Prize Money

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies, juniors, colts often get treated a bit differently as the grounds may have advertised prizes I suppose 
The only advertising I have ever seen is along the lines "cash prizes in classes and ladies, juniors and vets".    Now sometimes you might go to a shoot and they will say ladies (and I presume the other categories) dependent on entries but isn't the reality that the £5 was put towards Ladies or other category and not class therefore it should stay there?  Not that in the end it really makes a whole load of difference to me but I don't see the logic.

Money should stay in class as its the only fair way to do it,i have a had some AA class shooters tell me they think the class system is wrong and they want it divided equally among the membership thus putting more money into AA to win...obviously doesn't work.

But it is unlikely that anybody but AA plus is going win HG or any additional prizes so i feel that redresses the balance.

Money should stay in class and how many places paid to should depend on entry,why should money be taken from the lower classes to prop up the top when they have the chance of HG.

Prize money is marketing. Even when it’s paid by the competitors, so of course ground owners want it to appeal to as many customers as possible. I get that and if it helps shoots stay well attended then that’s great, indeed vital, for everyone.

Shooting is pretty unique though, where lesser skilled competitors compete for the same rewards as higher. (HG aside). 

This kind of thing, paying less in class than the class contributed dissuades people from entering the comp,and the contribution to the HG prize deffo a no no for us.  A chat this evening with our class comrades has shown an ignorance to this practice and a predictable reduction in fivers offered.
High Gun £ pot is, as far as Im aware put up by the Ground / Shoot Promoter and not from entries, also as WillH put to pay £5 to enter comp, winning and getiing £2 is “nuts” actually its worse than that but this west country lad is too polite. 

The classes are they not a “comp within a comp” ? Cash from the entrants should stay in class, even at the bookies if you’d wagered a £5 at the most miserable of odds on bet you’d get your £5er plus back.

Ground has got this wrong one feels

Prize money is marketing. Even when it’s paid by the competitors, so of course ground owners want it to appeal to as many customers as possible. I get that and if it helps shoots stay well attended then that’s great, indeed vital, for everyone.

Shooting is pretty unique though, where lesser skilled competitors compete for the same rewards as higher. (HG aside). 
Will because clubs are run by the members shooting competitions is very different down here. All the prize fund is drawn from the entry fee and there is no HG and you cannot shoot targets only. So shooting competitions down here is expensive normally €40 -45! If I was paying for targets only it would be €20! I had a discussion with the club president about shooting targets only in competitions as the number of entries for competitions at our club has fallen badly these last few years and targets only could be a way of getting more people shooting but he was not interested? The way I see it shooting competitions should be about the fun of competing first and prizes second. I am in Vet class always have been so to have any chance of getting prize money I need to shoot 90+ and to be honest I am just not that good so like it or not I have to donate €20 to the prize fund just to shoot a competition... only twice in four years have I covered my entry. Now I enjoy shooting comps that is why I do it and pay the price but I can understand why so many shooters just say no and stay away. One thing I will say though that is prize money is very fairly distributed eg winner gets €100 second get €95 third gets €90 there is never a bigger difference than 5 euro between places.

We asked them to stop throwing clays thru the sun,they didnt even respond.

It is a nice feeling getting the envelope, a rare one for me.

Not really, some of those Cs that shoot there seem to do very well.
C can be very random, sure.. Anyway, as I said earlier, prize money is all about marketing the shoot. It has little do to with just rewards in a conventional sport achievement sense. If Orston feels this will pull in punters, then it’s the right move for them.

I think if I ran a shoot, I would give everybody a free scratch card with their entry

Last edited by a moderator:
Daft I reckon. Just a big prize for B class win.
Zactly, and why reward a score that's likely 10 targets away from true excellence with the same amount !?  :huh:  

Scratch card is a fine idea to be honest as it's only a quid and there's bound to be someone who wins £50 quid and spends the rest of the day telling everyone  :lol: , another fine idea is simply shoot off scratch and reward the best, just like Dubai and there were no shortage of C/B's paying £2k plus to party.  :)

Zactly, and why reward a score that's likely 10 targets away from true excellence with the same amount !?  :huh:  

Scratch card is a fine idea to be honest as it's only a quid and there's bound to be someone who wins £50 quid and spends the rest of the day telling everyone  :lol: , another fine idea is simply shoot off scratch and reward the best, just like Dubai and there were no shortage of C/B's paying £2k plus to party.  :)
have a look at some of those B and C scores not really 10 targets sometimes not even 5 away from true excellence  :D

Any big payout at shoots normally says "subject to entries" so be careful, I doubt there will be lots of dosh being given away !

Just a thought regarding Orston's prize structure will this lead to a lack of interest by real B-C class shooters !!! most shoots now requiring a AA average to secure prize money in said classes ?? lorry loads of sharp sand could be seen heading that way hahaha

have a look at some of those B and C scores not really 10 targets sometimes not even 5 away from true excellence  :D
Believe me there is a world of difference between a 90 and a 95 and I dare say I've shot my fair share of the former in particular. 

Believe me there is a world of difference between a 90 and a 95 and I dare say I've shot my fair share of the former in particular. 
Yes I know that but there should be more of a difference between a C or a B for that matter and a AA/AAA even giving for being on the cusp of a move which they aren’t  don’t you think?  It’s not even as if it’s a one off.  Sooner they adapt the way you are classed the better and if it’s going to be a proper class system - more grounds be shot.

Latest posts

Back