GB SELETION SHOOTS NO PRIZE MONEY THIS YEAR?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your on to a loser if you are hosting a FITASC event instead of a Sporting event, however if you are a ground owner who is open all year round and host a FITASC event on a weekday perhaps in addition to Sporting then cant see you not making a profit as long as your fully booked up

dunno what the price is now but my best guess is for the england team fitasc selections its about £65 entry (im sure someone can clarify)

price for normal reg fitasc seems about £55-£60

price for reg sporting is £35-£37

I've only started shooting FITASC in the last few months, and love it. If there was more opportunity I would shoot it over normal sporting every time.

"clays cost the same, similar number of traps, blah blah blah"

My understanding is that to shoot new system, you need 15 traps per parcours, 4 parcours, so 60 traps. With ESP 10 stands of 2 traps equals 20 traps, some grounds use less, and some a few more. But I think that FITASC needs at least twice as many traps. In addition, you have effectively 12 hoops (stands) on a FITASC layout, with each stand large enough to have 5 traps on it. My conclusion is that FITASC also needs a lot more room that many sporting layouts.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I've done the sums wrong.

Never seeing the same target more than twice comes at a price, but I much prefer that, over trying to straight 5 of the same pairs in a row.
have to agree with you there Bob, quite often I shoot Sporting and I groan when I see a target that bores me [even to a point where i wont shoot it and save the carts] Ive yet to have that in Fitasc, early days of course

I've only started shooting FITASC in the last few months, and love it. If there was more opportunity I would shoot it over normal sporting every time.

"clays cost the same, similar number of traps, blah blah blah"

My understanding is that to shoot new system, you need 15 traps per parcours, 4 parcours, so 60 traps. With ESP 10 stands of 2 traps equals 20 traps, some grounds use less, and some a few more. But I think that FITASC needs at least twice as many traps. In addition, you have effectively 12 hoops (stands) on a FITASC layout, with each stand large enough to have 5 traps on it. My conclusion is that FITASC also needs a lot more room that many sporting layouts.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I've done the sums wrong.

Never seeing the same target more than twice comes at a price, but I much prefer that, over trying to straight 5 of the same pairs in a row.
i would shoot fitasc over sporting if the price was the same or at least similar

hardly any grounds shoot new system so that isnt really valid, the grounds already have the traps to do the job, its not like they hire them in just for fitasc.

4 layouts with 6 traps is 24 traps same as a 12 stand sporting shoot.

And there's the predicament for ground owners:

Old system - fewer traps, but a max of 20 shooters at any one time. Don't know what that means in terms of maximum entries that can be accommodated, but significantly less than sporting or new system FITASC.

New system - nearly triple the number of traps, but potentially 60 shooters at the same time, and I assume the maximum entry size would also triple.

Either way it's a balance between investment in traps and referees versus the max number of shooters that can participate.

Personally I've only shot at Southdown & Podimore, both new system.

When you read the above posts, it isn't difficult to see that Fitasc whilst enjoyable to shoot it is uneconomical for the grounds to operate.As I said in an earlier post the only way that it is really viable is to have a 100 Sporting running at the same time, which is even more traps and massive ground space.

But where do you draw the line?

Many of my usual grounds are having 140 entries every fortnight at £35 an entry = £4900

Fitasc 60 entries at £65 an entry = £3900

Which income would you prefer?

But of course I haven't deducted prize money from either which is what this thread is all about.

At the end of the day it's all about personal prefference to what you want to shoot, and what each individual can afford, no matter how expensive it is to set up and run if that what the costs are.

Whether there is prize money or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a well balanced thread!

Just to be contentious, did we ought to bring Helice into the discussions about costs, prize funds, value for money etc?

No - we oughtn't. :)

Regarding prize money - as the entry fee goes up, should the amount in the prize pot change? i.e. should it be a percentage rather than a flat fee?

You will never get big major corperate/company sponsorship from outside of the shooting world IMO.It's the nature of the beast as there is not enough/no media coverage,(I bet you won't see the olympic shooting events on main stream T.V at a sensible time if at all) and it is not a spectator sport that will draw in massive crowds like others.

No company is going to plough thousands into an event/sport on advertising etc that is only going to be seen buy the people who shoot and not buy joe public

Prize money will always be self funding, especially at club/registered level, the ground owners are running a business and need to make a profit, if it was non-profit making half the grounds would probably close over night, where would we be then.

Whats the answer? Who knows?

Nothing much is going to change in the near future,so just enjoy what you can.

No - we oughtn't. :)

Regarding prize money - as the entry fee goes up, should the amount in the prize pot change? i.e. should it be a percentage rather than a flat fee?
Interesting thought. Most grounds are doing their best to keep costs down though, this would add to the overall cost and probably lead to more 'target only' entries which would defeat the object ultimately.

What a well balanced thread!

Just to be contentious, did we ought to bring Helice into the discussions about costs, prize funds, value for money etc?
maybe it just proves the point that the more you have to pay to shoot the less entries your likely to get.

There is a hardcore who only shoot 'targets only' every time they shoot. Fair enough, if that works for them then so be it. Its very noticeable though that a good number of these shooters would actually win substantial sums had they entered the competition. This happens on every one of our competitions without fail. So, a six quid punt at a prize is hardly going to break the bank. Its a bacon sarny and a piece of cake for goodness sake!

A guy went birds only in C at the English open, only ended up third :huh: missed out on £200 :angry:

I've changed tack and now shoot competition for everything I'm classified in. You never know, I might have a good day!

Worked it out and since I have been going comp I am well in profit over my extra fiver or so per round. Not counting the paying for clays as I would do that anyway.

I used to think "I'm comp today so need to perform" and invariably didnt. Now I just dont think about it.

I now shoot bird only when I can as I have NO Chance and I enjoy it more, last Sunday I would have come 2nd and won £50 so what, its not going to change my life. Shooting gives me chance to switch off and relax (Ed I know you think I was always switched off).

The guy who came 3rd in C class at the open and lost £200, maybe he had a good round due to not worrying about a draw.

Lets face it If you did it for the money you would be bankrupt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back