought 7  chokes , 1/4 through to full , for no other reason than 2 in the gun and 5 in the case ...🤡 shiny thing addiction or what ?  .  I leave 3/8 and 5/8 in for sporting . I’ve got a few days pheasant shooting at the end of the year and will probably swop to 5/8 and 7/8 .  So to be honest I’ve got 4 that in real life will never get a lot of use . Think long and hard what you need v what you want !  

Haha i ended up doing the same for the same reason . . 😄

they recommend 3/8 and 5/8 for dtl which i was surprised by . have to say excellent experience dealing with them so far . looking forward to getting it back now . 

You got 3/4 and full for trap, you just need 2 1/4 chokes for most sporting and a half and 3/4 for the more testing targets, simples!

Latest posts

Back