Prize money.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone with the slightest business acumen will have done their costings . If they make an in depth and detailed business plan and their calculated returns dont match their capital investment, they shouldn't do it. It's their ground, their business and their call. If they get it wrong why should shooters have to pay over the odds to help bail them out. 
My point exactly, you are not paying 'over the odds' you are paying what it costs to run a decent shoot. No one sets up a business to make a loss. ( well that's not strictly true but that's another discussion ) 

My point exactly, you are not paying 'over the odds' you are paying what it costs to run a decent shoot. No one sets up a business to make a loss. ( well that's not strictly true but that's another discussion ) 
I never disagreed with what you said only the bit about the club house.  You seemed to suggest they are a financial drain on a shooting ground. My argument was that they shouldn't be. In fact if correctly planned and run, they should financially contribute to the overall set up.  

Hope that helps 

Irrespective of whether the club/ ground has a top quality club house, or a plastic toilet in a field, the point in question is, would people be prepared to pay a tenner into the prize pot rather than a fiver to increase the prize fund at registered shoots. The clubs/grounds with the top facilities will cover their costs in the price for the birds only price. It's about increasing the prize money, and do people actually want the prize fund increase, which has to be self financing by the shooters. Other than any sponsored prize for HG, or anything else, the prize money costs the grounds nothing, as it's paid for by the difference between comp and birds only money.

Comp fee has been typically £5 for at least 15 years. Realistically it should be £7 now just to have kept up with inflation. The fact that it has stayed £5 all this time probably indicates the resistance of so many shooters to pay it. Look at how many entries are BO on most score sheets. So, while I admire Steve Lovatt for trying so many innovative moves I think the evidence is against this one looking like a popular one. Prizes need to come from sponsors really, otherwise it’s all just a glorified lottery ticket and you can buy those without going shooting. 

Comp fee has been typically £5 for at least 15 years. Realistically it should be £7 now just to have kept up with inflation. The fact that it has stayed £5 all this time probably indicates the resistance of so many shooters to pay it. Look at how many entries are BO on most score sheets. So, while I admire Steve Lovatt for trying so many innovative moves I think the evidence is against this one looking like a popular one. Prizes need to come from sponsors really, otherwise it’s all just a glorified lottery ticket and you can buy those without going shooting. 
...And the trial will show if there is an appetite for more prize money, if not then obviously it will stay at £5.  As for sponsors on registered shoots, where does that come from? If you think it should be from the ground, then that will only have one effect, further increase in the entry fees, even for birds only to cover their out goings.

...And the trial will show if there is an appetite for more prize money, if not then obviously it will stay at £5.  As for sponsors on registered shoots, where does that come from? If you think it should be from the ground, then that will only have one effect, further increase in the entry fees, even for birds only to cover their out goings.
No, I mean actual sponsors, not ground owners. Shooting is a tough one for sponsoring because it’s not widely watched, so you’re dealing only with the shooters and friends at the event. You could probably do something inventive at a major like get a hotel chain involved with a cheap room deal also. Perhaps a food vending company, who could also set up sales at the event! Or country clothing etc. (Like the Jack Pyke shoot). Sponsorship is hard to sort and it isn’t charity. A two way deal needs to operate. I’m just saying that unless prizes come from elsewhere other than the shooters (which isn’t really prize money, it’s a calculated cash-back raffle) the fund will never be impressive. 

No, I mean actual sponsors, not ground owners. Shooting is a tough one for sponsoring because it’s not widely watched, so you’re dealing only with the shooters and friends at the event. You could probably do something inventive at a major like get a hotel chain involved with a cheap room deal also. Perhaps a food vending company, who could also set up sales at the event! Or country clothing etc. (Like the Jack Pyke shoot). Sponsorship is hard to sort and it isn’t charity. A two way deal needs to operate. I’m just saying that unless prizes come from elsewhere other than the shooters (which isn’t really prize money, it’s a calculated cash-back raffle) the fund will never be impressive. 
I can see where you come from with the majors or big open shoots for sponsors, but we are talking normal registered shoots. Most of the majors, big opens carry a higher entry fee any way, so who is actually paying for the prize money? It's a bit of a double edged sword really. People complain that prize money never increases, yet they are not prepared to put more in. Yet the majors and big shoots with their higher fee, they will sell out in an instant.

Either way if people want more prize money at normal registered shoots, they will have to stump up the cash.

I can see where you come from with the majors or big open shoots for sponsors, but we are talking normal registered shoots. Most of the majors, big opens carry a higher entry fee any way, so who is actually paying for the prize money? It's a bit of a double edged sword really. People complain that prize money never increases, yet they are not prepared to put more in. Yet the majors and big shoots with their higher fee, they will sell out in an instant.

Either way if people want more prize money at normal registered shoots, they will have to stump up the cash.
I agree Martin, but it’s not really prize money. That’s my point. When Djokovic wins £1m at Wimbledon it’s not because the other players had a whip round. 

Each to his own, as for I, the £3, £5 or if it comes to it £7.50 / £10 will be bunged in and will endeavour to triumph in my class, as that's what Ive taken it as what it is, a competition within each class. Paying for the hot shots? maybe when I get into AAA AA (like not ever) that might happen.

Each to his own, as for I, the £3, £5 or if it comes to it £7.50 / £10 will be bunged in and will endeavour to triumph in my class, as that's what Ive taken it as what it is, a competition within each class. Paying for the hot shots? maybe when I get into AAA AA (like not ever) that might happen.
Exactly that. It's also about keeping money in class as well. I also look at it as a competition within class. I'm not interested in what the scores are in other classes as I'm not in them. The big boys shoot for the HG, which is always there irrespective of class entries.

The upshot (excuse the pun) of it is, if people want bigger pots they have to put more money in, or take the birds only option if they don't want to play. It's not rocket science. In reality I can't see anything changing. £5 it is then.

Last edited by a moderator:
If years ago the Governing Bodies had made prize money to be paid out at reg shoots a percentage of entry money it would have solved the problem.  Some of the small club / unregistered shoots pay out a percentage of entry money, as entry money increased over the years, so did the prize fund. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, been talking to the owner of a large gunshop today and all cartridge prices have increased 7% across the board. Under £200 a thousand for 28gm is now a thing of the past. Maybe not the time to look to further increase costs with prize money fees

Latest posts

Back